General Brazil Minister of Education accuses public universities of producing drugs

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
brazil is a corrupt 3rd world shithole. it doesnt matter who they elect the people are going to get screwed

M

member 1013

A maduro is actually Spanish for a mature person. Do you mean a mature fellow? If so, I agree, Brazil could use a mature leader to replace childish goofball Bolsonaro.
brazil is crazy land

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
A maduro is actually Spanish for a mature person. Do you mean a mature fellow? If so, I agree, Brazil could use a mature leader to replace childish goofball Bolsonaro.
Do you think someone like Nicolas Maduro is the solution to Brazil's situation?

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
2/27 states? No idea but I'm guessing because the land isn't fertile enough to burn. Overall the fires are up big time.

Why are you picking and choosing states in an effort to add weight to your non-point?

The Brazilian Amazon covers 9 states.
The 3 main states are Amazonas, which had above average fires for the year (Bolsanaro bad guy!), and Para and Mata Grosso which had below average fires (...Bolsanaro... good guy?).
If it was the national president giving the green light to burn and clear the forest, one would think it would be a nation wide problem and those other states would also have above average fires no?

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015

The 3 main states are Amazonas, which had above average fires for the year (Bolsanaro bad guy!), and Para and Mata Grosso which had below average fires (...Bolsanaro... good guy?).
If it was the national president giving the green light to burn and clear the forest, one would think it would be a nation wide problem and those other states would also have above average fires no?
Dont ruin the virtue signalling going on in this thread with facts please

M

member 3289

Not necessarily. It all depends on where he was giving the green light and which areas have the most arable land.

I don't have enough information about Amazonas to tell you which states that would be, but the fact is that fires are up big time overall.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

i don't think anyone believes Jair is an evil super-villian...well, maybe kneeblock @Kneeblock.
are folks disputing that Jair is aggressively pushing to develop in certain areas, or that the development is a major contributor to the fires?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
i don't think anyone believes Jair is an evil super-villian...well, maybe kneeblock @Kneeblock.
are folks disputing that Jair is aggressively pushing to develop in certain areas, or that the development is a major contributor to the fires?
I didn't engage with the Maduro question for the same reason that I don't understand how the fires became the topic of this thread.

OP's article said the Minister of Education says Universities are producing drugs, ostensibly as a further scheme to defund and discredit them because they've been the locus of opposition to his regime. I mentioned two other such schemes that are well documented. I'm not sure how you get to be anything other than a villain when you retaliate against your political opponents by trying to make your whole country dumber with unceasing attacks on educators, students, and universities. That's a less sexy issue maybe than whatever the F is going on in the rain forest, I guess, but on the list of Bolsonaro's awful policies and politics, whatever he's doing in the Amazon is pretty low. Between he and Sergio Moro, it's been open season on political opponents and both have certainly given cover with their words to people who want to do ill to the supposed "enemies of the state."

To answer your other question, I don't think there's ever a need for a strong man anywhere, though Bolsonaro definitely wishes he was one. I think there's a need for the Brazilian people to vote him out and get someone in who's not going to spend their time persecuting enemies or fleecing the public trust.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
brazil needs to find a guy like boris to set them on the right path

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I didn't engage with the Maduro question for the same reason that I don't understand how the fires became the topic of this thread.

OP's article said the Minister of Education says Universities are producing drugs, ostensibly as a further scheme to defund and discredit them because they've been the locus of opposition to his regime. I mentioned two other such schemes that are well documented. I'm not sure how you get to be anything other than a villain when you retaliate against your political opponents by trying to make your whole country dumber with unceasing attacks on educators, students, and universities. That's a less sexy issue maybe than whatever the F is going on in the rain forest, I guess, but on the list of Bolsonaro's awful policies and politics, whatever he's doing in the Amazon is pretty low. Between he and Sergio Moro, it's been open season on political opponents and both have certainly given cover with their words to people who want to do ill to the supposed "enemies of the state."

To answer your other question, I don't think there's ever a need for a strong man anywhere, though Bolsonaro definitely wishes he was one. I think there's a need for the Brazilian people to vote him out and get someone in who's not going to spend their time persecuting enemies or fleecing the public trust.
but with the international debt and the abject poverty stratification of wealth, how does that person even get on the ballot beyond the regional level?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
but with the international debt and the abject poverty stratification of wealth, how does that person even get on the ballot beyond the regional level?
Lula did it once upon a time, so that's ample proof it can be done. It's hard to remember because the PT became such an institutionalized part of Brazilian politics, including the corruption, but once upon a time they were a hardscrabble Grass Roots political movement that gradually made their way to power. Lula famously lost the presidency 3 times before he finally won so to me it proves that a candidate with the right message for the broadest cross section of people who isn't in bed with the oligarchs and goon squads can build a movement that inspires enough people to get them into power. The PT really blew it in so many ways, but so have most of the other parties. Even dealing with everyone's corruption is mostly politicized. Still, if the country doesn't tip over completely back to it's old fascist ways, there's ample room for some new voices to start speaking up. Brazil, like anywhere, doesn't need a savior or a demagogue, it just needs to not have people willing to do scummy things at the people's expense in positions of influence. It also needs more people willing to do their part to make its future better rather than surrendering it to lying scum like Bolsonaro who claims he'll make it all go away. Temer was worthless and paved the path to this time, but so did Dilma, Lula, Moro and the Brazilian media. The younger generation is where most of the hope lies imo, so we'll have to wait and see.