Sci/Tech British Study Shows that North Americans are Smarter than Europeans

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

European red squirrels numbers have dwindled in recent years, thanks to invasive gray squirrels from North America.

Which Are Smarter, Red Squirrels or Gray Squirrels? Science Weighs In

An experiment comparing cousins from across the pond may help explain a British squirrel invasion.

Ever since gray squirrels arrived in the U.K. from North America more than a century ago, numbers of Great Britain’s native red squirrels have begun to dwindle. Now scientists may have a clue as to why: Gray squirrels are better at problem-solving when it’s time for dinner.

The two closely related species share habitat and food sources, which makes them direct competitors. And gray squirrels’ craftiness may be helping them outcompete their smaller, reddish counterparts, researchers report in the journal Animal Behaviour.

To figure out how gray squirrels are outcompeting their British cousins, University of Exeter squirrel behavior expert Pizza Ka Yee Chow studied the twitchy-tailed rodents at both her university campus and on the Isle of Arran, off Scotland’s West Coast. Chow and colleagues tested the squirrels’ problem-solving abilities using two different puzzles, one simple and the other more complex. If the squirrels solved the puzzles, they got a tasty hazelnut.

The easy puzzle simply required the squirrel to open a clear plastic flap to get the food. The difficult puzzle had several more steps, including operating a lever, before the squirrel got its treat.

Both species did equally well at the simple puzzle, although they used different strategies. Gray squirrels tackled the puzzle with short, repeated attempts, often changing up their tactics when they tried again. The red squirrels made fewer attempts but spent more time with the puzzle.

Invasive North American gray squirrels do better at overcoming obstacles to get food, according to new research.
PHOTOGRAPH BY BRIAN GORDON GREEN, NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CREATIVE

The difference emerged with the more challenging puzzle. Although 91 percent of the gray squirrels solved it, only 68 percent of the red squirrels did. Chow and her colleagues chalked the difference up to the gray squirrel’s ability to try new strategies to tackle the challenging task.

Which Are Smarter, Red or Gray Squirrels? Science Weighs In

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
And he says he doesn’t read anything longer than 2 paragraphs but posts something longer than 2 paragraphs......is he going to read past his own 2 paragraphs?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
seen a squirrel rip head off of a crow before...moslty bit the neck till head was barely on

was a dispute over food

M

member 3289

And he says he doesn’t read anything longer than 2 paragraphs but posts something longer than 2 paragraphs......is he going to read past his own 2 paragraphs?
I have read this article in its entirety from at least four different sources and am currently trying to get a free copy of the complete university study, which is multiple pages long.

M

member 3289

cute lil fuker
Most definitely. Though I'm partial to grays bc they're native where I live, you can't help but feel bad for the reds in Britain/Ireland and northern Italy:

(Piedmont, northern Italy)

Yes, gray squirrels are bigger, stronger, smarter, and more disease-resitant than red squirrels, but it was humans who introduced grays to Britain and Ireland in the 19th century and then to Italy in the mid-20th century.

Just another 100% preventable ecological disaster caused by humans.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Most definitely. Though I'm partial to grays bc they're native where I live, you can't help but feel bad for the reds in Britain/Ireland and northern Italy:

(Piedmont, northern Italy)

Yes, gray squirrels are bigger, stronger, smarter, and more disease-resitant than red squirrels, but it was humans who introduced grays to Britain and Ireland in the 19th century and then to Italy in the mid-20th century.

Just another 100% preventable ecological disaster caused by humans.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
The squirrels in DC are on steroids. One pretty much tried to wrestle me for an empty Danish pastry wrapper as I was putting it back in my bag. If he'd only asked he could have had some of it before I'd finished.

M

member 3289

The squirrels in DC are on steroids. One pretty much tried to wrestle me for an empty Danish pastry wrapper as I was putting it back in my bag. If he'd only asked he could have had some of it before I'd finished.
They can smell weakness.

Coast

Land of the Prince Bishops
Oct 18, 2017
I can't remember the last time I saw red squirrel. You see plenty of greys though.