can a mid 40s person start bjj?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
"Fight no over, he keep scream and slap my leg alot" - rousimar palhares probably
There was a couple (Jake Shields and the one he got booted from the UFC for) that weren't even close to being long holds. I think it was Shields who was mad that he didn't let go at the tap and waited for the ref to stop the fight.
He did wreck a couple guys late

but a couple guys fucked up and got taught a lesson and too big of a deal was made

I don't really blame him...and I think he grew up literally living and eating with the animals or something

Exciting fighter in his own way

gentlemanscombatives

Aug 31, 2020
Yeah i think everyone here has the wrong approach, you can start bjj, you can do bjj, you just probably can't do so at a school that is heavily competition focused full of ex wrestler killers and juiced up ken shamrock wannabes, if you can find like, a hobbyist school where people aren't all trying to get to the ufc you'll be fine. but finding that shcool is the issue.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You can, but injury is always a possibility. I am 47, and have been training BJJ for 12 years and still have been struggling with injuries recently.
Getting old has its drawbacks.
If you find the right school, you should be fine. Most schools have a number of older students, and people starting BJJ in their 50’s and beyond is not that unusual.

I knew I was at the wrong school when I revisited BJJ after 10 years. Brazilian black belt under the Gracie's with typical old school Brazilian training. He talked about how you not everybody needs to go to a competition. Followed immediately by, " But if you want anything you have to compete for it. You want a job you must compete. You want a woman? You must compete. But you don't have to go to competitions"

Proceed to a year of the most intense competition focused training I've ever done. And just endless nagging injuries. As you might expect, the guys that stuck around the longest were all young wrestlers and things like that. Everybody else fell out and it was hard to find a matching personality to train with as a buddy. I got deployed for the military in the middle of all of this and suddenly my joints didn't hurt. After about a month. I never went back when I came home. I didn't realize how much I hurt until I didn't.

Take care of your bodies bros. Injury prevention is the key to a healthy life as you age.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I knew I was at the wrong school when I revisited BJJ after 10 years. Brazilian black belt under the Gracie's with typical old school Brazilian training. He talked about how you not everybody needs to go to a competition. Followed immediately by, " But if you want anything you have to compete for it. You want a job you must compete. You want a woman? You must compete. But you don't have to go to competitions"

Proceed to a year of the most intense competition focused training I've ever done. And just endless nagging injuries. As you might expect, the guys that stuck around the longest were all young wrestlers and things like that. Everybody else fell out and it was hard to find a matching personality to train with as a buddy. I got deployed for the military in the middle of all of this and suddenly my joints didn't hurt. After about a month. I never went back when I came home. I didn't realize how much I hurt until I didn't.

Take care of your bodies bros. Injury prevention is the key to a healthy life as you age.
The US Military. Making them soft since 1973.

ronniejohnson09

Aug 2, 2022
Well you can start training in the your mid 40s but there will always be a probability of getting injury. Anyhow you shouldn't step back from training just because of the fear that you might get injured. Just go ahead and master it.

ronniejohnson09

Aug 2, 2022
Anyone can start his Jiu-Jitsu journey in his 40s even in his 50s or 60s. But It doesn't mean it'll be as easy as starting in your teenage.
So if you're going to start it, Then just start it in some mannered way. First of all, You have to take a proper diet plan with adequate sleep.
Proper rest can help you to do BJJ training 3 hours a day with ease. Excess sugars can cause inflammation and slow down recovery. You'll also want to get a decent stretching plan down. People over 40 often think they're frailer than they really are. In reality, your injury risk isn't as high as you think: As long as you work on your flexibility and recovery. Please keep in mind that BJJ is always complex for everyone. When you start BJJ it will be confusing at first. You will think that you're learning slowly but actually, it is difficult for everyone. In the end, The BJJ is incredibly satisfying. So just start it and nail it.