BJJ Technique Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

Leigh taught both versions I got used to keeping it same side as I'd get pulled down if I didn't have my other hand free but I think that's more because I suck rather than technique. I used that switching to the side in the video last session and it worked beautifully. I might try switching hands now I'm less of a newb. I do like standing passing much more than on knees.
Very rarely do I ever pass kneeling, I prefer standing passes to minimize subs (although they can set up leg attacks easier this way).

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Very rarely do I ever pass kneeling, I prefer standing passes to minimize subs (although they can set up leg attacks easier this way).

I'm quite lucky leg locks are rare at this place but they do love a sweep which I need to get better at avoiding.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

View: https://youtu.be/9DzsIwp4KhY

Might try this one I'm starting to enjoy side control. I get too greedy and try and mount a lot
a small nit-pick with the way he hands the arm control from his north shin to his south shin.

The way he does it leave a window for his partner to escape the elbow to the south. It's better slide the north shin a little towards the wrist and bring the south shin down slightly inside of it. This keeps the south shin flat on the mat and closes any "elbow-south" escape route.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
a small nit-pick with the way he hands the arm control from his north shin to his south shin.

The way he does it leave a window for his partner to escape the elbow to the south. It's better slide the north shin a little towards the wrist and bring the south shin down slightly inside of it. This keeps the south shin flat on the mat and closes any "elbow-south" escape route.

Cheers. Yeah I tried to do it last night but forgot what my north shin was supposed to do after I trapped the arm. Spent a good amount of time in side control with different guys so was good surviving the thrashing and escape attempts, I'll try it again if the opportunity arises.

Got to work on my shooting, less Superman more Spider-Man apparently.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I look dead lol had no sleep and it was morning class. Buddy on left got his third stripe on his purple

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Great seminar with Professor max carvallho. Ronnie man joined in too. Rolled with some great guys today

M

member 603

Hell of a match, Ruban is a beast and Joao is one of world's best (especially when he's inverting and setting up his berimbolo). Nice omoplata, we always drill that (what we call) 3 Kings attack (armbar, triangle, omoplata transition attack from guard). Joao went triangle to omoplata and kept forward rolling to stay with Ruban's forward roll escape attempt.

Always great to see top guys have fun rolling.

M

member 603

Great seminar with Professor max carvallho. Ronnie man joined in too. Rolled with some great guys today
Max is the head affiliate of the Gracie Barra I taught at in Kiev Ukraine.... He was never there, because he traveled to whatever school he was based out of so I unfortunately never met him in person.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Max is the head affiliate of the Gracie Barra I taught at in Kiev Ukraine.... He was never there, because he traveled to whatever school he was based out of so I unfortunately never met him in person.
That's a shame a man. The guy is super cool and humble. He's pretty close to our academy and my professor so we will be seeing him a lot

He invited all of us to train at his summer camp in Hungary. Might consider it

M

member 603

That's a shame a man. The guy is super cool and humble. He's pretty close to our academy and my professor so we will be seeing him a lot

He invited all of us to train at his summer camp in Hungary. Might consider it
Do it, I'll be in Ukraine this month, I may have to drop in and train there if time permits.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015

View: https://youtu.be/TSHIAvYT_ok

I'm trying this next time I have guard on. I struggle to set the triangle up against guys who aren't brand new so a feint to set it up would be great. Been using the scissor sweep to triangle and that worked last time I did it but I want to keep mixing it up. I don't have long legs so any help is an advantage.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015

View: https://youtu.be/TSHIAvYT_ok

I'm trying this next time I have guard on. I struggle to set the triangle up against guys who aren't brand new so a feint to set it up would be great. Been using the scissor sweep to triangle and that worked last time I did it but I want to keep mixing it up. I don't have long legs so any help is an advantage.

I can't watch the video atm but I have a quite a few triangle set ups. I'll tell you the ones I do from guard

If you can can from guard grab the lapel and thread it around the guys back on to your other foot, scoot out so you will have more leverage and just lift your foot. He will already be falling to the side you have the lapel on, if he bases out which is what usually happens triangle him if he doesn't take the top positon.

Another one i use and this one sets up many options from me. From guard I break his posture by grabbing under the arm pit and the other hand on his wrist. Basically a arm drag but I'm not dragging him to the opposite side to take his back I'm dragging him towards my own chest and locking up his elbow to keep his posture down. From here I scoot out and have loads of options. Omaplata, straight arm lock, And of course the triangle.

Tbh I've caught triangles simply from holding the collar and sleeve and shooting my hips up but you said you don't have long legs so you will have to find other ways of breaking the posture properly.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
I can't watch the video atm but I have a quite a few triangle set ups. I'll tell you the ones I do from guard

If you can can from guard grab the lapel and thread it around the guys back on to your other foot, scoot out so you will have more leverage and just lift your foot. He will already be falling to the side you have the lapel on, if he bases out which is what usually happens triangle him if he doesn't take the top positon.

Another one i use and this one sets up many options from me. From guard I break his posture by grabbing under the arm pit and the other hand on his wrist. Basically a arm drag but I'm not dragging him to the opposite side to take his back I'm dragging him towards my own chest and locking up his elbow to keep his posture down. From here I scoot out and have loads of options. Omaplata, straight arm lock, And of course the triangle.

Tbh I've caught triangles simply from holding the collar and sleeve and shooting my hips up but you said you don't have long legs so you will have to find other ways of breaking the posture properly.

Awesome thanks SAJ I will do some experimenting

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
It's weird we did armbar from guard to triangle yesterday night. The guys I was drilling with said I had freaky legs for my height and whipped the triangle on super quick and stupidly tight so I'll keep messing about with it, the set up especially I always thought my legs were shit for triangles.

I find it hard to get techniques going doing king of the hill. I just like rolling 6 min rounds and flowing with the go. How do you all roll at the end of each session?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
It's weird we did armbar from guard to triangle yesterday night. The guys I was drilling with said I had freaky legs for my height and whipped the triangle on super quick and stupidly tight so I'll keep messing about with it, the set up especially I always thought my legs were shit for triangles.

I find it hard to get techniques going doing king of the hill. I just like rolling 6 min rounds and flowing with the go. How do you all roll at the end of each session?
We fairly frequently do sweep/pass/submit from whatever position we have been working on, but always end with some rounds of rolling. We usually do 5 minute rounds, but sometimes longer.