VID Boy trips in museum and punches hole through million dollar painting

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Boy trips in museum and punches hole through painting | World news | The Guardian

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz_7Q-yxLF4

A 12-year-old Taiwanese boy lived out a slapstick nightmare at the weekend when he tripped at a museum and broke his fall with a painting, smashing a hole in it.

Oops, butter fingers! I live in ultimate fear of ruining a million-pound painting

Exhibition organisers said the painting was a 350-year-old Paolo Porpora oil on canvas work called Flowers, valued at $1.5m.

Footage released by the organisers of the Face of Leonardo: Images of a Genius exhibition in Taipei shows the boy – in shorts, trainers, a blue Puma T-shirt and holding a drink – walk past the still life, catching his foot and stumbling over.

He looks up at the canvas, shown later to have a fist-sized gash at the bottom, and freezes, looking around at other people in the room.

Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Museum staff and well-known restorer Tsai Shun reviewing the damage to the painting in Taipei. Photograph: TST Art of Discovery Co
The organisers will not ask the boy’s family to pay for the restoration costs, according to Focus Taiwan news. It said the exhibition organiser, Sun Chi-hsuan, said the boy was very nervous but should not be blamed and the painting, part of a private collection, was insured.

“The painting’s bottom right is damaged,” Sun later told reporters. “The boy’s hand made contact with the artwork and left a hole the size of a fist.”

Facebook Twitter Pinterest
A close-up view of the puncture in the canvas. Photograph: TST Art of Discovery Co
The exhibition, which also includes portraits of Leonardo, shows 55 paintings in Taiwan “gathered from the finest art collectors in the world”, according to the organisers.

“All 55 paintings in the venue are authentic pieces and they are very rare and precious,” a post on the exhibition’s Facebook page said. “Once these works are damaged, they are permanently damaged.”

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I saw this today and was surprised. Why would they have such a valuable piece so close to potential danger? Also why hasn't the kid mastered walking yet? I don't get how he tripped...

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
I saw this today and was surprised. Why would they have such a valuable piece so close to potential danger? Also why hasn't the kid mastered walking yet? I don't get how he tripped...
be trippy if he spilled his drink all over the painting too like some comedy movie.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
crazy.if this happened here the kids family would get their ass sued off

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Heard this on some podcast and frankly I'm calling bull sheeeeeeit on it. Not open for debate or comment.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Looked like he tripped on purpose.

Kid looks huge for a 12 year old.

12 year olds shouldnt have coffee drinks in their hands at an art exhibit.

Apr 3, 2015
poor kid. I am glad they wont make his family pay for anything, most of the prices for art is insane and unjustified. I could only imagine the fear that kid felt right afterwards.

Apr 3, 2015
I can tell you dont frequent many art museums. there are plenty of works of art of real value within arms reach at museums. MOST people have the respect and courtesy to not do anything to it, but you hear at least once a year about someone trying to steal or touch something and it makes waves.

as for the tripping thing, he is looking left / straight, walking to the right, and his right foot catches the raised platform the art is surrounded by. if you dont get how he tripped, then you or anyone you have ever known has never tripped in front of you on anything or you are blind.