Lifestyle Bourbon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
20211223_113227.jpg

I grabbed a bottle of Buffalo Trace and on the way to pay I spotted a bottle of Willett on the shelf. Grabbed it just because it's Willett. I've never had this one before. 4 Yr Rye. At 110, if it isn't good straight, it should make a solid Old-Fashioned.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
How about a 9 yr Single Barrel of Knob Creek? Cask strength @ 120 proof.

20211227_184546.jpg

Living close to KY has its privileges, and Party Source rarely disappoints.

Last edited:

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
How about an 8 yr Single Barrel of Knob Creek? Cask strength @ 120 proof.

View attachment 56151

Living close to KY has its privileges, and Party Source rarely disappoints.
Is the party source a local liquor store? I see places around here that go pick a barrel, and then there name shows up on the label. Single barrels are sweet, they all have their uniqueness.

and that’s 9 years BTW ?

The standard bottle of Knob is 9 years. They actually just started putting that age statement in the label again, but that’s always how it’s been for Knob. Solid drink, and for the price it is aged much more than many others which typically do 2-4 years.More time in the barrel is winning IMO.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Hauler @Hauler how does it hit at 120 proof?

that’s a bit hotter than I generally go for neat, but sometimes it works. A touch of water or an ice cube?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I pulled this out earlier, but haven’t got into it yet. I lucked into this bottle last year, not easy to find around here and it’s like $300. I got it as a gift from my bro, so fucking A.

IIRC, it’s a blend of 6 and 16-year eyes. I really, really enjoyed it last year when we drank it. But it’s not likely I’ll find it again for some time, so I’ve kind of been hoarding it lol. Maybe a little stool for the holidays…

I generally don’t get too excited for this distillery, but this bottle is a fucking win if you ever see it.
427927F4-A603-47EC-A57C-738952626803.jpeg

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Is the party source a local liquor store? I see places around here that go pick a barrel, and then there name shows up on the label.
Yeah. Local store. HUGE selection.
This is one of their barrels they picked out. They do that quite a bit for random bourbons.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Hauler @Hauler how does it hit at 120 proof?

that’s a bit hotter than I generally go for neat, but sometimes it works. A touch of water or an ice cube?
Haven't opened it yet, but the last Sgl Brl Knob 120 I got was super smooth.
For that one I did (1) large cube. If a bourbon is too hot, I'll add a splash of water.

I'll let you know how this one is.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
SuperPig @Willthiswork
Stopped by one of the small liquor stores yesterday, it’s not well known around here and I have decent luck there from time to time so I drop in occasionally. Anyway, with all the shipping and supply chain shit that’s fucked up, the basic green Weller and Buffalo Trace have been out of stock a lot lately. They had a case of Buffalo handles but were keeping it behind the counter like they do with allocation bottles. And they were asking $70.

WTF, and GTFO of here….Buffalo ain’t a $70 bottle!

what’re the stores like in your area these days?

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
SuperPig @Willthiswork
Stopped by one of the small liquor stores yesterday, it’s not well known around here and I have decent luck there from time to time so I drop in occasionally. Anyway, with all the shipping and supply chain shit that’s fucked up, the basic green Weller and Buffalo Trace have been out of stock a lot lately. They had a case of Buffalo handles but were keeping it behind the counter like they do with allocation bottles. And they were asking $70.

It's been weird. Supply hasn't been bad but nothing interesting is coming through.

The good news is that the pricing is still the same but it's been hard as hell to get anything lately because people are just waiting in lines before the stores open every time the slightly hard to get stuff arrives.

I keep losing in all of the lotteries too which is just disappointing.

But if word is that Blanton's will be at a store there are crazy people waiting 3 hours for the store to open.

Just not worth it.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
It's been weird. Supply hasn't been bad but nothing interesting is coming through.

The good news is that the pricing is still the same but it's been hard as hell to get anything lately because people are just waiting in lines before the stores open every time the slightly hard to get stuff arrives.

But if word is that Blanton's will be at a store there are crazy people waiting 3 hours for the store to open.

Just not worth it.
At least your prices haven’t been jacked with too bad. It’s gotten really out of hand here, and honestly I don’t see that changing even if shit does get back to normal.

on another note, I don’t know if you ever cracked open that EH or not. But I’ve been contemplating getting into mine….love that stuff. But I’ve been hoarding it forever now lol. So dang good though.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I was at a work event and they had a bourbon bar where they were smoking your glass if you wanted to. I've heard of places doing this but I've never tried it so I gave it a go.

I did a Woodford with a maple chip smoke. It was really, really good. I was surprised at how much it changed the taste.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

Just not worth it.
Blanton's is good enough for me to drive 15 minutes to a farther away liquor store to get it if I know it will be there. It's not good enough for me to wait in a 3 hour line to maybe get it

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
SuperPig @Willthiswork

What are Buffalo handles?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I was at a work event and they had a bourbon bar where they were smoking your glass if you wanted to. I've heard of places doing this but I've never tried it so I gave it a go.

I did a Woodford with a maple chip smoke. It was really, really good. I was surprised at how much it changed the taste.
Right on. I’ve never tried that, but I should! One of the whiskey bars here used to do that. But honestly, I’m not even sure if they made it through the pandemic. If I had to guess, I’d say that place may be gone now ?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
The local store usually has Buffalo Trace, but they jack the shelf price up to $40. I'm OK paying that because it saves me about 30 minutes of driving into town where - if they have it - the bottle would probably be around $35.

Then when I go to check out, the Buffalo Trace counts as a "qualifying purchase" so they have bottles of Eagle Rare that I can buy. I'm OK with that practice I guess, but the price tag is $70. LMAO. I like Eagle Rare, but $70?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
The local store usually has Buffalo Trace, but they jack the shelf price up to $40. I'm OK paying that because it saves me about 30 minutes of driving into town where - if they have it - the bottle would probably be around $35.

Then when I go to check out, the Buffalo Trace counts as a "qualifying purchase" so they have bottles of Eagle Rare that I can buy. I'm OK with that practice I guess, but the price tag is $70. LMAO. I like Eagle Rare, but $70?
I really like Eagle, and I have definitely overpaid for it before. But, before people went batshit for bourbon, that was a $28 bottle here. It was just a great 10-year that you got your money’s worth out of every bottle. And I used to be able to find it regularly and drank the shit out of it haha. But now I see it around here sometimes for closer to a hundred. C’mon man…..

there are a couple of places that I occasionally find it and they don’t mark it up too bad…think the last one I got was around $45. I’m reluctantly ok with that price.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
there are a couple of places that I occasionally find it and they don’t mark it up too bad…think the last one I got was around $45. I’m reluctantly ok with that price.
There is a tiny liquor store in a small town about 50 miles into KY that always has it. My buddy has family there and he heads down there about once a month. I usually have him grab me a bottle. They always have it sitting on their shelf for $29.

I always have a rotation of between 2 or 3 bottles of Rare. When I break into the 2nd bottle, I have him grab me a 3rd. Haha. If I'm sitting on 3, I'll grab a bottle for my friends who also like it. You can't find Rare anywhere around here. It gets gobbled up with a quickness.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
There is a tiny liquor store in a small town about 50 miles into KY that always has it. My buddy has family there and he heads down there about once a month. I usually have him grab me a bottle. They always have it sitting on their shelf for $29.

I always have a rotation of between 2 or 3 bottles of Rare. When I break into the 2nd bottle, I have him grab me a 3rd. Haha. If I'm sitting on 3, I'll grab a bottle for my friends who also like it. You can't find Rare anywhere around here. It gets gobbled up with a quickness.
Nice! That’s exactly how it should be. It’s a killer bottle for $30. I’ve found it a couple times when visiting my in-laws and it’s around $30 so I always fly back home with one. Not easy to find here either, and more often than not the price is jacked way up anyway.

I can remember going to a liquor store here (shit, that was probably 12 years ago now) with a buddy. Back when you could easily find all the stuff I have to hunt now. We went in to each get bottles of Balnton’s. I changed my mind and put the Blanton back and grabbed two Eagle Rare bottles. My buddy was surprised that I didn’t want the Blanton’s, but It was about the same price, and I got twice as much juice ?

I miss those days where bourbon wasn’t “cool” and expensive and hard to find.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
My wife took me out to dinner tonight for my birthday, and she took me to a place that has a good whiskey selection. She’s such a good wife?

I had an old fashioned with a barrel strength Russels Reserve that was a barrel pick by this restaurant.

and then I had a few neat sips:
Elijah Craig 18 year
Weller 12
and Whistle Pig 18 year rye.

not a bad day for tastings ?

and she also got me a bottle of this, which is one of the better local distilleries (and I’ve never tried their cask strength)
05C60299-836A-40DA-ADE2-2FD2F9AD413C.jpeg