Cain Velasquez stunned by Ben Rothwell's PED implications: 'I'm never known for physique'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

LOS ANGELES -- Ben Rothwell implied Monday on The MMA Hour that Cain Velasquez was using performance-enhancing drugs. When informed of Rothwell's remarks later Monday afternoon, the UFC heavyweight champion chuckled.

"That I am?" Velasquez said at a media lunch to promote UFC 188 on Saturday in Mexico City. "That's a big compliment for me, because I'm never known for physique. For someone to point that out, I'm kind of flattered."

Velasquez (13-1) said he was surprised by Rothwell's comments to Ariel Helwani and that perhaps Rothwell was just trying to draw a headline.

"Did you watch his after-fight speech?" Velasquez said with a laugh. "Maybe it's coming from that, I don't know."

Rothwell cut a pro-wrestling style promo after his submission win over Matt Mitrioneat UFC Fight Night: Boetsch vs. Henderson on Saturday night in New Orleans. He finished off what seemed like a scripted speech with a maniacal laugh.

The whole thing was quite funny, but Rothwell seemed to be very serious when heessentially accused Velasquez of taking illegal substances.

"Let's see what happens after July 1, when the advance testing starts kicking in," said Rothwell, an admitted former testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) user. "Let's see if [Velasquez is] still fighting the same way he has. I doubt it. I'm not implying anything, what I'm just saying, I don't believe every division is going to look the same after July 1. If anyone takes offense to that, maybe they ought to look at themselves and look at their problems."

Velasquez, who will attempt to unify the heavyweight belt against Fabricio Werdum on Saturday, felt like Rothwell's implications came out of nowhere. The former Arizona State wrestling All-American thought it was odd that Rothwell would make those statements.

"Yeah, definitely it is," Velasquez said. "Not being a guy who's known for his physique, known for not being on anything. I've been tested before numerous times, before and after all my fights the day of. Again, watch his after-fight speech and you can find out where he's coming from."

Of course, not all drug users have bulging muscles and ripped abs. Velasquez, though, denies taking PEDs.

Full Story: Cain Velasquez stunned by Ben Rothwell's PED implications: 'I'm never known for physique' - MMA Fighting

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
One thing Rothwell isn't wrong about, is that it will be interesting to see whose performances, and cardio, drop off after July 1st.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
One thing Rothwell isn't wrong about, is that it will be interesting to see whose performances, and cardio, drop off after July 1st.
Definitely. Wonder how effective he would be if he couldn't hold the amazing pace he is known for.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Definitely. Wonder how effective he would be if he couldn't hold the amazing pace he is known for.
Well we know he doesn't really have that granite chin. Junior could pick him off anytime, Kongo dropped him and I'm not sure if anyone else has.

BryceRSM

Feb 16, 2015
Cain? Maybe EPO becuase of the cardio but doesn't seem like a roid guy to me.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Cain? Maybe EPO becuase of the cardio but doesn't seem like a roid guy to me.
I dont think so either, but EPO wouldn't surprise me to be honest. Maybe he's just a freak of nature, but for a 240 pound, sorta pudgy man, to be able to to keep the pace he does is pretty astounding.

P

Punch

I dont think so either, but EPO wouldn't surprise me to be honest. Maybe he's just a freak of nature, but for a 240 pound, sorta pudgy man, to be able to to keep the pace he does is pretty astounding.
One of the fastest distance runners i ever met was a short pudgy Hispanic man. :)

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Rothwell seems well into thinking saying and doing zany shit is what is going to get him UFC respect.

Meanwhile as HW pretty much gets minimal play it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
"That's a big compliment for me, because I'm never known for physique. For someone to point that out, I'm kind of flattered."

please notice that this is the pride version of barnett.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Rothwell is just trying to keep his name in the news. He did beat Mitrione but it isnt like thats a shocker nor an impressive feat. Rothwell has watched Conor replays to much and thinks it will leap frog him over the rest to #1, Conor knew how to stroke eggs balls, maybe rothwell should learn that instead of saying dumb shit.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
He did beat Mitrione but it isnt like thats a shocker nor an impressive feat.
At least one person (I think he runs this website) feels this is a shocker and an impressive feat.......................

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Cain isn't known (really) for his muscle mass, physical strength or recovery. Steroid use is possible but his performance is also achievable without them.

Do ACs test for EPO? It requires a blood test and I was only ever urine tested when I fought in the States.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Cain isn't known (really) for his muscle mass, physical strength or recovery. Steroid use is possible but his performance is also achievable without them.

Do ACs test for EPO? It requires a blood test and I was only ever urine tested when I fought in the States.
Didn't that Dagestani guy get caught for epo?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Depending on the AC, they do blood & urine tests (NSAC and CSAC for example). Moving to the USADA next month, I would assume every test will consist of bloodwork.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Depending on the AC, they do blood & urine tests (NSAC and CSAC for example). Moving to the USADA next month, I would assume every test will consist of bloodwork.
Ok. Then testing will probably cover EPO and hGH as well. I have a friend who is president for an anti doping agency, I'll speak to him about it

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Ok. Then testing will probably cover EPO and hGH as well. I have a friend who is president for an anti doping agency, I'll speak to him about it
That would be awesome Leigh. I think there is a "checklist" of substances they are testing for and EPO & HGH are on them. Example: Sonnen was busted for both.