Bubba Jenkins' story of a fallout with Bellator

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Over the past three years, messages had trickled to Jenkins that Coker’s team didn’t like his wrestling-based style. Under the new management, which included matchmaker Rich Chou and Mike Kogan, he said, it seemed like he was always struggling to get someone on the phone.

Bellator told him to call out opponents and talk more smack when he got matched up. So he went after the now-deceased Jordan Parsons online, pushing aside his discomfort with the approach. He volunteered to take short-notice fights, once offering to take on now-former champ Pat Curran for the title on five days’ notice.

Nothing seemed to give him traction.

“I was doing those things, and I was started to feel like I was not only losing myself in the transformation of being entertaining for them, but as I was doing these things, I didn’t see that I was getting anywhere with them,” Jenkins told MMAjunkie one week prior to his release.

In an interview with MMAjunkie after Jenkins’ release, Coker denied the promotion acted improperly during the fighter’s tenure. He said the decision to release the fighter was based on his performance in the cage and not on any personal dislike.

“We gave him a lot of opportunities, and this sport is unforgiving sometimes,” he said. “We just felt there’s only so many TV spots available, and we’re going to basically move on.”

Coker indicated the promotion tried to accommodate Jenkins when he said he was unhappy fighting for Bellator. He became defensive, however, when told of the fighter’s claim that his team didn’t pick up the phone.

“Bubba Jenkins has never called me once,” Coker said. “Not once. Rich would be the guy he would talk to, but some fighters, if they’re not happy, they’ll come and find me. Believe me. Yet I’ve never talked to him one time about this whole situation.”

From hot prospect to theft accusations, Bubba Jenkins' story of a fallout with Bellator

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
Never heard of this guy.. We need to have some standard.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
I think this was a mistake on Bellator's part, but I also thought they should have shelled out to get Aljamain Sterling. And that would have been a mistake, so what do I know. If losing Jenkins means picking up guys like Leandro Higo, Ryan Bader, or Lorenz Larkin, then so be it.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Who is he? maybe in a few years when he becomes a name I'll read the article, until then nah I'll pass

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
Never heard of this guy.. We need to have some standard.
You not knowing who he is doesn't make him any less of a future star. It just makes you look like a casual MMA fan who only watches when the 1 mma star he follows is about to step in and get lit up like a christmas tree.....

Last edited:

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
You not knowing who he is dorsntmake him any less of a future star. It just makes you look like a casual MMA fan who only watches when the 1 mma star he follows is about to step in and get lit up like a christmas tree.....
Sorry , I don't know about lesser guys , or ones in bellator except Fedor etc.

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
UFC fan

MMA fan

Which one are you?

o_O

Can't you be an mma fan that only watches UFC?

Like football (soccer) fans might only watch the English premier league, cuz it's arguably the best league (well maybe not the best the last few years but the point remains)

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Can't you be an mma fan that only watches UFC?

Like football (soccer) fans might only watch the English premier league, cuz it's arguably the best league (well maybe not the best the last few years but the point remains)
That qualifies as a UFC fan. MMA fans watch and appreciate all of the promotions (in my humble opinion, of course). But WTF do I know!?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I think this was a mistake on Bellator's part, but I also thought they should have shelled out to get Aljamain Sterling. And that would have been a mistake, so what do I know. If losing Jenkins means picking up guys like Leandro Higo, Ryan Bader, or Lorenz Larkin, then so be it.
I'll try to reach out to Bubba and see if he'll stop in and give us some added perspective. Sucks it went down like this.

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
That qualifies as a UFC fan. MMA fans watch and appreciate all of the promotions (in my humble opinion, of course). But WTF do I know!?
I mean I totally get what you're saying lol but The UFC is a mma promotion....

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
One promotion lol. So if you only watch them, that would mean you're a UFC fan no?
Try living in the UK and watching other promotions easily. Hard life. Hard fucking life. I gotta Google stuff and jump through flaming hoops. Nightmare

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
One promotion lol. So if you only watch them, that would mean you're a UFC fan no?
Yeah but you like the sport. You're both..

Like if I only watch EPL it doesn't make me an epl fan I'm a soccer fan

It' not like I'm watching cuz I don't like mma it's because arguably the best fighters fighf in it and that's where the best mma is at

So maybe that makes me more of an mma fan if I only wanna watch the best instead of watching Tito Ortiz vs chael sonnen (lol)

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Try living in the UK and watching other promotions easily. Hard life. Hard fucking life. I gotta Google stuff and jump through flaming hoops. Nightmare
That's a good point that we over here tend to not think about because we have such easy access. Very good point.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
That's a good point that we over here tend to not think about because we have such easy access. Very good point.
Plus the ppv model isn't used here, very very very limited. So paying per event doesn't fit my financial model if I already pay a fortune for the TV I already have.

Strange disconnect in media considering similarities in other areas