General Board Game

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I’ve put up threads about other board games in geek but no one seems to go there so I thought I’d show it off here.

I got my copy of Gloomhaven today that I’ve been waiting for this since last summer. I’m super stoked to play it next week with my friends but first I had to unpack the 22 pounds of board game.

All the book looking things in the box are different character classes and miniatures as well as a ton of cards.

All popped.

A little Bourbon for the effort.

I still haven’t unwrapped and set out the 12 decks of cards yet but I’ve got all the pieces popped and I need to head to the store to find some kind if organizer that will keep it in order.

I love this kind of stuff because everyone these days is glued to their phone or computer and board games force you to interact with people.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
My word! That's impressive!

I'm a bit of a Backgammon, Texas Holdem and Cards Against Humanity fiend but that's about as far as it goes and they're not even slightly in the same remit as your set up there.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
This is the last game I got.

Copied this from geek.

My game showed up yesterday. My son and I played the tutorial last night and it was really fun. Going to try the first mission tonight.

Do you watch that Wil Wheaton show about board games?

These seem super elaborate. Let us know if it ends up being worth all the effort.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Do you watch that Wil Wheaton show about board games?

These seem super elaborate. Let us know if it ends up being worth all the effort.
Yes, I have multiple times. I’ve yet to buy a game from the show but I’ve seriously considered a few.

The Mechs vs Minions game I posted above is 75 bucks USD and worth every penny. I’ve played through the whole game (it took about 30 hours) and we had a blast. You can order it directly from riot and I can’t say enough good things about it.

Riot Games Merch | Mechs Vs Minions (Wave 2) - Board Games - Other

If you’ve played DnD before Gloomhaven is basically that kind of game where you don’t need a DM because all the actions are card based. It’s been the highest rated board game on the internet since it came out.

Here’s a quick video that gives you an idea of what it’s about.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
It looks very impressive!

I'm working on a board game with a "Thirteen Ghosts" movie theme that will play like an advanced version of Ludo. I'm still trying to figure out some of the board mechanisms plus it will be a really large shoop project so I've got my hands full with it. The "Ghosts" will be MMA fighters that have nicknames starting with "The" like Clay "The Carpenter" Guida. Took awhile to compile my list of 76 but I'm happy with the selection and it should be very interesting trying to make them all scary and in theme.

Gonna share this boardgame I saw on twitter awhile back though

Last edited:

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
It looks interesting!

I'm working on a board game with a "Thirteen Ghosts" movie theme that will play like an advanced version of Ludo. I'm still trying to figure out some of the board mechanisms and it will be a really large shoop project so I've got my hands full with it. The "Ghosts" will be MMA fighters that have nicknames starting with "The" like Clay "The Carpenter" Guida. Took awhile to compile my list of 76 but I'm happy with the selection and it should be very interesting trying to make them all scary and in theme.

Keep at it bro. The Gloomhaven game in the first post was made entirely by one guy and has had two crazy successful kickstarters and is now in retail. If you build it they will come.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
I fixed the image link ^^

The choice of a hexagon tiled board for Gloomhaven is cool, I really don't rate square tiles for board games so anything 6 and above is a plus. I'm using 8 for my game because of the UFC Octagon, and it means it can be up to 8 players too given the imposed symmetry of the board layout.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I fixed the image link ^^

The choice of a hexagon tiled board for Gloomhaven is cool, I really don't rate square tiles for board games so anything 6 and above is a plus. I'm using 8 for my game because of the UFC Octagon, and it means it can be up to 8 players too given the imposed symmetry of the board layout.
Img still broken.

I like the 8 sided idea, it works perfect with the subject matter.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
This is the last game I got.

Copied this from geek.

My game showed up yesterday. My son and I played the tutorial last night and it was really fun. Going to try the first mission tonight.

ur a cool ass dad

good on you

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
ur a cool ass dad

good on you
I played that whole game through with my son and two revolving friends. He was a big part of the reason I bought it. I wanted to show him that not all fun games need to be played on a tv.

This new one I want my wife and him to play with me. He’s down but my wife is going to be trouble. She doesn’t like complicated games and we don’t play any other kind.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I have no idea what this game is, but this is why I selected "winner"
That’s perfect because that paragraph was the reason exact I started buying board games.

I want to have a cell phone signal blocker for my house that I could take with me to any bar or restaurant I go to (I realize these are available but I don’t want to get arrested for carrying one around).

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I played that whole game through with my son and two revolving friends. He was a big part of the reason I bought it. I wanted to show him that not all fun games need to be played on a tv.

This new one I want my wife and him to play with me. He’s down but my wife is going to be trouble. She doesn’t like complicated games and we don’t play any other kind.
She sounds like me...lol different types

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
It looks very impressive!

I'm working on a board game with a "Thirteen Ghosts" movie theme that will play like an advanced version of Ludo. I'm still trying to figure out some of the board mechanisms plus it will be a really large shoop project so I've got my hands full with it. The "Ghosts" will be MMA fighters that have nicknames starting with "The" like Clay "The Carpenter" Guida. Took awhile to compile my list of 76 but I'm happy with the selection and it should be very interesting trying to make them all scary and in theme.

Working now bro.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Yes, I have multiple times. I’ve yet to buy a game from the show but I’ve seriously considered a few.

The Mechs vs Minions game I posted above is 75 bucks USD and worth every penny. I’ve played through the whole game (it took about 30 hours) and we had a blast. You can order it directly from riot and I can’t say enough good things about it.

Riot Games Merch | Mechs Vs Minions (Wave 2) - Board Games - Other

If you’ve played DnD before Gloomhaven is basically that kind of game where you don’t need a DM because all the actions are card based. It’s been the highest rated board game on the internet since it came out.

Here’s a quick video that gives you an idea of what it’s about.

I need this shit.

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015
I’ve put up threads about other board games in geek but no one seems to go there so I thought I’d show it off here.

I got my copy of Gloomhaven today that I’ve been waiting for this since last summer. I’m super stoked to play it next week with my friends but first I had to unpack the 22 pounds of board game.

All the book looking things in the box are different character classes and miniatures as well as a ton of cards.

All popped.

A little Bourbon for the effort.

I still haven’t unwrapped and set out the 12 decks of cards yet but I’ve got all the pieces popped and I need to head to the store to find some kind if organizer that will keep it in order.

I love this kind of stuff because everyone these days is glued to their phone or computer and board games force you to interact with people.
I wanted to say something shitty like "change the title to bored games," but that is actually pretty cool.