VID 'Bones': Rematch with Gustafsson, not Cormier, most important to 'get rid of doubt'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
P

Punch

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATzGzoSmwtg

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is days away from his first formal UFC public appearance since the UFC reinstated him after initially stripping “Bones” of the title and suspending him this past year.

Jones (21-1 MMA, 15-1 UFC) has been on the sidelines since a unanimous-decision victory over now-champ Daniel Cormier (17-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) at UFC 182 in January 2015. Jones was subsequently charged in a hit-and-run accident that put his career on the sidelines.

“Bones” is back now, and in UFC 197’s pay-per-view headliner on April 23 in Las Vegas, he looks to reclaim the belt from Cormier, who won the vacant title during Jones’ suspension.

But before any of that happens, Jones and Cormier will come face-to-face prior to Friday’s UFC 196 weigh-ins. Although Jones downplayed his animosity with “DC” on social media, he said he’s not sure what it will be like when he’s in the same room with his rival for the first time in 14 months (via Twitter):

View: https://twitter.com/JonnyBones/status/703332838892916736

“Right now there isn’t any (animosity), but I’m sure when I see him, things will ramp up a bit,” Jones recently told MMAjunkie. “I haven’t really thought about it at all. I’ve been in the UFC for so many years now, so it can’t be anything too different than what I’ve experienced. I’m excited to just take it as it comes.”

The Cormier rematch marks Jones’ opportunity to regain the belt he never officially lost in the octagon. A second showdown with Cormier is a big fight, Jones said, but it’s not the one he wants most. Jones still has vivid memories of his razor-thin 2013 win over Alexander Gustafsson and said that rematch is more crucial than one with Cormier.

“I have those feelings a little more with Gustafsson than I do with Daniel,” Jones said. “I already beat (Cormier) by unanimous decision, so I don’t really have this feeling where I have to put him away or get rid of him once and for all. I just need to fight him because he has the belt right now. That’s really what this is all about for me. I feel that way more about Gustafsson. I really need to fight him again just to get rid of all doubt.”

Nevertheless, Cormier is the fight on deck for Jones, and the No. 1 fighter in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA pound-for-pound rankings said he’s ready to upstage his previous performance in what will be the first rematch of his career.

“My goal is to win in a more dominating fashion than last time,” Jones said. “A finish would be an absolute cherry on top, but I just want to perform better than I did the first time.”

LINK to original article: 'Bones': Rematch with Gustafsson, not Cormier, most important to 'get rid of doubt'

P

Punch

I sincerely hope Bones keeps his *ahem* nose clean. When he's on point he truly is a treat to watch inside the cage. DC v. JJ 2 is shaping up to be a good one. :D

Mishima Zaibatsu

TMMAC’s resident musician
Feb 27, 2016
Can't wait to see the man back in action.

Now that he's 100% focused on his training it's scary and exciting to think what he's capable of now.

Nobody is safe, :eek:

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Hide yo kids, hide yo wives, and hide yo light heavyweights cos Jones be Hellbowing e'erybody out there.....

P

Punch

That's some next level trolling on jj's part too. The "dc isn't the issue, Gus is" troll is subtle, but harder to refute.

Kingtony87

Batman
Feb 2, 2016
About damn time he admitted there were some question marks there. Jackson may of finally taught him how to get some fans. You know guys like chuck, bj, gsp, and Mac, be like those guys. Fight everyone put in front of you and try to remove any doubts from your fights.

madmav

Posting Machine
Jan 29, 2016
styles make fights.. gus can beat jones.. jones will prolly win again against dc and rumble will stomp gus everytime just as dc will grind out rumble.. these are the top 4 guys.. the next year or so will be fun.

TedCzech

Ted Czech
Jan 11, 2016

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATzGzoSmwtg

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Former UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is days away from his first formal UFC public appearance since the UFC reinstated him after initially stripping “Bones” of the title and suspending him this past year.

Jones (21-1 MMA, 15-1 UFC) has been on the sidelines since a unanimous-decision victory over now-champ Daniel Cormier (17-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) at UFC 182 in January 2015. Jones was subsequently charged in a hit-and-run accident that put his career on the sidelines.

“Bones” is back now, and in UFC 197’s pay-per-view headliner on April 23 in Las Vegas, he looks to reclaim the belt from Cormier, who won the vacant title during Jones’ suspension.

But before any of that happens, Jones and Cormier will come face-to-face prior to Friday’s UFC 196 weigh-ins. Although Jones downplayed his animosity with “DC” on social media, he said he’s not sure what it will be like when he’s in the same room with his rival for the first time in 14 months (via Twitter):

View: https://twitter.com/JonnyBones/status/703332838892916736

“Right now there isn’t any (animosity), but I’m sure when I see him, things will ramp up a bit,” Jones recently told MMAjunkie. “I haven’t really thought about it at all. I’ve been in the UFC for so many years now, so it can’t be anything too different than what I’ve experienced. I’m excited to just take it as it comes.”

The Cormier rematch marks Jones’ opportunity to regain the belt he never officially lost in the octagon. A second showdown with Cormier is a big fight, Jones said, but it’s not the one he wants most. Jones still has vivid memories of his razor-thin 2013 win over Alexander Gustafsson and said that rematch is more crucial than one with Cormier.

“I have those feelings a little more with Gustafsson than I do with Daniel,” Jones said. “I already beat (Cormier) by unanimous decision, so I don’t really have this feeling where I have to put him away or get rid of him once and for all. I just need to fight him because he has the belt right now. That’s really what this is all about for me. I feel that way more about Gustafsson. I really need to fight him again just to get rid of all doubt.”

Nevertheless, Cormier is the fight on deck for Jones, and the No. 1 fighter in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA pound-for-pound rankings said he’s ready to upstage his previous performance in what will be the first rematch of his career.

“My goal is to win in a more dominating fashion than last time,” Jones said. “A finish would be an absolute cherry on top, but I just want to perform better than I did the first time.”

LINK to original article: 'Bones': Rematch with Gustafsson, not Cormier, most important to 'get rid of doubt'

Gus needs to get his head on straight -- last thing I read was that he was questioning if his heart was in the game ... I remember after GSP lost to Serra, he went into a depression and hired a sports shrink to help him gain his confidence back. Maybe Gus should hire that guy ...

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
He can say what he wants now, but after Jones beats DC he will move up to heavyweight to avoid another loss to Gus.