Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I rarely drink Irish whiskey, but that’s all my neighbor drinks. He always has 3 Bushmills in his cabinet:

the standard white label bottle

one called Black Bush, black label

And one with a green label, think it’s a 10 year.

from white label to black to green, your stepping up in their line. Those bottles should all be reasonably priced. Beyond that they start getting expensive.

@conor mcgregor nut hugger

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Like I said, Irish whiskey isn’t really my area of expertise. But, this was the first one that I tried that I was like “holy shit this is good”. If I buy any Irish, it’s usually this one. It’s $60-70 though.
ECBC63D9-28C5-4F8D-BD5C-0DFD7260B63A.jpeg

M

member 3289

Grateful Dude @Grateful Dude rmenergy @rmenergy any recommendations for a smooth, reasonably priced bourbon that isn't overly difficult to find?
I'm not a big drinker but I'd like something I could sip neat. A hint of vanilla is a plus but not 100% necessary.

Can also be Scotch whisky or Irish whiskey if nothing comes to mind for bourbon.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Grateful Dude @Grateful Dude rmenergy @rmenergy any recommendations for a smooth, reasonably priced bourbon that isn't overly difficult to find?
I'm not a big drinker but I'd like something I could sip neat. A hint of vanilla is a plus but not 100% necessary.

Can also be Scotch whisky or Irish whiskey if nothing comes to mind for bourbon.
Buffalo Trace is a solid for the money. Not expensive, tasty, and easy to drink. It’s mass produced and should be available in your area.

I could give some other suggestions if you want, just hard to tell what all you have available at your local store

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Woodford reserve or evan williams single barrel are the softest/sweetest bourbons I'd recommend.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
@conor mcgregor nut hugger
I’ll add that Buffalo Trace is a very common bottle that people new to bourbon seem to like. It’s a good starting point.

it’s the same distillery that makes tons of great stuff like Pappy, Eagle Rare, WL Weller, EH Taylor, Blanton’s, etc. Buffalo Trace is their bourbon that they make tons of though so it is much more available.

it’s basically the starting point of their lineup, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t good because it’s not as expensive. I have fancier bottles like the ones mentioned above in my cabinet, but I almost always have BT on hand as well.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
@conor mcgregor nut hugger if you're not that big on drinking bourbon neat, grab yourself a bottle of bitters, make a simple syrup and make yourself an ol' fashioned. You retain the flavour profile of the whiskey and it's a damn good cocktail.

Angostura bitters are the preferred and most common, but there are thousands of bitters variations and simple cocktails.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
My personal choice out of those would be Buffalo.Elijah Craig, Old Forrester, Knob, and Woodford are also good choices.

the Knob is 100 proof though, so it’d have a little more bite of you aren’t used to drinking neat. 90 proof is usually a comfortable place. The Old Forrester is available in 86 and 100, with that one maybe start with 86.

Basil Hayden is also good, and that one is only 80 proof so it’s easy to drink neat

for $60 you could get two bottles ?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
@conor mcgregor nut hugger if you're not that big on drinking bourbon neat, grab yourself a bottle of bitters, make a simple syrup and make yourself an ol' fashioned. You retain the flavour profile of the whiskey and it's a damn good cocktail.

Angostura bitters are the preferred and most common, but there are thousands of bitters variations and simple cocktails.
Seconded. I rarely drink cocktails, but if I do it’s most likely going to be an old fashioned. Classic and delicious.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021

In late & solid suggestions have already been made.

For easy bourbon/American I usually suggest:
-Michters American
-Woodford Reserve & Double Oaked
-Eagle Rare
-Buffalo Trace

For Scotch, there’s such a wide breadth that it’d be difficult without some type of starting point.

Irish, Greenspot or Redbreast 12 with Greenspot having the edge.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
I saw some bourbons I wanna try. I don’t know what appealed to me but fuck it, I was interested. I didn’t buy them because I don’t want to buy and waste my money because I don’t like it. I bought Crown (don’t judge me. I don’t know better). Tell me anything.
8309498E-3ACC-4945-9E42-CF49CBEAA68C.jpeg
56768739-0A25-4928-8457-64306A52D93E.jpeg

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
What flavor profiles do you enjoy & what price range?
Flavor profiles of whiskey/bourbon I enjoy is lost on me. I have no idea. I can tell you I like strong coffee with vanilla flavoring, and dark teas. I don’t know how much that helps. I’m lost when it comes to this stuff.
And those were around $50. That would be my around my limit.