General Bulk Electric System Dispatcher Here, AMA

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 3289

Fucking FLORIDA is the best?? They aren’t the best at anything.
We're the best at everything. Miami-Dade certified is considered the gold standard for mold in construction, ask @Lars.

We're literally carrying the rest of you fucks on our sunburnt backs.

M

member 3289

They've had their system wiped out so many times that they've actually rebuilt from the ground up. Everything is a breaker & a half setup & point to point with only 3 T-taps in the state. If a line is lost, they haven't actually lost anything as there's so much redundancy built in.
The push now is to put all the lines underground, as that drastically reduces the risk of power loss during a hurricane.

But it's getting better even without that. A lot of preventative work like cutting down or trimming large trees that are too close to power lines. Hurricane Wilma in 2005 knocked out power for over 2 weeks at my house. Hurricane Irma in 2017 was only 3 days. Granted the impact was also less, but I don't see us returning to the devastation of a Hurricane Wilma unless we get a direct hit by a cat 5. Then we're fucked no matter what.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
The push now is to put all the lines underground, as that drastically reduces the risk of power loss during a hurricane.

But it's getting better even without that. A lot of preventative work like cutting down or trimming large trees that are too close to power lines. Hurricane Wilma in 2005 knocked out power for over 2 weeks at my house. Hurricane Irma in 2017 was only 3 days. Granted the impact was also less, but I don't see us returning to the devastation of a Hurricane Wilma unless we get a direct hit by a cat 5. Then we're fucked no matter what.
watch this and chill the fuck out you plastic sweaty

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qoymGCDYzU

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021

Many of your outages are on the distribution system & not the transmission system. Distribution is still catching up in technology.

People like the aesthetics of underground cables but they don't transfer power nearly as well as overhead, act as giant capacitors raising voltage & will take forever to restore after a fault. In practice, cables are a nightmare.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Many of your outages are on the distribution system & not the transmission system. Distribution is still catching up in technology.

People like the aesthetics of underground cables but they don't transfer power nearly as well as overhead, act as giant capacitors raising voltage & will take forever to restore after a fault. In practice, cables are a nightmare.
BOOM

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019

Ive seen Jaws 2 and can attest to this.

Sure it can stop a shark attack but you wipe out power on the western seaboard doing so.

imagine those freezers of rotting food.

I did.

BJTT_Kiwi

My member is more well known than yours
Jun 25, 2015
What is your take on Elon Musk building that bloody great big battery for South Australia?

*edit - this thing

Are those things “the future” or will it be some other form of energy production?

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
What is your take on Elon Musk building that bloody great big battery for South Australia?

Are those things “the future” or will it be some other form of energy production?
Batteries are the big talk at this point in time.
IMO:
Batteries are allowed to degrade up to 7% a year & take one hell of a mining operation to produce(not really "green").
PV panels have 10-20yr lifespans(also not "green").
Frame series combustion turbines have 20-40yr lifespans.
Steam Turbines have lifespans >50yrs, same with hydro.

We're going down a path to very expensive power that will need to be replaced far more often than proven designs & we're doing it before actually vetting these technologies. IMO there's better "stopgaps" to use in the interim(like the solar thermal steam injection I mentioned earlier in the thread).

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
What would you do to fix our clearly superior system in Texas so we can finally break away from Murica and become our own country?
You're going to have to get rid of all the pussies. Based on what happened in February it's not looking good.

BJTT_Kiwi

My member is more well known than yours
Jun 25, 2015
Batteries are the big talk at this point in time.
IMO:
Batteries are allowed to degrade up to 7% a year & take one hell of a mining operation to produce(not really "green").
PV panels have 10-20yr lifespans(also not "green").
Frame series combustion turbines have 20-40yr lifespans.
Steam Turbines have lifespans >50yrs, same with hydro.

We're going down a path to very expensive power that will need to be replaced far more often than proven designs & we're doing it before actually vetting these technologies. IMO there's better "stopgaps" to use in the interim(like the solar thermal steam injection I mentioned earlier in the thread).
Awesome, thanks for the insight.

Knowing SFA about your industry, I was expecting something like “hydrogen” or the like as your response - based solely on where the automotive industry seems to be heading.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Awesome, thanks for the insight.

Knowing SFA about your industry, I was expecting something like “hydrogen” or the like as your response - based solely on where the automotive industry seems to be heading.
There's a lot of $$$$ being thrown at "green" technology right now. A huge problem is that the people who represent the government(at least at the state level) aren't the most, lets say experienced, in the industry & have already bought into the fallacy before they've even started. Those positions also don't compensate well enough for those of us in the industry to jump ship & actually work with these companies to vet them for approval.

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
OK. Logging off. My shift relief just came in so I'm going to go have an Easter dinner with my family.

M

member 3289

Fucking FLORIDA is the best?? They aren’t the best at anything.
I'm still very triggered that a Texan of all people would say this. Fucking Texas, the state that boasts often and loudly of its inconsequential 12 and a half minutes as an independent state but then cries to DC for help when shit hits the fan just like every other state.

Fuck Texas.

PicsArt_02-19-02.35.07.jpg

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I'm still very triggered that a Texan of all people would say this. Fucking Texas, the state that boasts often and loudly of its inconsequential 12 and a half minutes as an independent state but then cries to DC for help when shit hits the fan just like every other state.

Fuck Texas.

View attachment 32326
That ice thing was the worst event in the history of humanity. Only Texas could have taken it on and survived.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
OK, I'll probably have to do some googling tomorrow morning and talk to my personal engineer before I understand what you are talking about. Interesting stuff for sure.
I hope you don't mean me

rmenergy

Posting Machine
Mar 27, 2021
Had a slow 5min so decided to poke in. Was assigned an 18hr shift tomorrow (0600-2400) then a night shift coverage Thursday night/Friday morning. Should be available for a few more questions tomorrow evening & the following evening/night.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Had a slow 5min so decided to poke in. Was assigned an 18hr shift tomorrow (0600-2400) then a night shift coverage Thursday night/Friday morning. Should be available for a few more questions tomorrow evening & the following evening/night.
Are you ashamed of these fucks in this thread and the quality of their questions (except for me)?

M

member 1013

We're the best at everything. Miami-Dade certified is considered the gold standard for mold in construction, ask @Lars.

We're literally carrying the rest of you fucks on our sunburnt backs.
I have never heard of Miami-Dade county OR construction