BJJ Technique Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I was rolling today and hit a nice berimbolo on a purple belt. I ended up on his his back and locked in a body triangle which I use all the time when I take the back these days.

I'm aware of the footlock from here which is why I made sure my feet were above his hips so he couldnt cross his legs over my feet. Then all of a sudden he did a huge bridge into the side where the body triangle was locked, I tapped rapidly . He started laughing then asked if my foot was ok :/

So how do I avoid this? Can I still use the body triangle? I much prefer using this rather than putting the normal hooks in...I feel I have more control

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
So how do I avoid this?
I am assuming he bridged so that the side you had your legs locked on was down against the mat? You need to focus on keeping your triangle locked on the high side (away from the mat), and bail to either hooks or locking the triangle on the other side if he gets you turned locked side down. Hooking your straight leg behind their knee can help keep them tipped the way you want them and makes it much harder for them to foot lock you.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I am assuming he bridged so that the side you had your legs locked on was down against the mat? You need to focus on keeping your triangle locked on the high side (away from the mat), and bail to either hooks or locking the triangle on the other side if he gets you turned locked side down. Hooking your straight leg behind their knee can help keep them tipped the way you want them and makes it much harder for them to foot lock you.
Yes he bridged where i had the feet locked. Thanks for the pointers and the video Darqnezz @Darqnezz posted covers everything you just mentioned. I'll know what to do next time now

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
^^ as do I. I have quite a few rolling back attacks now. One I use a lot is when I'm in my opponents de la riva. Have had a lot of success with that one.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
I think the ninja roll might be a bit advanced for me but I'm going to try it thanks for sharing guys. I like to experiment. Sometimes it fails badly like I've lost so many mounts from trying subs but now I start to get triangle set ups and maintain pressure. I find halfguard a challenge both top and bottom so this will be fun to mess with.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Trained with Roger Gracie on Friday what a giant of a man. Learned some cool pressure subs from side control

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I think the ninja roll might be a bit advanced for me but I'm going to try it thanks for sharing guys. I like to experiment. Sometimes it fails badly like I've lost so many mounts from trying subs but now I start to get triangle set ups and maintain pressure. I find halfguard a challenge both top and bottom so this will be fun to mess with.
It's actually very easy to pull off

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
^he's a 6'6 100 kg purple belt. My open guard was giving him a hard time. We both were surprised lol.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
That's awesome well done SAJ.

Aside from Leigh's I train at one of Roger's Academies also well mainly now. It's a lot nearer to me he came for the grading and to teach.

I didn't get anything but i think another stripe is on the cards.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
That's awesome well done SAJ.

Aside from Leigh's I train at one of Roger's Academies also well mainly now. It's a lot nearer to me he came for the grading and to teach.

I didn't get anything but i think another stripe is on the cards.

Yeah seems like you are due one. Keep it bro. You will be a blue belt before you know it

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I'm a 2-stripe 'pansy-ass online' blue belt.

If I can hit it on the regular, anyone can. Just make sure you dive AWAY and toward the legs, and kick their legs away with authority. Once you feel it 'right', you'll get it right all the time

Last edited:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

this is another super-easy way to get to the back/truck. I chain this one with the hip-bump from guard and the guillotine. Get the mount, get the sub, or get the back...

e.g. He postures hard, I drive a hip-bump. He drives me down, I grab for the guillotine. He hand fights the guillotine, I 100% to the back. There's also an omoplata/kimura/triangle path in there he posts his arm to defend the hip-bump, but most guys above blue are well-disciplined against that reflex.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015

this is another super-easy way to get to the back/truck. I chain this one with the hip-bump from guard and the guillotine. Get the mount, get the sub, or get the back...

e.g. He postures hard, I drive a hip-bump. He drives me down, I grab for the guillotine. He hand fights the guillotine, I 100% to the back. There's also an omoplata/kimura/triangle path in there he posts his arm to defend the hip-bump, but most guys above blue are well-disciplined against that reflex.
I love the Rubber Guard system.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015

View: https://youtu.be/bNaMOgAaJo8

Sneaky sneaky armbar. I like this because guys often lock tight when I'm in mount and just buck like wild things which I'm fine riding out but it's tricky to secure the triangle or arm bar, I will try this one out.

Been really exploring guard work lately, rubberguard, sit up guard and also looking at Octopus if all else fails. I found out I'm flexible enough for invisible collar so itching to get that going.

I'm in that phase now where I lose because I'm trying things out and it probably doesn't help me when the coach watches but I find it exciting.

Dude caught me in a neck crank from side control on Friday a big guy it was savage. I need to find out what it was

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015

View: https://youtu.be/bNaMOgAaJo8

Sneaky sneaky armbar. I like this because guys often lock tight when I'm in mount and just buck like wild things which I'm fine riding out but it's tricky to secure the triangle or arm bar, I will try this one out.

Been really exploring guard work lately, rubberguard, sit up guard and also looking at Octopus if all else fails. I found out I'm flexible enough for invisible collar so itching to get that going.

I'm in that phase now where I lose because I'm trying things out and it probably doesn't help me when the coach watches but I find it exciting.

Dude caught me in a neck crank from side control on Friday a big guy it was savage. I need to find out what it was
What is octopus?

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Open mat session today. Rolled with my professor for a while today, he made me feel like it was my first day of bjj again lol