General Book and Movie Recommendations

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Let’s introduce some god damned culture to this forum and recommend some under the radar books/movies and tv shows others may not know about.

I’m going to start with this book. Vacationland by John Hodgman (The PC guy from the Apple ads)
It is hilarious.

I’ll admit it is written by a guy in his early 40s about being in his early 40s so maybe you younger punks won’t like it as much as I do, but I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Last edited:

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

A dude notices that there is a series of backyard pools that form a "river" back to house. He decides to swim home.

I guess this would be considered a black comedy. Some real dark shit.

"This is a painful movie to watch. But it is also exhilarating, as all good movies are, because we are watching the director and actors venturing beyond any conventional idea of what a modern movie can be about. Here there is no plot, no characters to identify with, no hope. But there is care: The filmmakers care enough about these people to observe them very closely, to note how they look and sound and what they feel." - Ebert

An American road movie through the eyes of a European. Probably in my top 10 movies of all time.

An unlikely friendship between a cab driver and a depressed dude he picks up.

Currently reading

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015

A dude notices that there is a series of backyard pools that form a "river" back to house. He decides to swim home.

I guess this would be considered a black comedy. Some real dark shit.

"This is a painful movie to watch. But it is also exhilarating, as all good movies are, because we are watching the director and actors venturing beyond any conventional idea of what a modern movie can be about. Here there is no plot, no characters to identify with, no hope. But there is care: The filmmakers care enough about these people to observe them very closely, to note how they look and sound and what they feel." - Ebert

An American road movie through the eyes of a European. Probably in my top 10 movies of all time.

An unlikely friendship between a cab driver and a depressed dude he picks up.

Currently reading

I haven’t seen “Naked” in 20 years. I loved it. I have the screenplay on my shelf.
Never heard of “The Swimmer” and I’ve been meaning to watch “Paris Texas” for ever.
Never read “Travels With Charley” but “East of Eden” is probably my favourite book.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Let’s introduce some god damned culture to this forum and recommend some under the radar books/movies and tv shows others may not know about.

I’m going to start with this book. Vacationland by John Hodgman (The PC guy from the Apple ads)
It is hilarious.

I’ll admit it is written by a guy in his early 40s about being in his early 40s so maybe you younger punks won’t like it as much as I do, but I can’t recommend it highly enough.
Book I will read soon as well. A Big John Hodgman fan here, from both his podcast as well as his special on Netflix and his numerous appearance on The Daily Show (when it was still funny).

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Everyone should read this book too. It is great. It is a brilliant story told in the traditional western style. It’s going to be made into a movie and I think it will be huge (I think Matt Damon is making it). It’s a pretty hard book to fuck up into a movie translation.

Coast

Land of the Prince Bishops
Oct 18, 2017
Watched an Irish Gangster film called Irish Gangsters.

It has no budget, no famous cast members, and its fucking brilliant.

Not for Americans though who can't even understand proper English - you all got no chance understanding this unless you dont mind subtitles. :p

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I’m listening to an interview on CBC with author Malka Older and for sp reason I think kneeblock @kneeblock might be into her. Cool sci-fi trilogy might be on my list.

D9C1AFBE-B584-4F04-A0A8-E4A879A6DBCA.png

It's been twenty years and two election cycles since Information, a powerful search engine monopoly, pioneered the switch from warring nation-states to global micro-democracy. The corporate coalition party Heritage has won the last two elections. With another election on the horizon, the Supermajority is in tight contention, and everything's on the line.

With power comes corruption. For Ken, this is his chance to do right by the idealistic Policy1st party and get a steady job in the big leagues. For Domaine, the election represents another staging ground in his ongoing struggle against the pax democratica. For Mishima, a dangerous Information operative, the whole situation is a puzzle: how do you keep the wheels running on the biggest political experiment of all time, when so many have so much to gain?

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I’m listening to an interview on CBC with author Malka Older and for sp reason I think kneeblock @kneeblock might be into her. Cool sci-fi trilogy might be on my list.

View attachment 59528

It's been twenty years and two election cycles since Information, a powerful search engine monopoly, pioneered the switch from warring nation-states to global micro-democracy. The corporate coalition party Heritage has won the last two elections. With another election on the horizon, the Supermajority is in tight contention, and everything's on the line.

With power comes corruption. For Ken, this is his chance to do right by the idealistic Policy1st party and get a steady job in the big leagues. For Domaine, the election represents another staging ground in his ongoing struggle against the pax democratica. For Mishima, a dangerous Information operative, the whole situation is a puzzle: how do you keep the wheels running on the biggest political experiment of all time, when so many have so much to gain?

Sounds shit.