General CA bans gasoline-powered vehicles

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
New executive order.

California will ban the sale of all new gasoline-powered vehicles by 2035.

Assuming it isn't under water by then due to the melting iceburgs, this is huge news.

I'm sure all the gas stations throughout the state are loving this development.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
Riots in the cities
Arson everywhere
Companies running to states that are more tax-friendly

But....

Let's ban gas powered engines because...DERP.
Don't forget the legions of street shitting homeless that we keep hearing about.

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Riots in the cities
Arson everywhere
Companies running to states that are more tax-friendly

But....

Let's ban gas powered engines because...DERP.
They’re not banning gas powered engines. They’re banning the sale of NEW gasoline powered vehicles after 2035. That doesn’t mean that your gas powered vehicle will be taken away from you. Why is that a bad thing?

RussfromNH

Live Free or Die
Dec 12, 2018
I hope Electric Vehicles technology speeds up before 2035

the Range of electric only vehicles suck/Shit resale value/Charging time takes forever /Electric cars are much more expensive /Resale or Cost of battery replacement will be outrageous/Lack of charging stations/Lack of performance

Electric cars are aimed at people who live in cities -- their short range and limited exhaust emissions make them ideal for city people. Sadly, most people who live in cities can't actually use an EV because only a few have a garage in which to charge the car.

So you've bought your electric car, you've had it five years and you're bored with it. It's a simple case of selling it on or trading up, right? Wrong. EV batteries slowly lose their ability to store energy over time. Buyers in the second-hand market will be aware of this and may balk at having to pay through the nose for an EV that's out of warranty and whose battery has lost nearly a third of its storage capacity.
The obvious solution in this case is for owners (or buyers) to replace the battery before a change of ownership, but doing so is hugely expensive. It's estimated that the battery in the Nissan Leaf costs $18,000 . We can't imagine many people will want to spend that sort of cash on a five- or ten-year-old car. The price of a replacement battery will fall over time, but even if it's halved in the next five years, you're still looking at a 5,500 bill plus labour charges.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I am actually more concerned with the other constitutional rights that are being violated in CA regarding firearms,knives and other stupid bureaucracy plus taxes.

I think our refineries and that entire oil industry im CA is powerful enought that they will delay or some how stopped this order for decades.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Riots in the cities
Arson everywhere
that is happening in other states too possibly even worse in minneapolis and portland. L.A county is actually very peaceful right now compared to those places

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
that is happening in other states too possibly even worse in minneapolis and portland. L.A county is actually very peaceful right now compared to those places
Portland is fine. Except a small area of downtown and even then it’s really not bad. Source: I live in Portland. Although I don’t like what’s happening with the protests/rioting, you sound like your ignorantly eating the bull shit being fed to you by the media.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
They’re not banning gas powered engines. They’re banning the sale of NEW gasoline powered vehicles after 2035. That doesn’t mean that your gas powered vehicle will be taken away from you. Why is that a bad thing?
I said new purchases.

I don't know that it's a bad thing, aside from not knowing if the technology will be able to 100% replace gas engines.

I just think there's other shit to worry about. It's virtue signalling the tree huggers and global warming climate change honks.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
We can't imagine many people will want to spend that sort of cash on a five- or ten-year-old car. The price of a replacement battery will fall over time, but even if it's halved in the next five years, you're still looking at a 5,500 bill plus labour charges.
I'm not so certain the prices will drop. Those batteries are made from foreign sourced conflict minerals. I doubt that sourcing those materials a million fold is going to drive down the price. That being said even if it does I'm not sure where people plan to put all these used batteries. I love the idea of the electric vehicle, and they're a lot of fun, but I think people might be getting a little carried away with their real world feasibility.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
Well, we have nothing that resembles a viable alternative. That strikes me as problematic.
You’re kidding right? Battery technology gets better every single year. How will it not be a viable alternative in 15 years? Do you not think innovations will happen in that time?

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm not so certain the prices will drop. Those batteries are made from foreign sourced conflict minerals. I doubt that sourcing those materials a million fold is going to drive down the price. That being said even if it does I'm not sure where people plan to put all these used batteries. I love the idea of the electric vehicle, and they're a lot of fun, but I think people might be getting a little carried away with their real world feasibility.
You clearly didn't watch tesla battery day.....these problems are about to be solved

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
In California we’re asked to turn of our AC so we don’t blow up the grid. Now I’m to believe he’s gonna add enough power infrastructure to charge 10S of millions of electric cars.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
You’re kidding right? Battery technology gets better every single year. How will it not be a viable alternative in 15 years? Do you not think innovations will happen in that time?
Battery technology doesn't get better every single year, and the cost of batteries is primarily materials. If you think that battery materials are somehow going to become less expensive by upping the demands millions of times from what it is not I really don't know what to tell you.

TheFifthScallop

Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
In California we’re asked to turn of our AC so we don’t blow up the grid. Now I’m to believe he’s gonna add enough power infrastructure to charge 10S of millions of electric cars.
So everyone charges their cars at the exact same time? Interesting.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Battery technology doesn't get better every single year, and the cost of batteries is primarily materials. If you think that battery materials are somehow going to become less expensive by upping the demands millions of times from what it is not I really don't know what to tell you.
You really should watch tesla battery day.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
You clearly didn't watch tesla battery day.....these problems are about to be solved
That's awesome that he wants to get rid of cobalt. Now he just needs to figure out how to do it and then how to get rid of everything else they make batteries out of.