BJJ Technique Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

We fairly frequently do sweep/pass/submit from whatever position we have been working on, but always end with some rounds of rolling. We usually do 5 minute rounds, but sometimes longer.
I alternate 3.5 minute rounds with 30 sec rest with 6 minute rounds with 1 minute rest.... If you don't have a partner, belt tied (if in gi) by the time 30 seconds ends, you owe me 50 burpees

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
My favorite way to train is round robin with 3 guys. We do five minute rounds with 15 second break, stay 2 sit one. We only do that during off hours "extra" training, but it gives you 5 minutes with a tired guy to try stuff, followed by five minutes where you are tired and have a fresh guy trying stuff on you.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
@Rhino some feed back please as well as anyone who wants to chime in

Really gutted I didn't medal at this tournament :( It was a tough division. Felt like I won my second fight too. This is the first. I do have the second though as I record all my fights lol.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rkzsI_3AjZE
Good work in this match. You looked composed and calm, transitioned well, and took advantage of a lot of the mistakes your opponent made. If you stick with BJJ it looks like you have the potential to be very good.

I like the way your coach, or whomever was filming, coaches- calm and only pointing out opportunities to score as opposed to screaming out suggested moves from every position.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Good work in this match. You looked composed and calm, transitioned well, and took advantage of a lot of the mistakes your opponent made. If you stick with BJJ it looks like you have the potential to be very good.

I like the way your coach, or whomever was filming, coaches- calm and only pointing out opportunities to score as opposed to screaming out suggested moves from every position.
Thanks doc. My coach had to corner one of our students in an mma fight so he sent a purple belt to coach me.

Im surprised how quick I've dived into this. Rememeber me asking you guys what to expect in my first BJJ class lol now I'm trying to compete once a month. Feeling a bit down but I have to just keep on training and improving

M

member 603

@Rhino some feed back please as well as anyone who wants to chime in

Really gutted I didn't medal at this tournament :( It was a tough division. Felt like I won my second fight too. This is the first. I do have the second though as I record all my fights lol.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rkzsI_3AjZE
Most definitely my brotha.... I'm in Kiev Ukraine right now with my family, and rolling out to this Eurovision finals tonight so I'll give it a watch in the morning.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Most definitely my brotha.... I'm in Kiev Ukraine right now with my family, and rolling out to this Eurovision finals tonight so I'll give it a watch in the morning.

Enjoy your self brother have fun!

M

member 603

SAJ @SAJ I had a chance to watch.... You did great and looked pretty relaxed out there, that's always the biggest part of the struggle.

My advice is this.... Hip control.... Control your opponent's hips when they stand. Post a foot on the hip and push and turn them (since I see you play DLR a lot, it'll help set up your entries to that and other guards). It's also a good habit to not leave your feet dangling, you'll thank me for that later when foot locks become a factor.

Second thing I saw.... You sweep that guy and then stood up to let him up do you could pull guard again...... DRILL GUARD PASSING!!!! Stack, Smash, Pressure.... All of that. The more you practice, the less difficult it gets (I didn't say easy, just less difficult LOL).

Other than that, you're right were you should be.... Keep the pressure up and play your game, great work out there.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
SAJ @SAJ I had a chance to watch.... You did great and looked pretty relaxed out there, that's always the biggest part of the struggle.

My advice is this.... Hip control.... Control your opponent's hips when they stand. Post a foot on the hip and push and turn them (since I see you play DLR a lot, it'll help set up your entries to that and other guards). It's also a good habit to not leave your feet dangling, you'll thank me for that later when foot locks become a factor.

Second thing I saw.... You sweep that guy and then stood up to let him up do you could pull guard again...... DRILL GUARD PASSING!!!! Stack, Smash, Pressure.... All of that. The more you practice, the less difficult it gets (I didn't say easy, just less difficult LOL).

Other than that, you're right were you should be.... Keep the pressure up and play your game, great work out there.
And this is exactly why I asked for you to give me feed back :) in my second fight I was caught in a TIGHT footlock which I managed to get out of. He got the better of the scramble after the footlock which I believe he got the advantage for and ended up beating me by refs decision :(

I have a decent game for where I am and it's pretty hard for most white belts to deal with. Going to hit the next comps soon and in the mean time work on the wholes in my game. Thanks for feedback rhino

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Not as bad as faking a fist bump and then attacking! Lol.

I'm just in a hurry to get on my back is all
I had a guy do it to me last weekend at the European masters in the final. I always fist bump before the ref starts us, so there's no funny business. This guy wanted to bump again. Weird but whatever. But he used it to cheap attack and bumrush me!

He spent the rest of the match (well, some of it) with me driving my fist into his face and throat as payback.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Stop pulling guard. If you're more comfortable playing guard, make your opponent burn energy to put you in your favorite position. It's a win win. Like @Rhino said get your top game going. Your comfort with playing guard is making you lazy. There were a couple scramble opportunities that you could've scored with, but you let him get up too easily. Make them work for every inch. Make them suffer to move, breathe, everything...lol. Good match though. Keep it up.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Stop pulling guard. If you're more comfortable playing guard, make your opponent burn energy to put you in your favorite position. It's a win win. Like @Rhino said get your top game going. Your comfort with playing guard is making you lazy. There were a couple scramble opportunities that you could've scored with, but you let him get up too easily. Make them work for every inch. Make them suffer to move, breathe, everything...lol. Good match though. Keep it up.
I agree that he should work his top game but if he makes his opponent work to take him down, he gives up 2 points.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
SAJ @SAJ You should look at the matches and instructionals Jonathan Thomas from Alliance has online. He is tall and thin, and his DLR passing instructional is great- both from the standpoint of passing DLR and for you- maintaining and re-composing DLR. I got invited by the head instructor of the Alliance affiliate here to a mini-seminar Jonathan did tonight as he passed through on his way from training with Lucas Lepri in Charlotte to Alliance headquarters in Atlanta. He spent nearly three hours going over the knee-cut pass and variations through DLR, and it was really useful. His philosophy of "centering" the opponents hips as opposed to pushing the leg down to one side is quite different than how I learned the pass, but his explanation makes sense and his style of passing is a nice arrow to have in the quiver.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
SAJ @SAJ You should look at the matches and instructionals Jonathan Thomas from Alliance has online. He is tall and thin, and his DLR passing instructional is great- both from the standpoint of passing DLR and for you- maintaining and re-composing DLR. I got invited by the head instructor of the Alliance affiliate here to a mini-seminar Jonathan did tonight as he passed through on his way from training with Lucas Lepri in Charlotte to Alliance headquarters in Atlanta. He spent nearly three hours going over the knee-cut pass and variations through DLR, and it was really useful. His philosophy of "centering" the opponents hips as opposed to pushing the leg down to one side is quite different than how I learned the pass, but his explanation makes sense and his style of passing is a nice arrow to have in the quiver.

Nice. I will search him up tonight

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
So I searched your boy and watched a few of his videos. Simple yet effective passes for the dlr guard. I have open mat tomorrow so I'm going to drill a few with my friends if they are down for it before we roll
I couldn't find any videos of him on bottom de la riva though.

Since this thread has been dead for a few days I might as well ask another question. Does anyone here have an advanced leg lock game? Or any kind of leg lock game at all? And how far in to your bjj journey did you start implementing them? I'm pretty weak in this area and don't really do a lot of no gi tbh

Should I be worrying about leg locks atm or leave it until I'm at blue belt level?

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Varies widely by instructor. I've always loved them and taught myself through instructionals. Dean Lister especially.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
SAJ @SAJ I love leg locks. I tell guys to learn as much as possible, as early as possible. 10th Planet is all over leg locks right now, & their system is pretty well laid out. At $4.99 a month it's pretty cheap too. Early warnings:
1: You can get sucked into how easy it is to get submissions, & can start to overlook other parts of your game.
2: It's easy to get disqualified at IBJJF tournaments if you mess up foot placement. Ask your coach about reaping problems.
3: If people don't know what they're doing, it's easy to get hurt. So I only play footsies with higher belts, & only after asking if it's ok.
4: I have a catch & release policy. If I get the dominant position, and isolate the body part I'm aiming for, I let go. Unless my partner is much better than I am, or they're working on escaping a particular leglock, I'd rather let go than injure someone.
5: Have fun.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Josh Hayden has a good leg lock instructional as well, his 80/20 leg surfing system. I agree with Darqnezz, as long as you don't use leg locks as an excuse not to learn how to pass guard, I don't see any reason not to start learning them.

M

member 603

I started my martial arts career with Judo and Sambo, so by the time I started competing as a blue belt I had a fairly deep catalogue of leg attacks.

Doc said it best, learn everything but don't use it as an excuse to stunt your development. A lot of great no gi competitors are extremely proficient in leg locks, but I also have seen guys battle 10 minutes of leg locks and fight to a draw, when a simple pass could have won the match for them. (It's the same discussion theory we've had about just pulling/playing your guard and not working your takedowns/top game).

As for systems and players, definitely look at Josh Hayden's 80/20 leg surfing system... Also on YouTube look up all things Dean Lister, the DDS guys (Eddie Cummings, Gordon Ryan, Garry Tonon), Geo Martinez, Riley Bodycomb, Imanari, Buchecha (great kneebar setups), Ruban Alvarez, and Single leg X/Ashi Garami entries and attacks..... This will occupy your time pretty good.