BJJ Technique Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Leigh @Leigh, is the open guard still giving your nightmares?:D

Got this video sent to me, some more of my open guard, tried hit a berimbolo in this one from deep de la riva, think I got advantage for it

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WpRTqxDfLlw
Nice work SAJ @SAJ! It looks like your open guard would be annoying to deal with, you recomposed very nicely whenever you felt him starting to threaten. Be careful about getting into the habit of being comfortable with the opponent overbooking your leg with your toes in his armpit, once you get to tournaments where leg attacks are legal you won’t want to have that habit- as this guy started to show when he went for some leg attacks once he realized he could not pass your guard.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Nice work SAJ @SAJ! It looks like your open guard would be annoying to deal with, you recomposed very nicely whenever you felt him starting to threaten. Be careful about getting into the habit of being comfortable with the opponent overbooking your leg with your toes in his armpit, once you get to tournaments where leg attacks are legal you won’t want to have that habit- as this guy started to show when he went for some leg attacks once he realized he could not pass your guard.
I know I need to be more careful with my feet. If I place my foot on the bicep now I make sure I'm controlling the same side sleeve and pushing/pulling both ways so there's tension and he can't just overhook my foot

Under this ruleset though I don't mind guys dropping back for foot locks, I'll just come up and collect my two points :D

M

member 603

I know I need to be more careful with my feet. If I place my foot on the bicep now I make sure I'm controlling the same side sleeve and pushing/pulling both ways so there's tension and he can't just overhook my foot

Under this ruleset though I don't mind guys dropping back for foot locks, I'll just come up and collect my two points :D
You have to come up right away, even a little pause will count as nothing.... And FYI, I am hearing that the IBJJF is looking to adjust that rule soon, so be careful.

Jan 21, 2015
Hey all 1st time posting in this sub-forum

Liking the open-guard talk here, I'm still struggling with it

I've been a blue for a little less than a year, turning 42 next week, am NOT on TRT, lol and train about twice a week. Not interested in competing just enjoying the game and staying in shape, learning at my own pace

I'd like to get more comfortable with open guard, sometimes I get a feel for it like I have control and other times my guard just gets passed so easy lol makes me want to close it

M

member 603

I've been a blue for a little less than a year, turning 42 next week, am NOT on TRT, lol and train about twice a week. Not interested in competing just enjoying the game and staying in shape, learning at my own pace

I'd like to get more comfortable with open guard, sometimes I get a feel for it like I have control and other times my guard just gets passed so easy lol makes me want to close it
Welcome to the sub forum.... Because we submit people here (aaaaaah) LOL. My advice is the same I tell my academy students... The more you attempt anything, the better you'll get. At first you will get your guard passed like you have no legs, and it will more likely than not be that way for a while.... But commit to continuing to work on it, and I promise you start getting the nuances of it. Just remember, control your opponent's hips, don't let your feet dangle, and keep your hands busy (grab gi, collar, neck, wrists)

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015

Try not to let your opponent control your legs/pants and do not let him anywhere near your hips.

Get your grips first and attack from whatever guard you are most comfortable with

Practice your inverting and granby rolls for guard retention too, this will make you more comfortable in your open guard

Jan 21, 2015
Thanks guys ^^ !

Its weird sometimes I feel a lot of control, other days there's nothing there. I am getting to like the feeling of pulling on something while pushing opposite, spider guard seems to work well for me.

My club is big on De la Riva (sp?) hooks/guard but I can never seem to feel strong with it, I must be doing something wrong. When higher belts at my club do it to me its really hard to deal with they can move me all around but when I try to use it they just pass, lol

M

member 603

Thanks guys ^^ !

Its weird sometimes I feel a lot of control, other days there's nothing there. I am getting to like the feeling of pulling on something while pushing opposite, spider guard seems to work well for me.

My club is big on De la Riva (sp?) hooks/guard but I can never seem to feel strong with it, I must be doing something wrong. When higher belts at my club do it to me its really hard to deal with they can move me all around but when I try to use it they just pass, lol
Cue ALL the BJJ training quotes LOL... Seriously, some days you're the hammer, some days you're the nail.... BJJ is a marathon, not a sprint..... Win or learn.... Ok that's all I can handle right now, in all seriousness, it takes drilling and repetition to grasp how it all works. Some people get it sooner than others, however since it's a personal journey, you're only truly training against yourself. I look at the fact that BJ Penn received his black belt in 4 years, it took me 15.... But I'm no less a black belt, he has different gifts that I didn't possess. I don't get mad at myself because I didn't match his accomplishments, I celebrate my achievements.

I'm telling you, there will be days you want to quit.... Hell, even rage quit... But if you stick with it and take it day by day, I assure you, it will be one of the greatest things you've done for yourself.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
10 months into jiu jitsu and my hands look like this. What will they look 5 years from now:eek:

I've started to tape my fingers but some times I'm running late to class and don't have the time

M

member 603

10 months into jiu jitsu and my hands look like this. What will they look 5 years from now:eek:

I've started to tape my fingers but some times I'm running late to class and don't have the time

Start playing bass..... That has given me near invincible fingers LOL

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Are you up on your side when establishing DLR or trying to play it flat on your back?

M

member 603

Masato Toys @Masato Toys here's the thing about guard play (open and closed), you have to create angles of attacks (subs, sweeps, even stand up recovery in MMA/self defense situations). Laying flat on your back eliminates angles, as well as gives your opponent the opportunity to stack you up. If you can break your opponent's posture in your guard (via neck control, sleeve and/or collar grip) it makes it harder for him to stand or posture up (the more his head is down, the more likely your opportunities to catch him increase).

I mentioned before to keep your hands busy, grab their collar/sleeve/neck/ankle/combination of them to bug them, and make them focus on other things then just passing. Hip control is super important, your feet on their hips (with toes pointed out)/thighs/knee pushing them, as you are pulling their sleeves/collar/neck, really makes your guy off balanced and susceptible to submission and sweep attacks (remember, they want their hips forward, and their head up to pass).

Really important tip, take what your opponent gives (truly in all things Jiu Jitsu related). Don't try to force moves, but also, know when to bail on moves (too many times I've seen guys trying to complete bad sub and sweep attempts, even though their opponent is defending the attempt perfectly, rather than going back to their best possible position.

There are tons of nuances for guard play, but that was the jist of the basics I can give here. There are a lot of great tutorials and supplemental videos out there for basic guard attacks for all open guard styles, check them out and play around with some.

Jan 21, 2015
just got back from an impromptu Sunday night session. Did MUCH better, I don't know what happened but things were really clicking.

Had much better success plaing guard tonight by pulling them closer in while finding something to push on, being more on my side and playing angles like you said. Really I think it was the best guard work I've played yet. And when I got the sweep I would play the same way, pulling in real tight, always a push and pull and was sliding into all kinds of good positions without too much effort

Really great night

The next one is bound to suck again though, right? lol

Thanks for the insights!!

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

stop grip fighting.
waste of time.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
stop grip fighting.
waste of time.
Tell me more about this please. I'm really trying to get the right mindset and break the habit of just reacting and resisting to whatever my partner is doing but it's tricky.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Tell me more about this please. I'm really trying to get the right mindset and break the habit of just reacting and resisting to whatever my partner is doing but it's tricky.
I learned this from Ryron, and I was skeptical at first. But it's legit. If you doubt it, ask yourself if you've ever seen a picture of Helio with tape on his fingers. :)

I'll use the standard inside collar grip from guard as the example. From the bottom, put your hand in your opponent's lapel, but don't grip, don't even worry about getting it super deep. He's going to grab your wrist with both hands and blow your hand off his collar.
Put your hand back in the collar. Boom. same thing happens. Repeat. Repeat. Maybe switch hands to really work the pattern.
What's interesting is that after 4 or 5 of these, they just let your hand stay in their collar. It doesn't threaten them. But you can adjust and GRIP any time you want.
Sweeps, chokes, off-balancing, moving center of mass...everything gets easy because you don't GRIP until everything else is in place.

Rener taught me how to avoid your opponent getting grips. Pretend they have grease on their hands, and you lose if they get any part of your gi dirty. Play that way for a couple weeks. In fact, just play the 'dirty hands' game with your partners for a warm-up drill. Don't break grips, defend grips.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I learned this from Ryron, and I was skeptical at first. But it's legit. If you doubt it, ask yourself if you've ever seen a picture of Helio with tape on his fingers. :)

I'll use the standard inside collar grip from guard as the example. From the bottom, put your hand in your opponent's lapel, but don't grip, don't even worry about getting it super deep. He's going to grab your wrist with both hands and blow your hand off his collar.
Put your hand back in the collar. Boom. same thing happens. Repeat. Repeat. Maybe switch hands to really work the pattern.
What's interesting is that after 4 or 5 of these, they just let your hand stay in their collar. It doesn't threaten them. But you can adjust and GRIP any time you want.
Sweeps, chokes, off-balancing, moving center of mass...everything gets easy because you don't GRIP until everything else is in place.

Rener taught me how to avoid your opponent getting grips. Pretend they have grease on their hands, and you lose if they get any part of your gi dirty. Play that way for a couple weeks. In fact, just play the 'dirty hands' game with your partners for a warm-up drill. Don't break grips, defend grips.
This is perfect, thanks for taking the time. It's the mental stuff that I'm finding really intriguing right now when we roll. I know the technique will come with time on the mats but I love hearing stuff like this that'll help me get an edge. If you have any other tips like this please post when you can.

I'm gonna try both of these and see how it goes.

Jan 21, 2015

great, great post thanks!!

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015

Still on the mats every day, learning and improving, been training for a year now, think ill be getting my blue belt soon now hopefully

M

member 603

Happy New Year's everyone, proud of everyone in this forum for their dedication in BJJ and Submission Grappling. You all make the grappling community better here, and in this forum. Be safe tonight, and have a prosperous 2018. I truly hope to get to train with some of you this year... Oss

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Got my fourth stripe today :)

I've been really working on my passing lately

Recently I've been studying Leandro Lo via BJJ scout and fallen in love with his passing style. its working for me in the gym.

M

member 603

Got my fourth stripe today :)

I've been really working on my passing lately

Recently I've been studying Leandro Lo via BJJ scout and fallen in love with his passing style. its working for me in the gym.
That is awesome, passing is one of the hardest parts of the game, to this day it's what I struggle with the most in matches, drill drill drill it, and right when you start feeling really comfortable with it.... Keenan will come up with something new everyone will do LOL.

Truth is, the basic concepts have always worked... Keep good posture and base, pass over or under your opponents legs, break their grips and clear your hips..... everything else you'll figure as you go