California study suggests half of UFC fighters cut over 10% of body weight

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The California State Athletic Commission is voting on a 10 point plan to overhaul weight cutting in MMA. The UFC came out in support of the changes last week, which seem to be intelligent, reasonable changes that attempt to tackle an extremely difficult problem.

Back in March 2017, the California State Athletic Commission released sample results from a weight-cutting study they performed, comprised of 82 fighters. CSAC executive officer Andy Foster was kind enough to supply me with a larger data set, roughly twice the size of the previously released information, and I analyzed the data in detail to see…

California study suggests half of UFC fighters cut over 10% of body weight

Last edited:

mmadotcomisufcdotcom

Oct 26, 2015
It has always been the biggest weight cutting championship. There are times the champ.in each weight class is the fighter who can cut the most weight snd maintain the most althleticism and skill set. Both are often affected by cutting 10%+ of a persons body weight. It is part of what makes them a champion. It is also a legitiamte part of the champions advantage. It is no coincidence champs are often talking about "superfights" a weight class above where they hold a belt.

A. Silva
J. Hendricks
GSP
MM
AJ
Even Rousey is known to go through epic weight cuts and still fight at a high level.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Think about it. 155ers walking around at 185. That's damn near 20% that they cutting. 205ers walking around at 235...15%. It's not good.

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
Gleison Tibau walks around at over 185 and rehydrates to damn well near that amount by the time he enters the octagon.

This pic bottles the mind:

Alves used to walk at 200+ and had a tough time making 170. Poirier used to fight at 145!

The EZ Life

Posting Machine
Aug 6, 2015
Think about it. 155ers walking around at 185. That's damn near 20% that they cutting. 205ers walking around at 235...15%. It's not good.
I think it depends how much they cut one week out.. because if you do it properly it's not that bad. let's say u got a 3 month camp, and lose 1-2lbs a week by slimming out... that's 12-24lbs in 3 months at 4-8lbs per month. Then the night before becomes dehydration time and by then maybe they only need to dehydrate a few pounds of water weight (this becomes dangerous when they are trying to lose too much water weight because the weight class is too low for them currently)

bully4me

Aug 10, 2015
It has always been the biggest weight cutting championship. There are times the champ.in each weight class is the fighter who can cut the most weight snd maintain the most althleticism and skill set. Both are often affected by cutting 10%+ of a persons body weight. It is part of what makes them a champion. It is also a legitiamte part of the champions advantage. It is no coincidence champs are often talking about "superfights" a weight class above where they hold a belt.

A. Silva
J. Hendricks
GSP
MM
AJ
Even Rousey is known to go through epic weight cuts and still fight at a high level.
One fighter that's been around quite a long time and has always looked huge for the division is Glieson TIbaou. Remember being at UFC148 and was having dinner with Pat Cote. Tibaou walked in the restaurant and while talking Pat said he couldn't figure out how GT cut to 155 when he was at a bigger walking around weight than he was. At that point Cote was fighting at 185 and about to drop to 170. Before that I always thought Glieson was a very big LW, now looking back and more discussion about weight cutting I think he has to be one of the fighters cutting some of the most weight in MMA. One of the only guys to look bigger than Khabib in the cage and we all know he has a tough time making 155.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
One of the nutritionists said on podcast once that the guys with more muscle have an easier time cutting water than guys who weigh more because their bones are actually bigger, or something like that. So guys like Vick would have to be more concerned with cutting carbs to trim fat to make weight, vs someone like Faber who will cut it in water weight and would burn off the carbs anyway since he's always working out.

Maybe Lockhart? I can't remember.