Big Nog takes scouting gig with the UFC, hasn't decided if he will retire yet

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira did have that talk with Dana White. You know, the same one the UFC president had with Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes when their careers became unbearable to watch with their will to keep fighting even though their bodies could hardly take any more punishment.

The last drop for Nogueira was his unanimous decision loss to Stefan Struve this past Saturday, at UFC 190. Although Big Nog may have spoken to Dana White, who offered him a scout position which he's accepted, that does not mean he is through fighting just yet.

"He showed interest in me working with the UFC in finding new talents, which is something I already do, some kind of scout," Nogueira told Portal do Vale Tudo. "I accepted, but I will keep training and I haven't said if I will retire or not. The fight ended recently, I will still think about what I will do next. I like to train and I love the atmosphere of a camp. When people ask me what I like to do the most, I tell them it's training, to perfect an armbar or whatever, I like to wake up and have a goal."

LINK: Big Nog takes scouting gig with the UFC, hasn't decided if he will retire yet - Bloody Elbow

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Only thing harder to swallow than razor blades is your pride...hope he retires..

scm1

Aug 5, 2015
46 professional MMA fights should be more than enough to call it quits. Especially on that level.
He is still the second best HW of all time.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
He's had an amazing and storied career. I hope he hangs up his gloves but continues training and teaching. He's got to have so much knowledge that he can spread to the younger generation of fighters coming up.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Big Nog's legacy is sealed. Hang em up & move on to the next phase in life.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Big Nog's legacy is sealed. Hang em up & move on to the next phase in life.
Should have retired after the Couture fight imo.Would have been a perfect retirement. No doubt the 2nd best HW ever but he added some unnecessary losses to his record and took more punishment then he needed. Hope newer fans can appreciate what Nog did for the sport.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Should have retired after the Couture fight imo.Would have been a perfect retirement. No doubt the 2nd best HW ever but he added some unnecessary losses to his record and took more punishment then he needed. Hope newer fans can appreciate what Nog did for the sport.
That was a sick fight..couldn't believe how bad he was ragdolling Randy...

scm1

Aug 5, 2015
Just to remind everybody that Big Nog was #1 HW before Fedor took Pride belt from him.

Here is their careers compared on one diagram:

Thick line is how Current Score was changing historically, and dashed is category ranking (1000 = #1, 900=#3)

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
big nog has to be in a position to retire comfortably. he has been at the top for a long time.he made big buck in pride and medium bucks in ufc. getting paid american money and living in brazil must stretch your money pretty far.he has a great legacy and the respect he deserves.it has been time to hang them up for a while now.its good to see the ufc offer him a job.big nog is one of the good guys in the sport.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I personally want one more Mir fight. I know he will win, and that's how he should go out. And it's what he wants to do.
Nog would push it past the first, end it, retire as solid #2. He's still as tough as ever.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I don't have a problem with Big Nog retiring, the issue is they already have what over 400-500 fighters on roster. How about mold and develop them before adding new talent, these guys and ladies aren't fighting enough to make a living.