BJJ Technique Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Well done, you look good for a guy who hasn't been training long :) You're clearly dedicated and a fast learner.
Any tips and feedback is appreciated
I don't really want to criticise, cos you're still new and doing really well. If I had to say something, I'd say I'm not a fan of pulling guard and you could work your control in the dominant positions a little. Slick triangle set up :)

Last edited:

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Well done, you look good for a guy who hasn't been training Kong :) You're clearly dedicated and a fast learner.

I don't really want to criticise, cos you're still new. If I had to say something, I'd say I'm not a fan of pulling guard and you could work your control in the dominant positions a little. Slick triangle set up :)
Thanks man leigh means a lot

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Nice work! I agree with Leigh @Leigh. I am not a fan of guard pulling in general, but in particular I prefer white belts focus on taking their opponent down. Some guys start pulling guard early in their training and never really work on their takedowns.

You looked very composed for a fairly new student. Keep it up!

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks guys!

My coach has already told me that I can't just pull guard and play dlr all the time.

Will start wrestling soon and lifting weights

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
No, what's their name?
Norbet nowak he's a black belt under Braulio.

I was telling him about you when you were standing next to me. He was aware of who you were.

Another guy at my gym said he's knows of you through mark weir but you won't probably won't know him.

You're pretty well known in the mma/bjj world.

M

member 603

That's awesome, great work..... You looked composed out there and that is important. My coach always tells me to be cautiously aggressive. As the others mentioned, even though 95% of practitioners do it, don't pull guard always (I always tell my kids and adults if I know that a guy is a guard puller, we usually plan for it and smash to at the least a flattened half guard to gain an advantage right away).

As a white belt, there are always a ton of things experienced guys can tell you, but unless it's an egregious error, you'll learn those things in time in your journey.... Great work out there, keep it up

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
That's awesome, great work..... You looked composed out there and that is important. My coach always tells me to be cautiously aggressive. As the others mentioned, even though 95% of practitioners do it, don't pull guard always (I always tell my kids and adults if I know that a guy is a guard puller, we usually plan for it and smash to at the least a flattened half guard to gain an advantage right away).

As a white belt, there are always a ton of things experienced guys can tell you, but unless it's an egregious error, you'll learn those things in time in your journey.... Great work out there, keep it up
Did you spot anything that looked wrong? For starters that guard pull was awful now that I watch it again.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
I'm not as seasoned as the other guys here, but I tell new guys to play the game they like. Even though you'll get smashed a biaround pulling guard, you need to learn how to fight off your back anyway. Do what you enjoy. If it keeps you on the mats, eventually you'll fill the holes in your game.
Great job, and keep it up.
Also, when I play DelaHeev, I use the free Leg to push, or hook on my opponents far thigh or knee to off balance them. Makes sweeps easier.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I'm not as seasoned as the other guys here, but I tell new guys to play the game they like. Even though you'll get smashed a biaround pulling guard, you need to learn how to fight off your back anyway. Do what you enjoy. If it keeps you on the mats, eventually you'll fill the holes in your game.
Great job, and keep it up.
Also, when I play DelaHeev, I use the free Leg to push, or hook on my opponents far thigh or knee to off balance them. Makes sweeps easier.
Nah bro you a blue belt so you've been doing this for quite a bit. There's white belts that try give advice/teach lol and they have no right doing so.

Last edited:
M

member 603

Nah bro you a blue belt so you've been doing this for quite a bit. There's white belts that try give advice/teach lol and they have no right doing so.
Everyone who does it can give advice... True story, I was rolling with a visiting black belt at my gym... a Ryan Gracie black belt.... Homey was HUGE.... we were having a good match and I was trying to execute my X guard and Lasso Guard game. Since my man was legit 50 pounds larger than I was (an knew how to drop his weight), it was a tough match. I had just the day earlier done a drill with my youth competition team, arm drag to a back take from the half guard.... my team is ages 8-13 mostly (about 20 kids).... I was trying to get that X guard going (shifting my hips under him and extending my legs) when one of the kids shouts from the sideline "Coach Ray, do that drill thing we did".... My mind clicks and I immediately hit the arm drag an take his back....... a 11 year old called out my move....... This art, the sport version humbles you. I know AWESOME leg lock guys who are purple belts (look at the last few EBI's), whenever you feel you are too good to learn from someone, the game will pass you by badly.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I found another match. Not as exciting as the others I think because it was the first match I was a bit tense. Won on one advantage lol but I was going for sweeps, trying to break his posture take his back. He was pretty aggressive and almost passed my guard a few times but I did well. Also you can hear leigh shouting on the mat next to me coaching his team.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JHv3IrHmn1s

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
SAJ @SAJ you did great there, especially since it was your first match. You were very active in your guard, and were doing a good job of keeping him off balance. A lot of guys go into possum mode in guard at their first tournament and just hold onto full guard for dear life.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
SAJ @SAJ you did great there, especially since it was your first match. You were very active in your guard, and were doing a good job of keeping him off balance. A lot of guys go into possum mode in guard at their first tournament and just hold onto full guard for dear life.
Yes I kinda noticed. I'm normally wayy more active though. I go inverted a lot and spam berimbolos but I didn't really want to lose position.

I've been told I have an 'annoying guard ' aha. I use my long legs and go inverted every time I feel ima get passed. Usually I recover guard.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Hip bump is a fundamental BJJ technique IMO.

Against noobs, it's a quick, easy, low risk, and high % way to get a lot of points and a dominant position.

Against more experienced people, their reaction to the hip bump can set up a bunch of other techniques.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
I was just exposed to it yesterday and have been drilling it since. Also drilling the hip bump triangle. Can't believe I have only found out about this

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
I agree with maurice @maurice. I use the hip bump quite a bit, often getting kimuras or proper position for a scissor sweep from the persons reaction

M

member 603

All the time, especially when guys posture up and lean back.... And you can set up kimura attacks or guillotine attacks if your opponent ducks their head down... One of my coaches called that set up the 3 wise men