Brandon Halsey releases statement, finally going up to 205

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016

Following his 25-second loss to Alexander Shlemenko in their rematch at M-1 Challenge 79 on June 1, former Bellator middleweight champion Brandon "Bull" Halsey (9-3) has finally come to the conclusion that he can no longer make 185 pounds and is moving up to 205.

Halsey was stripped of his Bellator title in 2015 when he failed to make championship weight for his first title defense. He is now on a three-fight losing streak, the first losing streak of his career.

View: https://twitter.com/BrandBullHalsey/status/873226178768785408

In his statement, released via Twitter and dated June 9, 2017, Halsey said, "My stubbornness and pride got the better of me and against the advice of my coaches, many of my trainers, my mentors and friends I've been trying to stay down at 185 when my body long outgrew the weight class."

Halsey went on to explain that his most recent weight cut caused kidney failure, a blood clot, and low blood pressure. These ailments, along with a broken rib and internal bleeding, were treated in the hospital after his fight with Shlemenko. Halsey's doctors have told him he can no longer safely make 185.

Halsey would like a trilogy with Shlemenko, but stated that a third fight would have to be at 205, or else he would move on to face other competition.

Last edited:

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
That is my own write-up of this situation, but really, my reaction of course was "duh". I feel like this guy wasted his own time and almost killed himself by fighting with all those problems from his cut. I mean, he must have felt like crap in there.

Jehannum

TMMAC's Most Handsome Artist
Jan 26, 2016
lol he basically said Alexander Shlemenko is a coward if he doesn't take the fight at 205