BJJ politics in your area

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
What are the politics like in the BJJ scene where you are? Do a lot of guys go to open mats at various schools, and do you get a lot of guests from other schools at your open mat? What about guys switching schools or training at different schools on different days?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
What are the politics like in the BJJ scene where you are? Do a lot of guys go to open mats at various schools, and do you get a lot of guests from other schools at your open mat? What about guys switching schools or training at different schools on different days?
Long story short, our club has multiple locations and over 1000 students. We also have classes 6 days a week. There are definitely politics that play in, but there isn't really any incentive to train at any of the other local schools. The next closest school had a want ad on Kijiji for an instructor "Looking for BJJ instructor for our new program, must have at least 6 months experience" Yes, I'm serious. The only other places that might be worth checking out would be one of the older Judo clubs, and I think a Sambo school has opened in the past year or so. Our instructors come from a pretty diverse background though. So between that, and my already limited training schedule, there isn't much else I'd be looking in.

Guys will join our school from other places, not many ever leave though. We'll get out of towners from affiliates train at our club we don't do drop ins though.

The Closed Guard

Sep 19, 2015
In our area 99% of the schools promote cross training, My Instructor who is a pretty decent sized name thinks cross training is the best thing to do. My best friends gym (he's a black belt, not the owner) doesn't allow cross training at all, very old school mentality. The guy who runs the school has always been cool to me, but I feel REALLY bad for his students.

Star-Lord

Saving the Universe one Fight at a Time
Amateur Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Our area used to be very old school as in you don't train anywhere else, which I hated. I moved and my game jumped a ton, then I moved back and bounced around until the area became a little more lax with their cross training ideas. Now I run a school and I let everyone come and train and tell my guys to cross train as much as possible.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
BJJ in Columbia, SC has more drama than The Lifetime Channel.
Is this fairly recent? A few years ago it seemed like a lot of the Columbia schools were on good terms and cross-training. Now I am suddenly hearing about all sorts of drama on Facebook and at tournaments.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
In the UK there are a lot of politics but also a lot of people who avoid them. Some instructors will not allow cross training and will label people a creonte.

I find it funny when Carlson's/Gracie Barra/Whoever claim their style is the best. It's all the same BJJ.

Carbazel

Freelance MMA Analyst
Aug 8, 2015
We have a lot of that in NJ. Changing schools, mostly due to a move or a job change. When I started RGDA was the big affiliation but that has diminished a bit since then. I think it depends on the school now. There are a lot of Renzo Gracie and Jucao schools popping up more.

Stymie

Local man
Oct 21, 2015
Is this fairly recent? A few years ago it seemed like a lot of the Columbia schools were on good terms and cross-training. Now I am suddenly hearing about all sorts of drama on Facebook and at tournaments.
It's been worse recently, but simmering for a while longer. Mostly centered around a handful of people and one gym in particular. Thankfully neither me nor the gym where I train are ever involved. We're a laid back bunch. I just grab the popcorn and enjoy the show.