Can I start an awesome guitar thread?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Today I'm gonna try to do a setup for the first time since my epilepsy got bad.

Gonna need a buddy's help, his hands don't shake and can make adjustments. But I'm setting it up for medium gauge strings, nice low action.

Hopefully I'll be able to play it for a while longer.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
When will you please start an awesome guitar thread? Because this one is fucken pump

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
I’m toying with the idea of starting to play again and buying a new guitar. It got me thinking that when shopping for a new guitar or when someone’s asks me to play something I never know what to play.

So a question for guitar players. When testing out a new guitar what’s your go to play? A song? Scales?

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I’m toying with the idea of starting to play again and buying a new guitar. It got me thinking that when shopping for a new guitar or when someone’s asks me to play something I never know what to play.

So a question for guitar players. When testing out a new guitar what’s your go to play? A song? Scales?
I play every fret top to bottom to see if they sound, or note out. Let em ring from pick or pluck until they die naturally. Then five note scales slowly.
Then finger practices, 1-3, 2-5 etc on each string.
I don't have a specific song to check the overall sound, but play some chords, slow arpeggios.

Then if I like the guitar I go stronger. Chording with alacrity. Hammering.

Single string bending, double stops, all to see if anything sounds off or find places where strings may deaden.

That's about it aside from seeing about the balance, does it feel comfortable to play, etc

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

I usually just strum the open chords. Then I hit harmonics on the 7th and 12th frets. Then just doodle around a bit. Rarely do I actually play a song.

But if I did?
That song is Over The Hills And Far Away.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I usually just strum the open chords. Then I hit harmonics on the 7th and 12th frets. Then just doodle around a bit. Rarely do I actually play a song.

But if I did?
That song is Over The Hills And Far Away.
That was one of the first I learned!

Renzo's Elbow

Feb 25, 2023
My son plays. He's going to college for music education. So, I made him a guitar following a video on youtube. never made anything, don't know anything about guitars. learned a lot. guitar4.mp4
IMG_6074.jpgIMG_6077.jpgIMG_6076.jpg

Renzo's Elbow

Feb 25, 2023
Dude! That looks awesome.
How's it play?
It played great! he said there were a couple problems in a couple lower fretts- actually I think the problem was the neck bridge? was too high/low? which I wouldn't have known. took it to a local guy who fixed it after this first play-