Bisping says he’s ‘never had a $1 million payday’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

This summer, the next step of Bisping’s underdog title reign will unfold when Bisping returns from knee surgery to make the second defense of his belt, with the Brit preferring a timetable of either June or July. And though Olympic medalist Yoel Romero is the assumed No. 1 contender for the next shot at Bisping’s title, “The Count” continues to hold out hope that he can land a much bigger fight against UFC luminary Georges St-Pierre.

“The only reason I’m saying Georges St-Pierre is because I know he wants to fight me, and I was offered a fight with him. That’s the only reason he’s in my mind,” Bisping said this week on The MMA Hour. “If I wasn’t offered a fight with him [in 2016], I wouldn’t be thinking Georges St-Pierre. But that just got that carrot dangled in front of my face of a several-million-dollar payday. Call me stupid, but I want that f*cking carrot. I want that several million dollars in my bank account. I want it for my children’s sake, for my family, for when I’m retired so we can still live a good life.

“That’s why I’m doing it. Not because I’m trying to rob the UFC, or rob the fans of the No. 1 contender, or do wrong to Yoel Romero. I want it for my family’s sake. So in a perfect world, I fight Georges St-Pierre, I will beat Georges St-Pierre, I will not be injured in that fight Georges because Georges never injures anybody in a fight, and then I will do a quick turnaround, within six weeks I will fight Yoel Romero. That’s what he wants, that’s what he’ll get. I’ll guarantee you right now, hand on my heart.”

“I’ll say this, and with the greatest respect to the company and Dana White — Dana has always been very fair with me, Dana has always treated me with respect, and this and that, and I’ve always been happy. I’ve always been happy with the amount of money I’ve been paid. But now I see we’re in a new age in the UFC, and I see gigantic paydays going around that I have never been a part of,” Bisping said. “I’ve done very well, don’t get me wrong. I’ve done very well, without getting into specifics, but I see other people now making a lot more money and that does piss me off a little bit.

“I just would like to be a part of one of these gigantic cards before I retire. That’s all. Just to get a big payday that I can retire on. Now, could I retire now and lead the rest of my life? No, I can’t. As I said, has the UFC always paid me well? Yes, they have. And I’ve got no qualms. I’ve always signed contracts, and at the time, I’ve always been happy signing those contracts. So I can’t say that. But I see Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor getting $3 million guaranteed, plus pay-per-view, so that would be $10 million paydays. I’ve never had a $10 million payday. I’ve never had a $1 million payday. So yeah, of course, that’s why I want the money fights. Who doesn’t want that? I’ve done this my entire life. I’ve dedicated myself to this sport."

A vet of 27 UFC fights, Bisping has ‘never had a $1 million payday’

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
im on team bisping. i hope he gets GSP

"Call me stupid, but I want that f*cking carrot. I want that several million dollars in my bank account. I want it for my children’s sake, for my family, for when I’m retired so we can still live a good life."

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
I have gone back and forth on Bisping over the years. I hated him for a long time then started liking him later in his career. I still say he lucked his way into a championship. He isn't the best MW in the world, but if anyone deserves a big payday he does. He has put in his time, pay the man. However, I don't think the big payday needs to come in the form of a "super fight" with GSP. He should have to fight a top contender in his weight class. If that's Yoel then so be it. Just put that fight on the same card as GSP vs ??? and Bisping will still get the PPV points.

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
I have gone back and forth on Bisping over the years. I hated him for a long time then started liking him later in his career. I still say he lucked his way into a championship. He isn't the best MW in the world, but if anyone deserves a big payday he does. He has put in his time, pay the man. However, I don't think the big payday needs to come in the form of a "super fight" with GSP. He should have to fight a top contender in his weight class. If that's Yoel then so be it. Just put that fight on the same card as GSP vs ??? and Bisping will still get the PPV points.
a GSP vs a yoel PPV are materially different tho, no? maybe im giving GSP too much credit for his PPV numbers

id imagine that his return fight is going to be big tho. smart move by bisping to try to get it

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Disagree. Put his time in? He's beaten ONE prime fighter who was good - Rockhold. And in all honesty, both men are 1-1.

Other than that? He's fought past it legends, and even his wins over them are questionable (and he's also 1-1 with Hendo).

So no, he hasn't put his time in, he just kept getting put to the back and everyone got old in the process. He beat so many nobodies and caught the right people at the right time. Hence him being champ.

I hope GSP goes back to welter or lightweight, not middleweight. That way Bisping HAS to face a top middle, and GSP can fight someone better.

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
Disagree. Put his time in? He's beaten ONE prime fighter who was good - Rockhold. And in all honesty, both men are 1-1.

Other than that? He's fought past it legends, and even his wins over them are questionable (and he's also 1-1 with Hendo).

So no, he hasn't put his time in, he just kept getting put to the back and everyone got old in the process. He beat so many nobodies and caught the right people at the right time. Hence him being champ.

I hope GSP goes back to welter or lightweight, not middleweight. That way Bisping HAS to face a top middle, and GSP can fight someone better.
"putting in time" is about much more than beating "prime" fighters in their prime imo. hes put in countless hours training and doing media over the years

so i respectfully disagree. he's "put in his time" imo

as far as wanting to game the system and not fight romero... i cant argue that. technically romero is the only thing that makes sense. but im rooting for GSP bc my love for people is greater than love for the sport

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
a GSP vs a yoel PPV are materially different tho, no? maybe im giving GSP too much credit for his PPV numbers

id imagine that his return fight is going to be big tho. smart move by bisping to try to get it
I think the img model sees gsp as selling well to the mainstream people and giving him a belt makes it even more marketable.

I, for one, have no interest at all in that fight. Would be a snooze fest.

Yoel fight doesn't sell, would need to be either co-main or on a main card somewhere but not a main event unless they do it in London

StillReal

My name is Mark.
Mar 19, 2016
I'm a piece of shit poster because I didn't read OP but...

Why would he? He has been a mid-card talent for basically his whole career. When he main events, he main events against a bigger name and usually has lost.

I'm a massive Count fan, but if you want McGregor money, draw like McGregor.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
"putting in time" is about much more than beating "prime" fighters in their prime imo. hes put in countless hours training and doing media over the years

so i respectfully disagree. he's "put in his time" imo

as far as wanting to game the system and not fight romero... i cant argue that. technically romero is the only thing that makes sense. but im rooting for GSP bc my love for people is greater than love for the sport
That logic can be applied to 99.9% of fighters, yet that same percentage of fighters don't deserve a big pay day.

Mike is on the best streak of his career but it is against washed-up fighters, a guy that has already beat his ass, a BJJ guy and CB Dolloway.

Hardly a great streak. And to have Weidman, Jacarae, Romero to fight buy you want a guy from the division below you who is contemplating fighting in the division BELOW that!? Come on, Mike. Stop being deluded.

Edit: agree but may be used "past their prime" rather than "washed up" to keep it respectful - L

Last edited by a moderator:

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
That logic can be applied to 99.9% of fighters, yet that same percentage of fighters don't deserve a big pay day.
Yep. Putting in time doesn't make you worth money, bringing in money makes you worth money.

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016

Mike is on the best streak of his career but it is against washed-up fighters, a guy that has already beat his ass, a BJJ guy and CB Dolloway.

Hardly a great streak. And to have Weidman, Jacarae, Romero to fight buy you want a guy from the division below you who is contemplating fighting in the division BELOW that!? Come on, Mike. Stop being deluded.
i totally hear ya. he's in a position to try for a significantly bigger pay day tho. most fighters arent. so here's my logic

if bisping fights romero or GSP. my life does really change either way. and for most people, its the same. there will be 0 lasting impact years from now

but if bisping fights GSP instead of romero, his life will materilly change. and i support that =)

im a hopeless romntic sometimes. sorry. i can see where ur coming from as u r a true fan of the sport

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Shit in one hand and wish in the other. See which fills up first.

I want a million dollar paycheck too. The top contenders also have families to feed Mikey

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015

Give credit where its due fuck me. You could go through every champ and discredit there wins its just ridiculous.

Everyone got old in the process... No USADA came around and all the clean fighters rose to the top.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Give credit where its due fuck me. You could go through every champ and discredit there wins its just ridiculous.

Everyone got old in the process... No USADA came around and all the clean fighters rose to the top.
So Hendo wasn't in his late 40's? Anderson wasn't YEARS past his best? USADA has been around for years, these guys got old. Didn't Silva get a dubious decision win over DEREK BRUNSON?!?! Come on, son. Come on. Andy is YEARS past his best. The fact that Mike went life and death with him shows how shit Mike is.

Give over, you cretin. Look at his W/L Column, it's absolutely ABSURD that Bisping is moaning about never earning a million.

I wouldn't mind had Mike beat Romero, Weidman and Jacarae and THEN said this, but the fact is he hasn't beaten ONE opponent since becoming champ and he wants to fight a guy a division below, who happens to want to fight a division BELOW that!

I've seen him in the UK and I've seen cards without him in the UK and THE BRAND (UFC) has packed the arena, not Bisping. GSP packs arenas in Canada AND America. Mike can't even do it in his own country!

So he's got no pulling power, hasn't been on a streak since being champ, hasn't won the belt multiple times, he's done nothing.

No I couldn't go through every champ and discredit them.

GSP? DESTROYED THE BEST competition.

Bones? Same as.

Guys like that are worthy of coming back and getting the big pay days, not Mike.

As much as I dislike the man had he done ANYTHING go note I'd have backed him, but he's just trying to milk it.

Edit: please don't call fighters shit - L

Last edited by a moderator:

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm a piece of shit poster because I didn't read OP but...

Why would he? He has been a mid-card talent for basically his whole career. When he main events, he main events against a bigger name and usually has lost.

I'm a massive Count fan, but if you want McGregor money, draw like McGregor.
He's been a kid card talent earning main event money for most of his career. Just not that giant money.

Fuck it was probably 5 years ago he signed a multi fight 400k deal

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
So Hendo wasn't in his late 40's? Anderson wasn't YEARS past his best? USADA has been around for years, these guys got old. Didn't Silva get a dubious decision win over DEREK BRUNSON?!?! Come on, son. Come on. Andy is YEARS past his best. The fact that Mike went life and death with him shows how shit Mike is.

Give over, you cretin. Look at his W/L Column, it's absolutely ABSURD that Bisping is moaning about never earning a million.

I wouldn't mind had Mike beat Romero, Weidman and Jacarae and THEN said this, but the fact is he hasn't beaten ONE opponent since becoming champ and he wants to fight a guy a division below, who happens to want to fight a division BELOW that!

I've seen him in the UK and I've seen cards without him in the UK and THE BRAND (UFC) has packed the arena, not Bisping. GSP packs arenas in Canada AND America. Mike can't even do it in his own country!

So he's got no pulling power, hasn't been on a streak since being champ, hasn't won the belt multiple times, he's done nothing.

No I couldn't go through every champ and discredit them.

GSP? DESTROYED THE BEST competition.

Bones? Same as.

Guys like that are worthy of coming back and getting the big pay days, not Mike.

As much as I dislike the man had he done ANYTHING go note I'd have backed him, but he's just trying to milk it.
Bisping is 37 with one eye and he beat them both and knocked Rockhold out on 2weeks notice.

Yea and his loses are to proven cheats. Since USADA he is undefeated he would wreck any of those guys now they cant juice.

There have been rumours circulating for months about a potential fight with GSP and Bisping why wouldnt he want that fight?

Lol at the garbage your spilling, Bisping is the best MW in the world just because you dont like him doesnt mean he sucks.

Obviously you can because you just picked a champion you dont like and did it. The better fighter wins everytime whether you like it or not.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Bisping is 37 with one eye and he beat them both and knocked Rockhold out on 2weeks notice.

Yea and his loses are to proven cheats. Since USADA he is undefeated he would wreck any of those guys now they cant juice.

There have been rumours circulating for months about a potential fight with GSP and Bisping why wouldnt he want that fight?

Lol at the garbage your spilling, Bisping is the best MW in the world just because you dont like him doesnt mean he sucks.

Obviously you can because you just picked a champion you dont like and did it. The better fighter wins everytime whether you like it or not.
Go away.