Bisping vs GSP Official for UFC 217 at MSG

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping claims his next title defense against Georges St-Pierre is finally official, and it will go down at UFC 217 in New York City.

Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) today announced the bout with St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) on FS1’s “UFC Tonight,” on which he frequently serves as a co-host.

“This is actually the third time I’ve been offered this fight, so the ship’s sailed twice,” Bisping said. “On this occasion, on the third occasion, it set off sailing but did a U-turn and it pulled up at New York City. I’ve got a chirpy little Englishman who’s going to fight Georges St-Pierre, Madison Square Garden, Nov. 4. It is official. Do not miss it. We’re taking over.”

Champ Michael Bisping says Georges St-Pierre title bout official for UFC 217 in NYC

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Tough fight to call. GSP hasn't fought in so long. Bisping has size, great takedown defense, and the ability to not get jabbed to death.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
Bad matchmaking for the sport. Still an interesting fight.

Question: if I'm a top 10-15 fighter, what do I need to do to earn a title shot and avoid crazy delays caused by stuff like this? What's my recourse?

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Is he over the hill tho or is that a built in excuse for when he loses
Haha fair enough.. hence I said hopefully over the hill because gsp is a bad bad match up for ol Mikey.. he mixes in his takedowns of beautiful entries to takedowns off his striking..Tim Kennedy and Chael took him down.. they aren't 1/10th the striker or athlete with speed that gsp has.. he is legendary for owning bigger guys in sparring and takes them all down..Chael himself said gsp was the second physically imposing guy hes ever grappled with behind legendary Olympian and World champion Pan am champ wrestling monster Les Gutches..GSP by UD 4 rounds to 1

Joemacka

Bisping is GOAT
Oct 19, 2015
Haha fair enough.. hence I said hopefully over the hill because gsp is a bad bad match up for ol Mikey.. he mixes in his takedowns of beautiful entries to takedowns off his striking..Tim Kennedy and Chael took him down.. they aren't 1/10th the striker or athlete with speed that gsp has.. he is legendary for owning bigger guys in sparring and takes them all down..Chael himself said gsp was the second physically imposing guy hes ever grappled with behind legendary Olympian and World champion Pan am champ wrestling monster Les Gutches..GSP by UD 4 rounds to 1
That was all before USADA came into play. Bisping will have the cardio striking and size advantage. I expect GSP to get one or two takedowns but he wont be able to maintain it. First fight for GSP at 185 he will gas badly.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
That was all before USADA came into play. Bisping will have the cardio striking and size advantage. I expect GSP to get one or two takedowns but he wont be able to maintain it. First fight for GSP at 185 he will gas badly.
You had me intrigued until you said he will gas

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I don't think GSP would be coming back unless he was certain he would win. I've also always thought he was clean and do not think that he will look different in his fight with Bisbing.

I guess both those assumptions will soon be put to the test.

mmadotcomisufcdotcom

Oct 26, 2015
Tough fight to call. GSP hasn't fought in so long. Bisping has size, great takedown defense, and the ability to not get jabbed to death.
Bisping always comes to fight. Also he is great at getting back up and avoiding takedowns.

It will have to be one hell of a fight for gsp to win.

C

Ceiling Fan

On paper (don't factor in age or primes or any of that crap), Bisping's list of matchups has to be in line with the toughest consecutive series of fights in MMA history. I can't think of too many more, other than Jones, Wandy, Hunto and maybe Mir. Just in terms of names, let's keep it simple and not fight about it like many posters are wont to do.

Anderson Silva
Luke Rockhold, champ at the time
Dan Henderson
Georges St-Pierre

Jones:
Shogun
Rampage
Machida
Rashad
Vitor

Wandy:
Cro Cop
Henderson
Liddell
Jardine
Jackson

Hunto:
Barnett
Fedor
Overeem
Manhoef (oops)
Mousasi

Mir:
Big Nog
JDS
Cormier
Barnett
Reem

Let's think of other insane lineups a fighter had to face consecutively.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
I'm disgusted with these match-ups, makes no sense for a guy who has been retired since USADA came to town to automatically show up and get a title shot in a division he has never fought in.

Easy fight for Bisping -- Lets get this shit show over with so GSP can be exposed and Bisping can retire as the most hated MW Champ in the history of the UFC. (Due to his hail marry win over Luke then ducking top contenders)

UFC has made a critical mistake by throwing out the rankings system for "Money Fights". This will come back to bite them in the ass once all their money fights are over and they realize they no longer have stars.

Rankings System / Tournaments help build stars, allows fans to follow certain fighters rise to the top of the hill ....but now that model has been tossed out the window and the UFC will be in no man's land within 3 years.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
On paper (don't factor in age or primes or any of that crap), Bisping's list of matchups has to be in line with the toughest consecutive series of fights in MMA history. I can't think of too many more, other than Jones, Wandy, Hunto and maybe Mir. Just in terms of names, let's keep it simple and not fight about it like many posters are wont to do.

Anderson Silva
Luke Rockhold, champ at the time
Dan Henderson
Georges St-Pierre

Jones:
Shogun
Rampage
Machida
Rashad
Vitor

Wandy:
Cro Cop
Henderson
Liddell
Jardine
Jackson

Hunto:
Barnett
Fedor
Overeem
Manhoef (oops)
Mousasi

Mir:
Big Nog
JDS
Cormier
Barnett
Reem

Let's think of other insane lineups a fighter had to face consecutively.

Dan Henderson

Fedor
Shogun
Rashad
Vitor
Shogun
Cormeir
Mousasi

Sakuraba

Wanderlei
Rampage
Wanderlei
Crocop

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I don't think GSP would be coming back unless he was certain he would win. I've also always thought he was clean and do not think that he will look different in his fight with Bisbing.

I guess both those assumptions will soon be put to the test.
He'll be bigger. I'm not saying massive bigger, but he'll be bigger.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Easy fight for Bisping -- Lets get this shit show over with so GSP can be exposed and Bisping can retire as the most hated MW Champ in the history of the UFC.
How exactly does a loss "expose" GSP? I give GSP and Danaher a lot of credit for being really, really smart guys. But by any metric this should be a walk in the park for the Count.