BJJ Technique Thread

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
May 12-14th

Supposed to be biggest bjj competition in the UK from what I've heard.

I was supposed to go to the Bristol open this Sunday but something came up. I would like to have at least one more competition before the British open. Hereford have another competition in April I believe. Might sign up for that too.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Another question leigh, do/have you ever trained with Ronnie mann?

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
My kids are back at BJJ now that basketball/wrestling season is over. They're smashing everybody with reverse scarf passes in sparring, because apparently nobody used that pass the whole time that they were gone and the kids on the bottom haven't the first clue how to stop them. The same thing happened last year, when they returned using toreando passes, and I guess everybody else in the meanwhile was being instructed to pass from their knees. The head instructor can't complain, because this makes him a lot of money when the other parents pay him for private lessons to teach the kids how to defend.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Another question leigh, do/have you ever trained with Ronnie mann?
No. It's just been circumstances because we get on well and have friends in the same training circles. He is very good in all areas though - an excellent striker, wrestler and BJJ black belt. I always thought of him as a striker but good wrestlers tell me he's amazing at wrestling.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Been watching a lot of Ryan Hall lately. How is he viewed in the BJJ world?

How does he stack up against the rest of the elite grapplers?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Been watching a lot of Ryan Hall lately. How is he viewed in the BJJ world?

How does he stack up against the rest of the elite grapplers?
His triangles and leg locks from 50/50 are next level. He is one of the most cerebral BJJ guys I have met, if you find videos of him discussing his grappling philosophy, I strongly recommend watching them.

M

member 603

I agree with Doc, I wish Ryan the best in MMA, but I miss him on the BJJ scene.... I wish he'd do a EBI against those DDS guys

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
His triangles and leg locks from 50/50 are next level. He is one of the most cerebral BJJ guys I have met, if you find videos of him discussing his grappling philosophy, I strongly recommend watching them.

Yes I definitely will he seems like an interesting character for sure and I love the way he teaches. This video has improved my triangles sooooo much.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rsNtpxKVn5M

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Saj what weight class and age bracket do you compete in? Congrats on the success so far. Ryan Hall is ace he has torrettes syndrome so that's why he has little ticks. He fought well in TUF and there's a funny street fight vid of him on the web somewhere I'll try find it. His technique is great.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Saj what weight class and age bracket do you compete in? Congrats on the success so far. Ryan Hall is ace he has torrettes syndrome so that's why he has little ticks. He fought well in TUF and there's a funny street fight vid of him on the web somewhere I'll try find it. His technique is great.
I compete at 70 kg adult, I'm 21. I'm pretty light for my division i only weight about 64 kg.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Props for competing at 70, that is a big difference from 64. I'm pretty clueless with divisions isn't there a lighter one?

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
Well, why not share
-> I am starting BJJ, it's a lot of fun! I feel beaten up harder than from kickboxing in the past. It sure is awesome to think that I could learn a bit of that, too.

I went there 2 times, the first time, I tried an armbar and my right nut got right between the arm and my hip. Second time I put on my kickboxing cup, but it goes all the way to the back and when I sat in mount, the end tip of it pinched me in the butthole. Quite a strange sensation, but it was a relief when I figured out that it was from the cup, not from the other guy.
Also I got caught 3 extra times when I focussed heavily not to fart during rolling :D. So there's that.

Do you wear different cups/if at all in JiuJitsu training than in MuayThai/Kickboxing?
I will ask the guys at the club for advice next time

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Props for competing at 70, that is a big difference from 64. I'm pretty clueless with divisions isn't there a lighter one?
Yeah there is a 64 kg division but weighing in with the Gi on pushes me just over the weight limit. I would be sooooo long at 64 kg. Even at 70kg I was the tallest competitor. I just need to start lifting and get bigger for my weight class. I'm really skinny so if lose weight I think I would dissappear lol.

SAJ

Posting Machine
Aug 2, 2015
Well, why not share
-> I am starting BJJ, it's a lot of fun! I feel beaten up harder than from kickboxing in the past. It sure is awesome to think that I could learn a bit of that, too.

I went there 2 times, the first time, I tried an armbar and my right nut got right between the arm and my hip. Second time I put on my kickboxing cup, but it goes all the way to the back and when I sat in mount, the end tip of it pinched me in the butthole. Quite a strange sensation, but it was a relief when I figured out that it was from the cup, not from the other guy.
Also I got caught 3 extra times when I focussed heavily not to fart during rolling :D. So there's that.

Do you wear different cups/if at all in JiuJitsu training than in MuayThai/Kickboxing?
I don't think we're allowed to wear cups at my place. A guy told me it hurts like hell when some ones cup digs Into you. Leigh @Leigh is this true ?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Well, why not share

If I wore one, I'd wear a Diamond. I actually have one, and it works awesome. Very comfortable, training partners don't hate it...But I started out with compression shorts, and that's what feels most comfortable. Besides, if jiu-jitsu can't protect your balls, what good is it anyway?

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
went to a Pedro Sauer seminar last weekend. Asked him about the scissor sweep, why it stops working. Except for some guys who hit it on everyone.

Straightening the legs, and a little bit of timing. But mostly straightening the legs/body position. He's a very good teacher, spent the time working fine points of common beginner positions - most of the seminar was blue belts. Cross-side escapes, but as a strategy - not a collection or sequence of techniques. Also, one of the nicest people you could ever meet. He's as genuine as Marcelo. And nobody is more genuine than Marcelo.

Last edited:

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Technically, NAGA rules "encourage" a cup for gi and actually require a cup (and mouth guard) for no gi, but this typically is not enforced.