BJJ Technique Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Mainly been working lasso/spider combination which I really love. I have got a triangle and an armbar from it and have been taking backs the last few weeks by using two on one and a tight guard. If I can't get an RNC I use the collar from seatbelt and stick my fist in with a body triangle.

Rubberguard is still eluding me but I am getting better at breaking posture and been preoccupied with Lasso. Been sick this week so had to put a pin in it for now.

Going to start designing my own rash vests soon. I'm an illustrator so just need to work out the best way to do it. Will share my designs when I finally get there.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Had my first no gi session last Friday. I asked if I could do the intermediate class as I was starting to doubt myself after weeks of guys I beat getting stripes and I know it shouldn't matter. I won all my king of the hill matches before in fundamentals in the gi, had to do another warm up for no gi then later subbed a guy twice once with an RNC and then with an arm triangle, next two match ups I stayed on top and controlled them. Well last was a cheat as it was a kid and I was helping.

I really liked the no gi experience, not having to worry about collar chokes or annoying grips. When passing guard I did have to think for a second about where to put my hands but it came pretty quickly. Would definitely do it again if allowed to.

Just like to say on Wednesday I got bashed by everyone and the only thing I did well with was the bear hug pass which I thought I'd invented (of course I hadn't) lol I just had to look on YouTube and there it was.

I set it up from butterfly or shin to shin, going to keep working on it as I'm finding success with it against blues ...then I get swept and bashed

M

member 603

What up my bros and ladies? I've taken some time away from the forum, now I'm back to handle business..... How's training going? Lot's going on in the world of BJJ

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
What up my bros and ladies? I've taken some time away from the forum, now I'm back to handle business..... How's training going? Lot's going on in the world of BJJ

Welcome back :)

My training is going great atm. Trained every day this week and training tomorrow too hopefully.

I've fell in love with playing collar, sleeve guard/ hybrid spider guard. I feel real confident once I get these grips. My scissor sweep has also become my favourite sweep. Kinda neglected this and wanted to learn the more fancy sweeps when I first started but this is so simple and effective for me I just spam it all the time lol. Have so much success with the scissor sweep these days.

I'm MUCH better on top now too. My base has become a lot stronger. The way I can chain passes/pass attempts and transitions is much much smoother than it used to be. I'm still a guard puller but one that will actually get on top once I sweep lol

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Nice to see you back.
I am working hard trying to clean up some weaknesses and get into peak form for Masters Worlds which is now pretty much right around the corner.
Longer term, we just had a BJJ Black Belt who also has a judo black belt join our school, so I am going to start working on moving through the judo ranks officially as well. All the extra throws will probably greatly accelerate the wear and tear on my body, but hey- you only live once.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
I shit you not someone complained to me today a beginner did a Chinese burn wrist rub on them in sparring . I said he must be a Dad and did he do a scissor grip next and ask where the remote was for the TV?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Hardly done any training. Not really working on anything. Maybe a bit of open guard. Been busy with work and home projects. Got the UK Masters Championships next month, so need to pull my finger out.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Last night, was the second time I've been the demo dummy to show the technique. I feel like thats an honour somehow lol I got armbarred so many times.

Been working on armdrag chain to take the back,rubberguard ( had 3 omoplatas last night, didn't finish any of them so much work to do ),bear hug pass, standing pass, shin to shin, sit up guard ,arm triangle set ups from mount and as usual working out Pedro Sauer mount.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015

View: https://youtu.be/JQEkWSz8reg

This seems like a good drill, I'd like to try this sometime (from the BJJ guys perspective, I suck at boxing)
We do stuff like that pretty often, and I highly recommend it. Besides being fun, it is a good experience for grapplers to help them realize that taking someone down who is punching at you as a different animal than trying to take down someone who is only grappling. It works best if you have a decent boxer who has some experience with take down defense. I prefer to have the striker wear MMA gloves (if you trust their control) as 10 or 16 oz boxing gloves are too easy to block with a shell defense that would not be very effective against bare knuckles.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Anyone here vape? (not weed) Been vaping a lot recently. It's fun but I'm worried it might affect my cardio.

Anyone vape or know people that vape but still have sick cardio? Lol.

If It affects my cardio i will defintley have to stop though

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Anyone here vape? (not weed) Been vaping a lot recently. It's fun but I'm worried it might affect my cardio.

Anyone vape or know people that vape but still have sick cardio? Lol.

If It affects my cardio i will defintley have to stop though
I don't vape, but here is my $0.02 from a medical perspective:
If you vape with juice that contains nicotine, it will likely adversely affect your cardio due to the effects of nicotine. Vaping juice without nicotine likely has no effect. There are no scientific studies concerning this that I am aware of, so this is all theory and/or user reports (and therefore literally broscience).

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Yeah I'm hearing mixed opinions on this. I will likely jusy stop anyway don't want to risk it

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Only trained once this week because I've been on holiday. Can't wait to get back and start training again.

Hardly any BJJ over here In Turkey. Managed to find a very nice looking gym about an hour from where I was staying. The instructor was a good purple belt, students were tough but they don't have any competitions here at all and the level of teaching is obviously not that high compared to US,UK

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Any tips for playing x guard? I can't seem to get anything going with this, anyone got a good instructional I can watch? I feel as if this is a guard better suited for smaller guys with smaller legs.

Last edited:
M

member 603

Parabéns SAJ @SAJ on your stripe. As for X guard techniques, Marcelo has his MGA online thing you can check out. I love playing X in both gi and no gi, I use that and the single leg X system a lot

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Parabéns SAJ @SAJ on your stripe. As for X guard techniques, Marcelo has his MGA online thing you can check out. I love playing X in both gi and no gi, I use that and the single leg X system a lot

I'ma look it up tomorrow. What do you think of the de la x guard? I seen a LOT of this at the masters and have been messing about with it myself recently. Very effective and fun guard to use imo

M

member 603

I'ma look it up tomorrow. What do you think of the de la x guard? I seen a LOT of this at the masters and have been messing about with it myself recently. Very effective and fun guard to use imo
Personally I try not to get fixated on moves or positions.... Is there merit in it? Absolutely, but if I can win matches without having to do anything other than the basics, it's not "necessary". That said, I always check out new elements of BJJ in order to prepare for the times I'll see it.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Had three weeks off due to illlness I was anxious going back. I did well in King of the hill the instructor was watching I could hear him complimenting me. Asked me how many stripes I had. At the end of the session I was awarded 2 I now have 3. I felt emotional I know that's silly but it's been a long road and at one point I though I might be too sick to come back. I got two inverted triangles and an RNC in no gi class after. Good sesh. well done SAJ!