General Best place to go in Canada in August?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
We are planning a vacation in late August. Never been to Canada. It will be just my wife and me. We usually spend a week in Breckinridge, CO, every summer, but we want to go to Canada.

Where should we consider going?

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
We are planning a vacation in late August. Never been to Canada. It will be just my wife and me. We usually spend a week in Breckinridge, CO, every summer, but we want to go to Canada.

definitely not ontario

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Pick a mountain

Jan 21, 2015
definitely not ontario
This.

I live near Toronto and it breaks my heart every time someone from Brazil or afar comes here to 'see Canada'. They go to Niagara Falls (not that great), see the CN Tower, or go to the fucking Eaton's Centre and think they had a Canadian experience.

1. Explore Vancouver Island (ISLAND). Hit the little ferries and islands up the coast, drive across to Tofino, etc. This is paradise imo I can help with some tips if you like.
2. Banff/Jasper FFS
3. Vancouver/Squamish/Whistler/Blackcomb

Last edited:

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
also whistler/vancouver/victoria is possible in the same week

banff/jasper/lake louise are a great little trip as well

vancouver island- victoria harbour/tofino/ the whole west coast of the island is probably the best place to be in canada in august. i like to go to botany bay at port renfrew and check out the tidal pools and watch for whales

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I know Ali Nestor and that LONGPLAY guy who beat Wes Sims. Does that qualify me for some sort of Canadian discount?

Jan 21, 2015
also whistler/vancouver/victoria is possible in the same week

banff/jasper/lake louise are a great little trip as well

vancouver island- victoria harbour/tofino/ the whole west coast of the island is probably the best place to be in canada in august. i like to go to botany bay at port renfrew and check out the tidal pools and watch for whales
man knows what he's talkin about

heaven out there

Jan 21, 2015
From Texas.

Is Quebec City worth spending five days at?
nope. One day maybe 2. One in Old Quebec, Day 2 rent electric bikes on the island. After that you're done lol

or am I missing something?

Pretty bleak out there in my experience. beyond that, just a lotta driving

M

member 1013

What are you and your family into?

If you want mountains and wilderness like Colorado then I would suggest Jasper National Park (quieter than Banff). It is still close to a major airport (Edmonton).

Banff is insanely busy in august. Finding accommodation can be hell and expensive. jason73 @jason73 would know this if he was cool like me.

I would recommend my personal vacation spot, Fairmont Hot Springs in interior BC as well, because I spent my whole life going there and love it.

If you like big cities Vancouver is boring and glum. Montreal is great but better for a single guy wink wink.

Toronto is great for city lovers if you’re weird like that, lots of museums, sports, culture, arts and entertainment. Great food too. Canada’s Wonderland, an amusement park with the second most roller coasters in the world (17), what is widely considered the best collection of non rollercoasters in the world and a large outdoor watermark is a great August day out. Catch a blue jays game and then head up to the CN tower, which for over 33 years was the worlds tallest freestanding structure and still in the top 5 I believe. walk on the glass floor and strap up for the edge walk, as you hang over a 365m drop. Take the kids to Niagara Falls to see one of the seven natural wonders of the world. Drink in a day of history and science at the royal Ontario museum, North America’s fourth largest. Enjoy a play, only London and NYC have a greater selection in the English world. Check out the Hockey Hall of Fame and then visit historic Fort York.

M

member 1013

Canada Boasts some of the best National Parks in the world. I have been to 24 out of about 35.

Some ones that are worth checking out:
Jasper and Banff (connected and the ice fields parkway is one of the most beautiful drives on earth)

Pukaskwa
Bruce Peninsula

La Maurice

Gros Morne

M

member 1013

I can go on. Unlike most of the chomos in this thread I have been to all 10 provinces, living in six. So I am actually qualified to recommend places in the whole nation and not give in to petty regionalism.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I can go on. Unlike most of the chomos in this thread I have been to all 10 provinces, living in six. So I am actually qualified to recommend places in the whole nation and not give in to petty regionalism.
You seem knowledgeable. I’m onboard. Tell us where to go and that will be where we go.

Jan 21, 2015
What are you and your family into?

If you want mountains and wilderness like Colorado then I would suggest Jasper National Park (quieter than Banff). It is still close to a major airport (Edmonton).

Banff is insanely busy in august. Finding accommodation can be hell and expensive. jason73 @jason73 would know this if he was cool like me.

I would recommend my personal vacation spot, Fairmont Hot Springs in interior BC as well, because I spent my whole life going there and love it.

If you like big cities Vancouver is boring and glum. Montreal is great but better for a single guy wink wink.

Toronto is great for city lovers if you’re weird like that, lots of museums, sports, culture, arts and entertainment. Great food too. Canada’s Wonderland, an amusement park with the second most roller coasters in the world (17), what is widely considered the best collection of non rollercoasters in the world and a large outdoor watermark is a great August day out. Catch a blue jays game and then head up to the CN tower, which for over 33 years was the worlds tallest freestanding structure and still in the top 5 I believe. walk on the glass floor and strap up for the edge walk, as you hang over a 365m drop. Take the kids to Niagara Falls to see one of the seven natural wonders of the world. Drink in a day of history and science at the royal Ontario museum, North America’s fourth largest. Enjoy a play, only London and NYC have a greater selection in the English world. Check out the Hockey Hall of Fame and then visit historic Fort York.
Great post

maybe I am being too harsh on Toronto, you can for sure have a lot of fun here

I'm just big on nature I guess/miss the island and mountains living here
But if you're from Colorado maybe that's no big deal

M

member 1013

A road trip through the maritimes and then Taking a ferry to Newfoundland is fun. The east coast is very affordable. Hike the Cabot Trail, visit the red beaches of PEI after driving confederation bridge, maybe the longest in the world. Whale watch and see the worlds largest tide in spectacular bay of fundy. Visit the fjordlands of Gros Morne in Newfoundland and pet a moose

M

member 1013

A road trip through the maritimes and then Taking a ferry to Newfoundland is fun. The east coast is very affordable. Hike the Cabot Trail, visit the red beaches of PEI after driving confederation bridge, maybe the longest in the world. Whale watch and see the worlds largest tide in spectacular bay of fundy. Visit the fjordlands of Gros Morne in Newfoundland and pet a moose
On the ferry you and your kids can sleep on the deck as the sounds of the North Atlantic lull you to sleep

M

member 1013

You seem knowledgeable. I’m onboard. Tell us where to go and that will be where we go.
Well really, what would you guys like out of the vacation? What are your favourite things to do? Then you will start getting very in depth answers from everyone except the hate squad from BC