General Big Tech is out of control

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Uphill or downhill?
Mostly flat. I’ve become a pretty slow and lazy runner.

On this other topic, upon some self-analysis (while running), I’m being at least partly disingenuous here. I am absolutely against banning Trump or anyone, personally, unless the banning is necessary and I don’t think it was necessary here. I’m just personally enjoying seeing Trump have to suffer a little. It’s petty of me, to be totally truthful.

At the same time, I’m not worried that the banning portends anything more nefarious. I definitely could be wrong.

I also feel confident that Twitter isn’t a state actor subject to first amendment scrutiny, particularly in the way people seem to sometimes think. (On a side note, and I’m sure I’ll regret giving away this part of my private life, I gave a talk to 800+ students on the first amendment the other day (early December, actually), and I boned up on current case law before giving the talk. I’m not a lecturer, and I was especially worried about getting burned by some gunner asking questions, so I studied up hard. I say all this only to point out that I hit this specific area hard, reading cases and some scholarly articles. Not saying I’m an authority or an expert, but I feel pretty caught up on this area of first amendment law.)

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's almost like it's a free speech issue.
Except in America the concept of free speech, aka the first Amendment, is between the government and the citizens of the country. Twatter, Facebook, etc are not the US Government, they are private corporations.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Twatter, Facebook, etc are not the US Government, they are private corporations.
Except they aren't regulated the same way private corporations and that's the rub. If they were, they'd be liable for anything that happens on their platforms. As I've already said, that's why Jack doesn't want bannings and censorship.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Except they aren't regulated the same way private corporations and that's the rub. If they were, they'd be liable for anything that happens on their platforms. As I've already said, that's why Jack doesn't want bannings and censorship.
Should newspapers be forced to publish every letter to the editor? Or is it ok for them to pick and choose what they publish?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Should newspapers be forced to publish every letter to the editor? Or is it on for them to pick and choose what they publish?
Are you pretending those 2 things are remotely the same? Is there any reason you continually ignore the actual issue which I've pointed out more than once?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Are you pretending those 2 things are remotely the same? Is there any reason you continually ignore the actual issue which I've pointed out more than once?
They are very much they same. You've pointed it out, that doesn't mean I agree with it. I've stated my stance on this already.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
They are very much they same.
Newspapers are not intended to be a town square. They are not at all the same.

You've pointed it out, that doesn't mean I agree with it. I've stated my stance on this already.
I'd be interested to hear it again, as I don't recall seeing it outside of "Business can run how it wants" which doesn't address it all.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Newspapers are not intended to be a town square. They are not at all the same.

I'd be interested to hear it again, as I don't recall seeing it outside of "Business can run how it wants" which doesn't address it all.
The newspaper example is exactly why I used the letters to the editor as an example. Local newspapers are very much like a town square where you learn about what's going on in the area you live.

I don't believe a bakery should be forced to bake a cake for someone they don't want to, for whatever reason they may have, even if the reason is something I disagree with. Similarly I dont think an app store should be forced to carry apps they don't want, and I don't think social media companies should be forced to have users they don't want.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
The newspaper example is exactly why I used the letters to the editor as an example. Local newspapers are very much like a town square where you learn about what's going on in the area you live.
Not where I live they sure as fuck aren't. They also aren't supposed to be.

I don't believe a bakery should be forced to bake a cake for someone they don't want to, for whatever reason they may have, even if the reason is something I disagree with. Similarly I dont think an app store should be forced to carry apps they don't want, and I don't think social media companies should be forced to have users they don't want.
Bakeries aren't absolved from liability based on the activity of their business. Tech companies enjoy the freedom of being treated like a public utility and enjoy the protections that come with that, but also are allowed to operate with impunity because "They're just a private business like any other". If tech companies want to act as if they're a brick and mortar business that's fine, but then they should be regulated that way. Right now they get to eat their cake and have it too.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Not where I live they sure as fuck aren't. They also aren't supposed to be.

Bakeries aren't absolved from liability based on the activity of their business. Tech companies enjoy the freedom of being treated like a public utility and enjoy the protections that come with that, but also are allowed to operate with impunity because "They're just a private business like any other". If tech companies want to act as if they're a brick and mortar business that's fine, but then they should be regulated that way. Right now they get to eat their cake and have it too.
Well we aren't talking about Canada.
I disagree.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I disagree.
So you think that tech should be able to deplatform people in the interest of public safety, but not be responsible when they allow people to use their platform to undermine it? Because no other private industry is afforded that.