Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
I’m drinking Brown Sugar Bourbon. Probably not fancy but I had it at dinner and ran to buy some from the liquor store. Mixed with pineapple juice and ginger beer.
A4681FA9-EECB-49F8-9C4C-66161A0FB34D.jpeg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Definitely. Feeling it.
I drank more whiskey than I should have tonight…but we had to test out some of the fireworks to make sure all the stuff for tomorrow works! My whole neighborhood is bumping tonight, one guy has a big sound system going in his yard. Fireworks already going off all over the place.

But I gotta get up in 6 hours to go mountain biking ? I’m going to have to sweat it out for a bit lol

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I tried this bottle of scotch (well, technically it’s from Wales so single malt whiskey) and I really like it so far. This is their “Rich Oak” offering from their higher line. Matured in ex-bourbon barrels, and then the last couple of years it is aged in rejuvenated American oak barrels. It is so damn good. Price point is about $80 so I’m trying not to attack it too hard though ?
Very high score in the Whiskey Bible as well (94), and I have to agree on this one.
04DD5016-0B0B-4095-BDE0-58D4021172A3.jpeg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
rmenergy @rmenergy have you tried any of the Penderyn offerings? ^^^

based alone on the bottle above, I’m a fan. But I definitely want to try some of their other bottles. They have their main line of bottles which I think are in the $40-60 range, and then there is their Gold line (like the bottle above). those start around $75 and go up well beyond that.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
rmenergy @rmenergy have you tried any of the Penderyn offerings? ^^^

based alone on the bottle above, I’m a fan. But I definitely want to try some of their other bottles. They have their main line of bottles which I think are in the $40-60 range, and then there is their Gold line (like the bottle above). those start around $75 and go up well beyond that.
No, can't say that I have. I've been cutting back quite a bit as of late because I'm trying to drop this Covid-35 I'm now carrying around. The bar at the house is due to be re-stocked shortly though (going to have a small get together coming up) so I'll take a look at Total Wine to see if they have it.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
No, can't say that I have. I've been cutting back quite a bit as of late because I'm trying to drop this Covid-35 I'm now carrying around. The bar at the house is due to be re-stocked shortly though (going to have a small get together coming up) so I'll take a look at Total Wine to see if they have it.
Hah at COVID 35, but I say good for you for getting after that.

I would think total wine will have it. Their regular line bottles are in red or green boxes with the Welsh flag dragon on it. The Gold line like above will be in open face packaging with a fancier glass bottle. The Rich Oak is the only one I’ve tried, but I would definitely buy it again. There is also a Sherrywood that is supposed to be really tasty. But I kind of also want to try their base line bottles too.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Hah at COVID 35, but I say good for you for getting after that.

I would think total wine will have it. Their regular line bottles are in red or green boxes with the Welsh flag dragon on it. The Gold line like above will be in open face packaging with a fancier glass bottle. The Rich Oak is the only one I’ve tried, but I would definitely buy it again. There is also a Sherrywood that is supposed to be really tasty. But I kind of also want to try their base line bottles too.
I'll take a look when I get back from vacation in the middle of August(starts 7/29). I'm overscheduled every day until then.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Have a good vacation, buddy. Sounds like you’re earning it!
Thanks mang. Short staffed & an energy crisis in CA coupled with poor reservoir management has already caused issues. When I get back from vacation, I'll be walking into a horrific situation as large generating stations that "saved" the grid last year will no be available this year(due to the poor mgt referenced earlier).

I'll stop there as I don't want to derail the thread further.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Thanks mang. Short staffed & an energy crisis in CA coupled with poor reservoir management has already caused issues. When I get back from vacation, I'll be walking into a horrific situation as large generating stations that "saved" the grid last year will no be available this year(due to the poor mgt referenced earlier).

I'll stop there as I don't want to derail the thread further.
It’s not my work industry, but here in Tx we are also having issues with our grid still. Murmurs of blackouts and shit again through the summer. Which is odd because it hasn’t even been that hot this summer like in past years when the grid was really stressed. Apparently this is when they decided to take a bunch of shit off line for maintenance (even though this is peak season). Plus people are still pissed of about the February shit show, me included (I had no power for almost a week during the freeze).

good luck man! Sounds like you have your hands full. Take full advantage of that vacation ?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I was little overdue to try this one, but this is from one of the newer local distilleries. They’ve only had bourbon out on the shelf for a year or two. I had went to an event at their distillery a while back, but at that time they were only selling their white dog (because the bourbon had just been casked and started aging). I think this one is aged 4 years in the Texas climate.

all in all, it’s not too bad. I’m going to give it a few more tries before I form a solid opinion, but enjoyed drinking it tonight. I was pretty down on Texas whiskey for a while, but they’re finally kicking out some good stuff now in the state. Texas whiskey is coming around.
CDC6315B-35F9-40D0-9CA1-C5CD3B3D7F71.jpeg

Last edited:

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Also lucked out and found a bottle of this. If you like rye whiskey, this is incredible. Haven’t seen this in the shelf locally for about two years. Last bottle they had so I snagged it.E2376991-AECF-4CBC-9E65-1362408F592C.jpeg

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Welp I'm going dry until the end of August. Had my physical last week & my cholesterol was insanely high. So high I think it was a freak reading but am not scheduled to go back until end of next month. Hopefully it's back down to my normal "slightly elevated" levels. It's weird because I don't drink more than a couple nights/week & not all that much when I do. Cutting out alcohol & cream from my coffee & will see what that does.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Welp I'm going dry until the end of August. Had my physical last week & my cholesterol was insanely high. So high I think it was a freak reading but am not scheduled to go back until end of next month. Hopefully it's back down to my normal "slightly elevated" levels. It's weird because I don't drink more than a couple nights/week & not all that much when I do. Cutting out alcohol & cream from my coffee & will see what that does.
Doesn’t sound like you’re a heavy drinker, so hopefully that isn’t the issue. But either way, take care of yourself brother. Hope the next test shows better results, and I wish you the best of health.

other than the test results, are you feeling ok? Or can you tell when cholesterol is high?

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Doesn’t sound like you’re a heavy drinker, so hopefully that isn’t the issue. But either way, take care of yourself brother. Hope the next test shows better results, and I wish you the best of health.

other than the test results, are you feeling ok? Or can you tell when cholesterol is high?
Thanks mang. I feel fine. Other than being in my mid-40's & a 12hr shift worker that's had several sports related injuries over the years. When attempting to swap back to a dayshift schedule from nights my body is under stress for a few days(I was making this exact swap during the annual checkup). Usually shows in elevated blood pressure but this time BP was only slightly higher than normal at 120/78 but cholesterol was stupid high. I did put on weight during the lockdowns as my gyms were closed & only really started back at working out seriously so that's probably got a lot to do with it as well. Well, that & the night before I had a pork chop & a scotch prior to the 14hr fast ;)

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Grateful Dude @Grateful Dude Finally had some time to sit down with the father in law and un cap the old forester. Kids caught a bug so everyone has been sick for over a week now.
This might be the most interesting bourbon I've ever had. Has a taste all of its own which is hard to describe. Kinda like how I enjoy my morning coffee, strong, dark and bittersweet. Damn does it ever pack a punch.
Thanks again, I am very grateful...

Dude!

20210717_195039.jpg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Grateful Dude @Grateful Dude Finally had some time to sit down with the father in law and un cap the old forester. Kids caught a bug so everyone has been sick for over a week now.
This might be the most interesting bourbon I've ever had. Has a taste all of its own which is hard to describe. Kinda like how I enjoy my morning coffee, strong, dark and bittersweet. Damn does it ever pack a punch.
Thanks again, I am very grateful...

Dude!

View attachment 42457
Hope everyone is getting past the sickness, and glad to hear your are getting settled in.

This Old Forester line is interesting. They have 4 or 5 selections that are supposed to be using the same recipes they used before and during the Prohibition, so it's kind of a throwback to how whiskey tasted 100 years ago. I really like the "1910" and "1897" offerings they have. I have found this line are divisive though - some love these bottles, and some don't care for them much. To each their own, but it's always fun to try new whiskies for me :)

This Statesman bottle is probably the most bold of the offerings, and IIRC the keep these barrels in the warmest parts of the rickhouse (which in turn flavors it more boldly, more interaction with the wood can reveal some more flavors/notes).

Cheers buddy!

I'm actually sitting here contemplating going to buy a bottle that is tough to find. I have a line that 3 bottles are available, but this one is $180 a bottle (closer to $400 or $500 at some places or online, but this guy will sell to me for MSRP). Part me of me wants to go grab one so I can finally try it, and the other part is hiding my wallet haha

The whiskey is described as "candy in a bottle", which has me very curious and interested. But god damn....I already spend too much on whiskey without getting into high end bottles.

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Hope everyone is getting past the sickness, and glad to hear your are getting settled in.

This Old Forester line is interesting. They have 4 or 5 selections that are supposed to be using the same recipes they used before and during the Prohibition, so it's kind of a throwback to how whiskey tasted 100 years ago. I really like the "1910" and "1897" offerings they have. I have found this line are divisive though - some love these bottles, and some don't care for them much. To each their own, but it's always fun to try new whiskies for me :)

This Statesman bottle is probably the most bold of the offerings, and IIRC the keep these barrels in the warmest parts of the rickhouse (which in turn flavors it more boldly, more interaction with the wood can reveal some more flavors/notes).

Cheers buddy!

I'm actually sitting here contemplating going to buy a bottle that is tough to find. I have a line that 3 bottles are available, but this one is $180 a bottle (closer to $400 or $500 at some places or online, but this guy will sell to me for MSRP). Part me of me wants to go grab one so I can finally try it, and the other part is hiding my wallet haha

The whiskey is described as "candy in a bottle", which has me very curious and interested. But god damn....I already spend too much on whiskey without getting into high end bottles.
It definitely has a unique flavor. Unlike any other bourbon I've tried, and it's damn good.
I say get the bottle if you can get it at cost. Question is can you hold onto it, and only bring It out on occasion?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I say get the bottle if you can get it at cost.
I like the way you think!

Question is can you hold onto it, and only bring It out on occasion?
I'm not sure.....that is the exact type of plan that I don't always follow through with. But I think could do it if I tried. This would be a nice one to have in the cabinet for when the right people are drinking with me. I tell you what though, my brother would need to stay the fuck away haha, he is notorious for killing my bottles. To him "can I have a drink of that" ends up being more than half the bottle. He's burned me more than once like that on an expensive bottle. He doesn't drink whiskey like a gentleman in a nosing glass, he literally fills a tumbler to the top and to him that is just 1 drink. He's a real doozy, that fucker!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I say get the bottle if you can
Well, I grabbed one. Guy called me and said there was one left, last chance. So I grabbed it.

time will tell if it was a foolish purchase. But I’m genuinely curious to try this one. They only release about 5000 bottles a year nationwide, so generally it is very hard to find. It’s expensive, and most likely over priced for what it is, but since they released this offering in 2013 this is the only time I’ve ever seen it available. And they’re local, so you’d think we’d be able to get it here!

I’ll post some info and reviews later. This has won back to back “American micro distillery whiskey of the year” the past two years in Jim Murray’s whiskey bible. And it is well reviewed pretty much everywhere else too.

shit better be good ?

ShatsBassoon

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Well, I grabbed one. Guy called me and said there was one left, last chance. So I grabbed it.

time will tell if it was a foolish purchase. But I’m genuinely curious to try this one. They only release about 5000 bottles a year nationwide, so generally it is very hard to find. It’s expensive, and most likely over priced for what it is, but since they released this offering in 2013 this is the only time I’ve ever seen it available. And they’re local, so you’d think we’d be able to get it here!

I’ll post some info and reviews later. This has won back to back “American micro distillery whiskey of the year” the past two years in Jim Murray’s whiskey bible. And it is well reviewed pretty much everywhere else too.

shit better be good ?
Awesome! Keep that locked up when your bro is over.
I thought whiskey prices were expensive in canada. I wanna go home lol ☹
Screenshot_20210730-124529_Samsung Internet.jpg