General Bulk Electric System Dispatcher Here, AMA

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Were there any lessons to learn from that fiasco?
NERC hasn't released their final report so I can only give my opinion from what I've been informed of. They will be able to pull data from every point in the system & analyze it so very well may come to a different, and more accurate, conclusion.

My opinion, take it for what you will:

ERCOT wasn't using an EIM(energy imbalance market). This market, while far from perfect, allows power plants to bid in capacity even when they aren't online. There will be different awards for quickness of availability(15min start, 30min, 1hr, 8hr, 24hr, 48hr etc...). These reserves can then be entered into a program called State Estimator. This program runs continuously & a "study" is run AT LEAST every 30min with actual studies being run every few minutes. During times of trouble, SE can then allow for the dispatching of currently offline generators to pickup lost generation in that region. Downfall is higher costs to the end user.

Again going back to available "backup" generation. Every MW of renewable energy needs to be backed up with either spinning reserve (online reserve capacity or quickstart generators that can be online w/in 15min) and to a lesser extent, standby generators due to their lack of reliability, lack of spinning mass to arrest frequency decline & lack of reactive or MVAR support for voltage control. Either pull some renewables & lower costs or add more spinning reserve/standby generation and increase costs.

Diversify fuel sources. We saw what happened when the natural gas supply fell short. I'm not sure about hydro in TX but if there isn't much coal, biomass, geothermal, solar thermal, fuel oil or other sources available they need to make their main fuel source as reliable as possible. Outside of the low temps causing low pipeline pressures, their gas supply seems good. If most impacted pipelines are above ground installations, heat tracing should be able to be accomplished in just a few years.

Once synchro phasor technologies become more available, power transfer trouble will be able to be predicted much earlier. This wouldn't completely eliminate outages but rather further limit large scale issues by providing more time to react. In all I believe the ERCOT operators on shift did a great job for the cards they were dealt. My largest storm took 187,000 customers(multiply by 2.5 & that's a better representation of people) so I understand the stress. That was just regulated to my desk & not other operators in neighboring areas.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
And BTW, I'm trying to be as general as possible here. I got bitched at over on the other forum for some of my responses being too technical & people not being able to understand them. If you want more in depth responses, just ask & I can go more in depth into specifics that I'm familiar with.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
And BTW, I'm trying to be as general as possible here. I got bitched at over on the other forum for some of my responses being too technical & people not being able to understand them. If you want more in depth responses, just ask & I can go more in depth into specifics that I'm familiar with.
Getting down to the nuts and bolts of it is always interesting to me, even if I only understand a portion of it.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Getting down to the nuts and bolts of it is always interesting to me, even if I only understand a portion of it.
What would you like to explore? Generator theory, transmission lines, what each job entails? If you have a question just ask. My shift is over in a few hours so my ability to respond will be limited after that.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
What would you like to explore? Generator theory, transmission lines, what each job entails? If you have a question just ask. My shift is over in a few hours so my ability to respond will be limited after that.
Generator theory sounds interesting.

M

member 3289

Is a break away from fossil fuels for the generation of home energy possible in the foreseeable future?

M

member 3289

Texas, as a state is 3 separate electrical connections. 85% is operated by ERCOT while part of western TX is in WECC & part of the panhandle & eastern is in the Eastern Interconnection. ERCOT is only connected via HVDC interties(like all 3 major Interconnections in N. America). You good with only 85% of your state leaving? If so, the rest would be a political thread.
PicsArt_02-18-05.21.31.jpg

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Generator theory sounds interesting.
In basic terms:

A generator will use energy from the prime mover to turn the rotor inside the stator. DC current is used to excite the rotor creating a magnetic field. As the rotor spins inside the stator, a voltage is induced in the armature windings of the stator via electromagnetic induction. Voltage is controlled by increasing or decreasing the amount of DC current through the rotor. The stators output is in 3phase AC as the magnetic field changes in relation to the rotors position to the stator windings every 360 degrees. One rotation is one cycle. Rotor speed will determine the number of poles. 2 poles is 3600rpm, 4 poles is 1800rpm, etc...

We've touched on a couple of the major components, rotor, stator & exciter. We can go more in depth on each or do a more broad discussion covering more components & control systems. I'll answer another question & return to this.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Is a break away from fossil fuels for the generation of home energy possible in the foreseeable future?
Are you asking about micro grids or for the conversion of our current grid to be able to support no fossil fuel generation?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
In basic terms:

A generator will use energy from the prime mover to turn the rotor inside the stator. DC current is used to excite the rotor creating a magnetic field. As the rotor spins inside the stator, a voltage is induced in the armature windings of the stator via electromagnetic induction. Voltage is controlled by increasing or decreasing the amount of DC current through the rotor. The stators output is in 3phase AC as the magnetic field changes in relation to the rotors position to the stator windings every 360 degrees. One rotation is one cycle. Rotor speed will determine the number of poles. 2 poles is 3600rpm, 4 poles is 1800rpm, etc...

We've touched on a couple of the major components, rotor, stator & exciter. We can go more in depth on each or do a more broad discussion covering more components & control systems. I'll answer another question & return to this.
OK, I'll probably have to do some googling tomorrow morning and talk to my personal engineer before I understand what you are talking about. Interesting stuff for sure.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
OK, I'll probably have to do some googling tomorrow morning and talk to my personal engineer before I understand what you are talking about. Interesting stuff for sure.
Look up the EPRI Power System Tutorial. It's loaded with information. Also a quick search should find a generator theory pdf somewhere. Most all generator training is taught in the same way & the language is all very similar(industry standard).

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Look up the EPRI Power System Tutorial. It's loaded with information. Also a quick search should find a generator theory pdf somewhere. Most all generator training is taught in the same way & the language is all very similar(industry standard).
Tread carefully or you may become my personal engineer. It's an unpaid position.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Gun to your head, which grid area would rather live in the most?
any answer other than Texas is incorrect
That's a tough one. Florida is known to have the "gold standard" of electric grids & from my understanding, is very easy for an operator to operate, they also pay very well.

Texas is solid but the pay sucks (interviewed there years ago).

I'm in WECC. Long transmission lines & bad politics.

Eastern is more, short lines but worse politics.

I'm thinking the Azores. Great expat opportunities & can be apart of their new expanding infrastructure ;)

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
That's a tough one. Florida is known to have the "gold standard" of electric grids & from my understanding, is very easy for an operator to operate, they also pay very well.

Texas is solid but the pay sucks (interviewed there years ago).

I'm in WECC. Long transmission lines & bad politics.

Eastern is more, short lines but worse politics.

I'm thinking the Azores. Great expat opportunities & can be apart of their new expanding infrastructure ;)
Fucking FLORIDA is the best?? They aren’t the best at anything.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Conversion of our current grid
This is my personal opinion from experience in a heavily "green" area.

I believe the way they are currently implemented is not sustainable & more of a "pie in the sky" type situation.

I can go into a very lengthy discussion as to why but will give a shorter assessment/overview here.

Current renewable technologies cannot provide a reliable source of energy 24hrs a day. Even when they are online they aren't enforced to provide reactive (MVAR) support to the grid which is what maintains voltage. During system disturbances, turbines provide rotating mass that helps arrest frequency decline before the governors droop control reacts to increase output proportional to frequency loss. Renewables don't provide this either(many western grids battle voltage issues due to renewables). Many turbines are operated in what's called AGC(automatic generation control). This allows the BA to raise & lower generator output remotely & automatically to balance the gen/load or frequency of the system. To my knowledge, only geothermal, biomass & solar thermal can be operated in this capacity(all turbines).

IMO, a better use of renewable resources would be solar thermal supplementary steam injection into the feedwater heater/condensate cycle of a steam turbine power plant. This would allow a large steam generator to cut out fires in the boiler to produce the same amount of steam, hence lowering emissions, conserving fuel & increasing efficiency. We would also be able to take advantage of the rotating mass of these generators & their, vastly superior, reactive capabilities while developing actual technologies to fully replace them.

Another option, IMO, is to convert large portions of the transmission grid to HVDC. DC doesn't have to worry about MVAR or frequency, just thermal limits. We would lose much of our ability for induction(transformers) as the switching stations required are vastly expensive but they can also create(boost/buck) MVAR. This should make it easier to force these renewables into the market like is happening now.

If we keep doing what we are doing though, you'll start to see mandates like smart thermostats, smart washer/dryer & fridge. When these happen, grid operators will have control of your homes setpoints. When an area becomes short on reactive power, we will raise your thermostat & fridge setpoints & delay your wash/dry cycles. That is what the current trend is towards.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Fucking FLORIDA is the best?? They aren’t the best at anything.
They've had their system wiped out so many times that they've actually rebuilt from the ground up. Everything is a breaker & a half setup & point to point with only 3 T-taps in the state. If a line is lost, they haven't actually lost anything as there's so much redundancy built in.