IMG/GIF Better one-punch KO?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Which KO is better?

• O'Malley KO of Wineland

• Garbrandt KO of Assunção

Results are only viewable after voting.
M

member 3289

I'd give it to O'Malley simply cause Cody's had him do one of those fakes where in theory, he could've gotten ktfo himself by a headkick, where as the dude with rainbow hair KOd someone from a nice fake, and he didn't place his own head in danger
He was asked at the presser or in the post-fight interview about the danger getting headkicked and he said he knew Assunção didn't throw kicks when standing southpaw, which is one of the things Cody was waiting for (the stance switch) before throwing that punch

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I like O’Malley’s because it was more calculated, executed smoothly...

Cody’s was good too but it was more of a gamble
This. although Cody's was incredible, and the timing as the last punch of the round made it magical, Sean's was technically perfect.
and he did it to Eddie Wineland. Rafael is a tough dude, but we've seen him wobbled and KOed. I don't remember Eddie getting knocked stupid or KOed ever.

Cody's punch might get him knocked out if he bites on a feint, but Sean's was a work of art. How long was Eddie snoring over there?

M

member 3289

Rafael is a tough dude, but we've seen him wobbled and KOed.
One time, over 9 years ago, and in a different weight class. Never at bantamweight.

I don't remember Eddie getting knocked stupid or KOed ever.

He'd been KO'd or TKO'd 3 times before the O'Malley fight, and two of those times were more recent than Assunção's last KO loss.

Assunção was ranked #5 before last Saturday, Wineland was unranked.

How long was Eddie snoring over there?
Not as long as Assunção.

Not arguing that Cody's punch was more technical (it wasn't), but the path you traveled to make your points is ridiculously erroneous.

tl;dr Great post would read again

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Both were incredible. Sean's was more skillful, Cody's was more exciting. I voted Sean because I am more impressed by a technical set up and delivery than a haymaker, but that is not intended to take away from how awesome Garbrant's finish was.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Both were incredible. Sean's was more skillful, Cody's was more exciting. I voted Sean because I am more impressed by a technical set up and delivery than a haymaker, but that is not intended to take away from how awesome Garbrant's finish was.
the only time we've seen Eddie clean KOed was when he ate the exact same punch from Johnny Eduardo that Cody delivered to Rafael, but nobody talks about the AMAZING KO that Johnny delivered. Haymaker right hook landed with devastating power, but I didn't find anything particularly impressive about the punch...except for the result.

But lots of punches give that same result...like O'Malley's punch. ;)

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Both of the KOs were sudden and complete but to be perfectly honest I was not impressed by either. When you are striking and you keep your left hand at cock level, like you are saddling up to a urinal, then you are going to get KTFO against someone with power...

And the idea that Raphael was fooled by a takedown fake out is a bit of a stretch. He was walking around with his guard down the whole time and didn't really react to the TD fake much. It froze him a little but he even went through with his lame body hook...

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Voted Garbrandt because it was so casual, and less than a second before the bell.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I missed the PPV and this was the first time I have seen the KO's. O'Malley KO was an impressive natural / trained reflex but the Garbradnt KO was read, anticipated and followed through.

I saw the opening that Assuncao presented for a left hook in that gif and Cody saw it too. He baited him and threw with bad intentions while knowing that if he missed he would be wide open.

After his last three losses, I'm happy he's not cowering when he sees an opportunity to end the fight.

M

member 3289

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I didn't use to like Cody but now I'm a fan. I guess I felt sympathy for the guy after he got knocked out 3 straight times.

So tbh I'm glad that O'Malley doesn't want that fight right now. Sean is a very dangerous fighter and tbh I'd like to see Cody win the belt back before having to fight him.
I'd like to see O'Malley v Aldo and Garbrandt v Sterling or Yan while the UFC and Cejudo figure out if he's retired or not. If they both win those fights they should fight for contender or vacant belt status.