BOTW like games for PS4?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Got into gaming late, quite recently in fact.
I had seen play throughs of Breath of the Wild and it's exactly the sort of game I had always wanted:

Big open world

Lots to explore

You can do the side missions or not

Minimal cut scenes, story. Story is a distant second to game play. If I want something "cinematic" I'll go see a movie.

Recommendations?

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Got into gaming late, quite recently in fact.
I had seen play throughs of Breath of the Wild and it's exactly the sort of game I had always wanted:

Big open world

Lots to explore

You can do the side missions or not

Minimal cut scenes, story. Story is a distant second to game play. If I want something "cinematic" I'll go see a movie.

Recommendations?
in terms of open world, Witcher 3

i was reading the Witcher in 2015, and found out there was a game. so i got a ps4 with "last of us" so as to try Witcher 3. turns out, it won game of the year in 2015. and it was awesome

i hadnt played anything since Ocarina of Time and Mask of Zorra on n64, so Witcher 3 came as a major "holy shit" to me. i turned on the PS4 for a couple days last year, and the game was still fun

so yeah, Witcher 3 for open world. there are cinematic stuff to introduce new missions when you play through the main storyline. but you can run around doing whatever you want if you feel like it, especially after you open up the entire world

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
The witcher as he said, even tho personally it never gripped me, or I never took the time to get to know it properly I guess. Just barely advanced past the tutorial.

Elden Ring as a new addition. It's a masterpiece, but it's challenging.

But reading your post one game basically screams all this: Skyrim. It's already a couple years old, but still has a massive following and huge amount of mods to play around with.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
The witcher as he said, even tho personally it never gripped me, or I never took the time to get to know it properly I guess. Just barely advanced past the tutorial.

Elden Ring as a new addition. It's a masterpiece, but it's challenging.

But reading your post one game basically screams all this: Skyrim. It's already a couple years old, but still has a massive following and huge amount of mods to play around with.
Elden ring is amazing, and massive.
Skyrim was great when it came out, and you can use mods on console.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Genshin Impact, The Division, and Assassin's Creed (pre-Origins), and Metal Gear Solid 5 are games with minimal story and a lot of side missions you can do or not. There are stories to each of them, but they don't necessarily condition gameplay. Also No Man's Sky if you like space stuff.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
+1 for Skyrim (and Morrowind/Oblivion) and Assassin's Creed series. I only played AC up to the third game, but they were all great. Been meaning to catch up.