BJJ Technique Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Going to start designing my own rash vests soon. I'm an illustrator so just need to work out the best way to do it. Will share my designs when I finally get there.
Any progress on this? Be interested to see some ideas.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Could I get some basic tips on set ups, combos or traps please? Looking for 3-4 steps that'll get me in position to score points or set up a sub. Right now my go to when on top in their guard is to secure one arm and trap it behind their back (like under their waist), break guard to side mount and work for head triangle or keylock. I find if I don't get their arm trapped I put myself in position for a head triangle too often unless I'm looking to just make space.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Could I get some basic tips on set ups, combos or traps please? Looking for 3-4 steps that'll get me in position to score points or set up a sub. Right now my go to when on top in their guard is to secure one arm and trap it behind their back (like under their waist), break guard to side mount and work for head triangle or keylock. I find if I don't get their arm trapped I put myself in position for a head triangle too often unless I'm looking to just make space.
how's your standing pass?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
how's your standing pass?
I know the motions and can get it on guys my level but it could use lots of improvement. I watched some videos today before relying here and some guys have some cool ways of doing it I'd like to try.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I know the motions and can get it on guys my level but it could use lots of improvement. I watched some videos today before relying here and some guys have some cool ways of doing it I'd like to try.
Do you know how to knee slice?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
so my favorite standing pass combo is switch from a standing knee slide to a diving toe hold.

hard to explain in words, super easy to show...but I'll try.

let's say I'm starting a knee slide to my left, he brings his right foot up to the inside of my left elbow. I take a tiny step with my right leg to put my right foot juuuuuust outside his left glute. Critical Detail: DO NOT TOUCH HIS RIGHT FOOT! yet.

My right arm loops over his left leg, which is usually fighting with my left arm. Dive my right shoulder to the mat, hooking the back of his left knee with my right leg. I make my figure-four grip AND THEN grab his foot. Use my grip to pull my hips to his, put his big toe in his backside, finish.

does that make sense?

It's really smooth, and even if it doesn't land, it puts us in a scramble position where i'm looking at his back as I come up.
Next time I start the knee slide (usually to the other side) his foot isn't as committed to stopping my upper body.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
so my favorite standing pass combo is switch from a standing knee slide to a diving toe hold.

hard to explain in words, super easy to show...but I'll try.

let's say I'm starting a knee slide to my left, he brings his right foot up to the inside of my left elbow. I take a tiny step with my right leg to put my right foot juuuuuust outside his left glute. Critical Detail: DO NOT TOUCH HIS RIGHT FOOT! yet.

My right arm loops over his left leg, which is usually fighting with my left arm. Dive my right shoulder to the mat, hooking the back of his left knee with my right leg. I make my figure-four grip AND THEN grab his foot. Use my grip to pull my hips to his, put his big toe in his backside, finish.

does that make sense?

It's really smooth, and even if it doesn't land, it puts us in a scramble position where i'm looking at his back as I come up.
Next time I start the knee slide (usually to the other side) his foot isn't as committed to stopping my upper body.
I think I got that. Is it similar to this?

Brigsy

Jan 21, 2015
Back on the mats in the last few weeks since February after back disk trouble. Deep waters man. The school has grown loads and everyone is getting beastly.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I think I got that. Is it similar to this?
yep - that's how I open the guard, but when guys feel the their guard is going to open, they open it and make space.

Here's a diving toe hold.

except (I personally)

A) never grab the foot until I complete the roll. I make my figure-four grip as I roll, that's what keeps your partner from getting away. Grabbing the foot is for finishing, not for control. Grabbing the foot lets your partner know that you're going to attack it. I might grab a pant leg or something to indicate I'm passing, but most guys have a reflex to pull their foot back as soon as you touch it. Which will help with the the knee slide that Rolles is showing. Your partner can't simultaneously extend their leg to block your pass and retract their leg to defend the toe hold.

B) I figure-four my legs as soon as I come over. I use that 'leg grip' to pull my hips to theirs while 'crunching'. If their leg is even a little bent, I can overcome their attempt to straighten the leg and shrimp away.

EDIT
C) I dive over the hip, not over the knee

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
yep - that's how I open the guard, but when guys feel the their guard is going to open, they open it and make space.

Here's a diving toe hold.

except (I personally)

A) never grab the foot until I complete the roll. I make my figure-four grip as I roll, that's what keeps your partner from getting away. Grabbing the foot is for finishing, not for control. Grabbing the foot lets your partner know that you're going to attack it. I might grab a pant leg or something to indicate I'm passing, but most guys have a reflex to pull their foot back as soon as you touch it. Which will help with the the knee slide that Rolles is showing. Your partner can't simultaneously extend their leg to block your pass and retract their leg to defend the toe hold.

B) I figure-four my legs as soon as I come over. I use that 'leg grip' to pull my hips to theirs while 'crunching'. If their leg is even a little bent, I can overcome their attempt to straighten the leg and shrimp away.
That's great man, posts like this is what I'm looking to get and try out. Appreciate it and if I can pull this off ok I'll let you know. I'll have to get a feel for the club and see how they deal with leg locks while rolling. I've heard of some clubs that don't like to have guys doing them while rolling unless your a little higher ranked.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
That's great man, posts like this is what I'm looking to get and try out. Appreciate it and if I can pull this off ok I'll let you know. I'll have to get a feel for the club and see how they deal with leg locks while rolling. I've heard of some clubs that don't like to have guys doing them while rolling unless your a little higher ranked.
you're probably going to want to drill it a lot before you try it rolling. If you're landing with a 'thud' on the dive, you need to drill it more.
when it's right, it's super smooth. Even when you're drilling it, have your partner 'get their foot out' as soon as you touch it. When you can finish the roll without them pulling their foot out, you'll be a killer with it.

;)

M

member 603

Standing guard pass into a toe hold, the good ole starfish as it's called.... One of my all time favorite moves (I'll catch it even in top half guard). Man Jacare showed us some awesome passes, I wish I could show you guys.... In a month or so I will video it (after drilling them a bunch)

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Still waiting for the other matches to come off the main camera but my teamate recorded my opening one with his phone and sent it me

You guys know I always like to post my matches here so I thought I'll show you this while I wait for the others

Some good open guard for me here. At the end my coach is calling for me to go closed guard and be safe but I was 9 points up and hit a helicopter sweep on him. My man went flying lol

View: https://vid.me/JQ5hH

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Any progress on this? Be interested to see some ideas.

Just saw this, not yet I have been doing official Star Wars the last Jedi and UFC art recently so my plate was full but as soon as I get a chance I will post some samples. Had some interest from my local club and another Gracie club.

Brigsy

Jan 21, 2015
Back on the mats in the last few weeks since February after back disk trouble. Deep waters man. The school has grown loads and everyone is getting beastly.
Update:

Doing some gi privates I was holding up ok. Been back into main class nogi and my shoulder and neck are playing up again already. Maybe GI is less stress on the neck? As nogi head control is more used? What do you guys think? Gi is harder on hands but easier on the neck?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Update:

Doing some gi privates I was holding up ok. Been back into main class nogi and my shoulder and neck are playing up again already. Maybe GI is less stress on the neck? As nogi head control is more used? What do you guys think? Gi is harder on hands but easier on the neck?
That has been my experience. Most of the guys I do no-gi with wrestle, so it is constant collar ties.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Wrestlers train bridging with their heads not just to escape from the bottom. It also gives them necks like bulls so they can handle all of the snapping, crossfacing, etc. they get over the course of a season. Hard-core MT guys are similar.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I left my old team this week. Feeling a bit guilty now though

The new gym is filled with a lot more young competitors and they are game af. My game has got better in only a few days, especially no gi, they allow heel hooks, reaping leg locks, and they start from standing in both gi and no gi which never happened at my old gym.

Basically I left my old team for a team that I think is better for me personally, yet I can't help but feel like I've done something wrong. Anyone else experienced something similar before?

M

member 603

I left my old team this week. Feeling a bit guilty now though

The new gym is filled with a lot more young competitors and they are game af. My game has got better in only a few days, especially no gi, they allow heel hooks, reaping leg locks, and they start from standing in both gi and no gi which never happened at my old gym.

Basically I left my old team for a team that I think is better for me personally, yet I can't help but feel like I've done something wrong. Anyone else experienced something similar before?
Don't feel guilty, Jiu Jitsu is a personal journey that we all decided to take.... That said, you have to find your path, the one that fulfills all your needs... Not your coach, not a team.... Your needs.

Some coaches and teams act like you have betrayed them, but if you are a gi fanatic, and you're at a 10 P school, or a strict MMA school, well than you have to find what suits you best.

In my career I've trained at a few gyms before I found my team that I've been with since 2006.... The right environment, energy, connection was important for me, you'll see it will be the same for you.