Bloomberg News: Russian Jet Shot Down by Turkey

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 1013

Jet Shot Down by Turkey on Syria Border Was Russian: Anadolu
Benjamin Harvey
November 24, 2015 — 1:45 AM MST Updated on November 24, 2015 — 1:50 AM MST
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

An unidentified aircraft purportedly goes down in Kizildag region of Turkey's Hatay province, close to the Syrian border, on Nov. 24, 2015.

Photographer: Fatih Akta/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images

The jet shot down by Turkish forces on the Syria border earlier today was Russia’s, Turkey’s state-run Anadolu Agency reported, citing sources in the office of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The Su-24 jet was warned after violating Turkish airspace and was then downed in line with Turkey’s rules of engagement, Anadolu says, citing officials at the presidency.

Jet Shot Down by Turkey on Syria Border Was Russian: Anadolu - Bloomberg Business

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Turkey is getting all that dilicious oil from Isis, gotta protect one's interests! Sucks to have Russia against you though. There will be further escalation.

M

member 1013

Turkey is getting all that dilicious oil from Isis, gotta protect one's interests! Sucks to have Russia against you though. There will be further escalation.
Oil does taste fucking amazing, I agree.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Turkey have been illegally moving their border further and further into Syria.
There has been a lot of tension over Russian jets flying over traditional Syrian land which Turkey is now claiming it theirs but Russia is not accepting.

Welcome WW3?

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Turkey's a powerhouse dawg, second biggest army in NATO.

I assume they buy their SAMs from Murica and other allies.
Just making assumptions, but i bet they are second rate military technology. We arent giving them the good shit and as much time and effort that Russia spends spying and copying our shit i would imagine Putin just shit hmself. Meanwhile Barry is sittin in the Casa Blanco looking at all those Putin memes not giving a fuck about Russia now.

Of course anyone can be taken off guard and i would bet Turkey wants no part of fighting Russia at this point so its gonna be expensive or the start of WW3.

M

member 1013

Just making assumptions, but i bet they are second rate military technology. We arent giving them the good shit and as much time and effort that Russia spends spying and copying our shit i would imagine Putin just shit hmself. Meanwhile Barry is sittin in the Casa Blanco looking at all those Putin memes not giving a fuck about Russia now.

Of course anyone can be taken off guard and i would bet Turkey wants no part of fighting Russia at this point so its gonna be expensive or the start of WW3.
No idea if this stuff is good but this is what Wikipedia says they have as far as SAMs

Air Defense Weapons
Weapon Origin Role Versions In service Notes
Surface to Air Weapons

MIM-23
USA Medium Range Air Defense Weapon Hawk XXI 48 Fire Unit with 16 Battery[1]
Rapier missile
UK/
Turkey Medium Range Air Defense Weapon Rapier FSB1 515 Fire Unit with 86 Battery[2] Produced under license by Roketsan.
Atılgan PMADS
Turkey Short Range Air Defense Weapon Zıpkın Variant 32 Battery
FIM-92 Stinger
USA/
Turkey MANPADS - 108 Launcher Produced under license by Roketsan.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Oh shit, we didn't need that. Hopefully it can be resolved

Turkey are like the angry drunk girlfriend who goes picking fights at the bar for you to deal with.

M

member 1013

Turkey are like the angry drunk girlfriend who goes picking fights at the bar for you to deal with.
Vladimir Vladmorovich and Recep Tayyip Erdoğan should just Turkish Oil Wrestle like gentlemen.

EyeAmYuki

Posting Machine
Nov 4, 2015
Seems like this whole thing is a proxy war and Turkey's SAMs are being used as cover from the Ruskies for the Rebels/ISIS/Assad opposition.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Why wouldn't Turkey be getting the "good shit"? They're NATO allies.
I am sure what we sell them is good, but i doubt it has the same technology as the ones we have personally. The planes we sell are only the same in design, we strip down some of the tech shit so its not quite as good as the ones we have. Never know when they will be used against you.

M

member 3289

I think this will all eventually blow over.

Russia is NOT going to attack Turkey, or any other member of NATO for that matter.

The Russians do this shit all the time. They do it in northern Europe/Baltic countries, they do it near the neutral zone of Alaska and Russia, they do it wherever they think they can "test" their enemy and get away with it.

M

member 3289

I am sure what we sell them is good, but i doubt it has the same technology as the ones we have personally. The planes we sell are only the same in design, we strip down some of the tech shit so its not quite as good as the ones we have. Never know when they will be used against you.
No one gets F-22As besides us, not even the Canadians or the Brits.

But I imagine Turkey gets decent F-16s.

Will be interesting to see if these are really what shot down the Russian jets.

M

member 3289

Al-Jazeera is reporting that one of the Russian pilots has been captured and killed.

M

member 3289

It's not the first time this has happened, though.

And Turkey isn't stupid. After this happened last month, John Kerry said Turkey would have been within their right to shoot the Russian plane down.

Also, NATO countries have said that they are ready to defend Turkey against violations of its airspace by Russia.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Says the pilot was captured by Syrian rebels. were they Syrian rebels hiding in Turkey, or were they operating in the zone Turkey and Syria both claim?

M

member 3289

Says the pilot was captured by Syrian rebels. were they Syrian rebels hiding in Turkey, or were they operating in the zone Turkey and Syria both claim?
The plane clearly crashed in Syria according to everything I've read. Latakia province, so they're not ISIS rebels.

The dispute is whether they were over Turkish territory when they were fired upon.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
The plane clearly crashed in Syria according to everything I've read. Latakia province, so they're not ISIS rebels.

The dispute is whether they were over Turkish territory when they were fired upon.
I doubt we ever get the whole truth. Both sides will be spinning this hard. Not the first time the Turks and Commies have had problems. Will be interesting how Russia plays this since they aren't dealing with a 3rd world army this time.