Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Doesn't make sense to break the bank on cocktails imo
I use Benchmark.
It's bottled at the Buffalo Trace distillery.
It's $10
80 proof

Perfect for mixing - and not bad for a cheap handle on a camping trip.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Very informative. I'm gonna see what else is out there. Would like to get a nice bottle to soften the blow of closing my business. ?
I'm pretty surprised you can find it up there. Most of the local distilleries don't have much of a distribution area until they get more established. It's worth a try for sure, but I wouldn't expect it to blow your socks off. But like I said, I also need to go grab one myself so I can form a stronger opinion of it. Sometimes my opinion changes from my first impression. I will say that it does have better color than some of the other 2-year Texas whiskies. They seem to be doing something better than some of the others.

I don't drink a lot of single malt, but there is a local distillery called Swift that has a great product. They have a couple of different offerings of single malt that are aged in bourbon barrels first, and then wine barrels. They go for about $65 a bottle though, but they are pretty damn good. Texas is figuring whiskey out finally ;)

When are you closing shop? I'm sure that'll be hard to let go of. Are you going to do the same work when you move to NZ?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Grateful Dude @Grateful Dude do any of these come recommended?

View attachment 33046
God damn liquor is expensive in Canada.

Out of that list, I'd personally go for the 1920 OF or the Russell's. The Angel's Envy is good, but I didn't think it was anything special. I remember it being pretty easy to drink though.

I really like the higher end lineup that Old Forester has put out, and the 1920 is one of my favorites out of that group. The 1897 was also really good. I think the other two bottles are called 1870 and The Statesman. All are good, but 1920 and 1897 were my personal top picks. I believe SuperPig @Willthiswork has also tried these and liked them.

I also really like the Russell's products (we have 4 options here - bourbon 10yr, single barrel bourbon, and then a rye and single barrel rye) . The single barrel bourbon and rye are a little pricey, but are pretty solid. I think it was you that liked the Russell's 10 year, so I think you'd enjoy this as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those options.

M

member 1013

Damn. Sorry to hear about your business. Don’t know what you do but hopefully you can bounce right back.

Of what you listed there I prefer Bookers but many will probably prefer the OF 1920.
He’s moving across the Pacific Ocean

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm pretty surprised you can find it up there. Most of the local distilleries don't have much of a distribution area until they get more established. It's worth a try for sure, but I wouldn't expect it to blow your socks off. But like I said, I also need to go grab one myself so I can form a stronger opinion of it. Sometimes my opinion changes from my first impression. I will say that it does have better color than some of the other 2-year Texas whiskies. They seem to be doing something better than some of the others.

I don't drink a lot of single malt, but there is a local distillery called Swift that has a great product. They have a couple of different offerings of single malt that are aged in bourbon barrels first, and then wine barrels. They go for about $65 a bottle though, but they are pretty damn good. Texas is figuring whiskey out finally ;)

When are you closing shop? I'm sure that'll be hard to let go of. Are you going to do the same work when you move to NZ?
I have about a week left of work. Building second floor, throw a roof up and install windows and that's it that's all. Was looking into project management positions in construction. Also want to do some milling and hobby projects on the side.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I have about a week left of work. Building second floor, throw a roof up and install windows and that's it that's all. Was looking into project management positions in construction. Also want to do some milling and hobby projects on the side.
When you leaving?

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Damn. Sorry to hear about your business. Don’t know what you do but hopefully you can bounce right back.

Of what you listed there I prefer Bookers but many will probably prefer the OF 1920.
It's a bit disheartening, but I'll get over it knowing I won't have to shovel snow and work in temperatures as low as -30°c

I've had bookers and really enjoyed it, gonna try something new

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
It's a bit disheartening, but I'll get over it knowing I won't have to shovel snow and work in temperatures as low as -30°c

I've had bookers and really enjoyed it, gonna try something new
Worked a winter in Gothenburg, Sweden. I understand your issues with the cold.

Good luck with the relocation.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Worked a winter in Gothenburg, Sweden. I understand your issues with the cold.

Good luck with the relocation.
Thank you.
I'm accustomed to winter, it's rarely slowed us diwn. That being said, certainly won't miss it.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
These are some other bottles I've got my eyes on. Jeffersons ocean looks interesting. Their whiskey is aged at sea. Maybe a bit on the gimmicky side to justify the price, but I'll admit I'm curious.

Screenshot_20210412-181245_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20210412-181255_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20210412-181302_Samsung Internet.jpg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
That one looks promising, I'll have to see if it's available.
The Michters is pretty solid.

The Jefferson’s Ocean is also good, but it’s expensive. It definitely tastes different than their standard bottle. It is kind of a novelty/gimmick like you said, but it is good. It’s worth trying at some point.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I bought these as my entry price into a raffle for a bottle of Pappy 15.

bourbon barrel aged maple syrup and ghost pepper hot sauce. I’ve had the syrup before and it’s really fucking good. Hot sauce is new though.

I’d like to say that I have my fingers crossed, but I’ve entered a bunch of these raffles before ??‍♂

but you can’t win if you don’t play!
E1C645C1-E333-432B-AF85-5E3FA1072BA2.jpeg

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
I bought these as my entry price into a raffle for a bottle of Pappy 15.

bourbon barrel aged maple syrup and ghost pepper hot sauce. I’ve had the syrup before and it’s really fucking good. Hot sauce is new though.

I’d like to say that I have my fingers crossed, but I’ve entered a bunch of these raffles before ??‍♂

but you can’t win if you don’t play!
View attachment 33216
Only raffle I've ever won has been with cigars. I've won multiple items at nearly every event I've attended. I've got nothing with every other raffle though lol.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Only raffle I've ever won has been with cigars. I've won multiple items at nearly every event I've attended. I've got nothing with every other raffle though lol.
Yeah, my expectations aren’t high. But who knows, maybe one day I’ll get lucky. All I know is that if I don’t try, I definitely won’t win ?

I haven’t seen one for a while now, but a few local liquor stores used to raffle bottles too. For some of the battles I’d love to own, it’s about the only way to get your hands on them (unless you have a distributor hookup). The vast majority of these bottles go to restaurants and bars, not for retail sale. The one I entered to win is usually about $50 a shot at a bar ?

somebody has to win, right?

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Yeah, my expectations aren’t high. But who knows, maybe one day I’ll get lucky. All I know is that if I don’t try, I definitely won’t win ?

I haven’t seen one for a while now, but a few local liquor stores used to raffle bottles too. For some of the battles I’d love to own, it’s about the only way to get your hands on them (unless you have a distributor hookup). The vast majority of these bottles go to restaurants and bars, not for retail sale. The one I entered to win is usually about $50 a shot at a bar ?

somebody has to win, right?
I don't enter unless they're pulling tickets that night. My wife works in marketing & was telling me how several companies use these "raffles" as a way to get contact info for future orders. Also that the winners were predetermined by chances of getting a contract. If you're entering at a local mom & pop store your chances are probably as good as anyone's though.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I don't enter unless they're pulling tickets that night. My wife works in marketing & was telling me how several companies use these "raffles" as a way to get contact info for future orders. Also that the winners were predetermined by chances of getting a contract. If you're entering at a local mom & pop store your chances are probably as good as anyone's though.
Sounds about right. I think SuperPig @Willthiswork got a lucky ticket once at a liquor store. It’s basically a first dibs chance to buy it, if you pass it goes on to the next.