can a mid 40s person start bjj?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
What are your intentions of training?

You can be a hobbyist and take it easy without getting seriously hurt, imo. Stay away from the maniacs.

There’s more experienced opinions on here.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yes but you need to find the right school.
Focus on flow rolling even though people whine about the term.
Slow, stop fighting, and focus on technique usually. Add intensity and fighting for position later and not all the time.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
You can, but injury is always a possibility. I am 47, and have been training BJJ for 12 years and still have been struggling with injuries recently.
Getting old has its drawbacks.
If you find the right school, you should be fine. Most schools have a number of older students, and people starting BJJ in their 50’s and beyond is not that unusual.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
can a mid 40s person start bjj?

without worry of major injury
Fuck no. You will have at least one minor to major knee,shoulder or neck injury. I have injured eveything from my feet to my skull even on a small level. There is also the risk of staph which could kill you in your mid 40s.

Poiupoiu

50 cents per post
Oct 26, 2015
Fuck no. You will have at least one minor to major knee,shoulder or neck injury. I have injured eveything from my feet to my skull even on a small level. There is also the risk of staph which could kill you in your mid 40s.
this is what my mind says

a guy i know that shares mma is trying to get me to go

gentlemanscombatives

Aug 31, 2020
where the fuck are you training? I've been going for 8 years and the worst thing i've had is a grade 1 ligament tear in my elbow and I got that in a competition

T

The Big Guy

This has been my experience. A easy day is bruises and a few random pains

I fucking love it

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
This has been my experience. A easy day is bruises and a few random pains

I fucking love it
Good to hear this

Poiupoiu @Poiupoiu it can be done, just don't try to do too much at once if your worried about injury...do you have previous injury history?

They got BJJ gyms there near you?

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Extremely unlikely.
+ I'm imagining smaller people rolling with him, so I think injury risk will go down.
In reality there is a dozen or so big ass chinese dudes waiting to tear limb from socket.

1649037507987.png