BJJ Technique Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 603

Techniques Techni
@Rhino

I'm just sitting at work bored so I might as well ask you this while you're online.

Does running do anything for mat cardio? I've asked few people and I've gotten different answers. Some say no. Others say yeah. Those in between say do sprints rather than run.

I understand being on the mat is the best way to improve cardio but will running give me any sort of advantage
Yeah I was just finishing a music project, so TMMAC is my default time waster LOL....... Does it improve your Mat Cardio? No, only grappling rounds help that.... Does it improve your cardio? Hell yes...... Does having good cardio when you grapple help, YUP..... So in a weird contradictory way, it does help. Long and short, if you just try to run to get a better grappling cardio it won't help, but having good cardio absolutely does help your training... So go for it (it doesn't hurt)

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
To piggyback off of what @Rhino said above, I think running will help your grappling (eventually). I run- and I HATE running. However, the fighters I know with the best cardio all do some type of low intensity, steady, longer duration cardio work like running, biking or swimming (some all three) in addition to their high intensity interval training. If I had to choose at a particular time between grappling and running, I will grapple every time; but I try to find time to run two or three times a week, usually right after I lift. I jump on the treadmill and blare music in my headphones. I use the treadmill because 1- it makes me keep the pace I want and 2- I won't wear headphones out and about (I like to be aware of my surroundings), and I can't imagine running without music to keep me occupied.

Posting Machine
May 14, 2016
To piggyback off of what @Rhino said above, I think running will help your grappling (eventually). I run- and I HATE running. However, the fighters I know with the best cardio all do some type of low intensity, steady, longer duration cardio work like running, biking or swimming (some all three) in addition to their high intensity interval training. If I had to choose at a particular time between grappling and running, I will grapple every time; but I try to find time to run two or three times a week, usually right after I lift. I jump on the treadmill and blare music in my headphones. I use the treadmill because 1- it makes me keep the pace I want and 2- I won't wear headphones out and about (I like to be aware of my surroundings), and I can't imagine running without music to keep me occupied.
one headphone in is a decent mix, is you are skeptical of cars crashing or people coming up and mugging ya

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I only run outdoors. Sometimes I like it someitmes I don't but I'm definitely going to back on it.

I know a lot of boxers do road work. They run for miles. Not very common in mma as far are I know

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
There are a few factors for gassing in BJJ. They include:

1) Poor cardio
2) Poor muscle endurance
3) Poor pacing/using too much strength (lack of efficiency)
4) Panicking

Number 1 is solved by doing cardio (running, biking, whatever gets your HR in the right zone).
2, 3 and 4 are addressed by rolling, with technical/strategical learning also playing a factor.

In summary, do some supplemental distance work to build endurance and play your sport a lot to make it sport specific.

M

member 603

I taught a kneetap takedown (from the pummel clinch position), landing in knee on belly position, and finishing with a hurdler's stretch arm bar (one leg over)... And a shoulder lock counter if your opponent uses the hitchhiker defense to get out of the arm bar.

I'm teaching a few series of moves that flow one to the next, however I tell our guys that there aren't set moves because every position has multiple options... You'd be surprised how many people think that it's absolute the one move people teach

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
^ Similarly, I have been surprised at how many people think that there is only one correct "philosophy" regarding a certain position or submission. They see someone triangle a single leg from back position and say "that's wrong- you should always have 2 hooks in from back position", or see a different method for finishing a submission and dismiss it immediately because it violates a "rule" they think exists regarding the submission. This seems to be a common plague amongst blue belts.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
The 2 hook thing must come from the IBJJF point system. People who think that you need both to control or submit are badly misinformed. Good luck escaping against a good wrestler with "only" one hook in. Hell, Marcelo routinely RNCs people with no hooks in.

My kids' school is almost 100% IBJJF rule focused, which can be really annoying at times.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I think it is a combination of the IBJJF, and people teaching 2 hooks because it is good control and for a novice grappler it is easier to achieve and maintain than the wrestling/no-gi style single hook. It just amazes me that a relatively new grappler would think that a successful competitive black belt got that way with a serious flaw in a fundamental position.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
In a mma situation I always loved finishing my take downs by always slamming my opponent into side control... totally negating their guard.. on a typical blast double that can get you into trouble if you leave your head on the outside..especially if the guy is fresh...I simply turn them on the way down and upon landing cutting the knee through to mount...a common mistake ppl make, is they hop to mount leaving toon much space for guard to be recovered...

heavy head pressure goes a long way...cutting the knee through with no space is key..I'm a huge fan of avoiding the guard and capitalizing on getting high mountain not resting on my opponents hips cuz they can buck and cause scrambles..by applying heavy pressure on the chest with my knees under the armpits it gives me a good strong base to open up with elbows and punches..plus when they buck you are high on the chest where it doesn't matter they look like They are humping the air lol...

very affective and seamless series if you get good at bringing your hips to the party to get your opponent lifted and turned properly in mid air...the slam is a bonus to help disorient your foe before taking mount..

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
In a mma situation I always loved finishing my take downs by always slamming my opponent into side control... totally negating their guard.. on a typical blast double that can get you into trouble if you leave your head on the outside..especially if the guy is fresh...I simply turn them on the way down and upon landing cutting the knee through to mount...a common mistake ppl make, is they hop to mount leaving toon much space for guard to be recovered...

heavy head pressure goes a long way...cutting the knee through with no space is key..I'm a huge fan of avoiding the guard and capitalizing on getting high mountain not resting on my opponents hips cuz they can buck and cause scrambles..by applying heavy pressure on the chest with my knees under the armpits it gives me a good strong base to open up with elbows and punches..plus when they buck you are high on the chest where it doesn't matter they look like They are humping the air lol...

very affective and seamless series if you get good at bringing your hips to the party to get your opponent lifted and turned properly in mid air...the slam is a bonus to help disorient your foe before taking mount..
I've seen you pick guys up and launch them on your highlight video lol beast

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Can't agree with this enough, repetition is the key to success, drilling positions and flowing drills are going to make you faster and more fluid..... SAJ @Vicious Hellbows drill drill drill
I was just saying this to my kids the other day while doing some positions before thier BJJ class. As I've said they're young and there's those kids in the class that'll whine "but we did double legs TDs yesterdaaaaaaaaaaaaay......" God I hate hearing that. I told my kids to never be that person who says those things and so far they've obliged.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Butterfly guard sweeps into anaconda guard and reverse americana from different positions

M

member 603

Butterfly guard sweeps into anaconda guard and reverse americana from different positions
Curious, if you've already swept them, why are you going from butterfly to anaconda? Why not just take top position?

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Curious, if you've already swept them, why are you going from butterfly to anaconda? Why not just take top position?

Ahh I should have explained better.Rhino. We did it step by step. First straight sweep. Second drill was IF the person based out. THEN go for the anaconda

M

member 603

Ahh I should have explained better.Rhino. We did it step by step. First straight sweep. Second drill was IF the person based out. THEN go for the anaconda
Gotcha, I was wondering there LOL

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Can you still roll with a bruised finger? After sparring I noticed my middle finger was swollen and bruised. It hurts a little but I don't want to miss training in the morning. Shall I just tape it and roll?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Can you still roll with a bruised finger? After sparring I noticed my middle finger was swollen and bruised. It hurts a little but I don't want to miss training in the morning. Shall I just tape it and roll?
Buddy tape it to the finger or 2 fingers next to it, and train on.

M

member 603

Buddy tape it to the finger or 2 fingers next to it, and train on.
So sayeth the doctor, so doeth..... Seriously I wrapped a dislocated thumb and rolled with a wrapped hand for a month once.... Sucked, but embrace the pain

M

member 603

I have a question for everyone who has trained for awhile...... Do you ever laugh at the new names for old techniques or guards that have become the trend du jour? Like when they rebrand a move or a position.

I had a great laugh at a guy today who insisted that "Z" guard has always been called that.... I remember when it was called the half guard frame..... But apparently that didn't generate YouTube hits so they renamed it LOL

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I have a question for everyone who has trained for awhile...... Do you ever laugh at the new names for old techniques or guards that have become the trend du jour? Like when they rebrand a move or a position.

I had a great laugh at a guy today who insisted that "Z" guard has always been called that.... I remember when it was called the half guard frame..... But apparently that didn't generate YouTube hits so they renamed it LOL
I have seen a number of people teach the Brabo choke (sometimes with a trivial variation) and call it something different.