Can I start an awesome guitar thread?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
No. That's a beauty! I like that he kept the traditional body carving like the belly cut, and that scooped lower horn is probably better than cosmetic, it looks right. Great "reboot".
I wanted to hate it, but I've had the chance to look at one, and they really are a great axe. They did a great job of keeping the vintage touches like the neck carve and the tone of the pickups, but also modernized it.

Apparently Fender was cool with neck carves and pickups, but otherwise wanted the Strat to stay a Strat. Which I get, but it wasn't what he wanted.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
You may have seen this already…but PRS made this for his Dead and Co tours
There were a handful available to the public at one point, but they were like $17k or something crazy.

View: https://youtu.be/r_Fo3EIrUw0
PRS makes beautiful guitars that are about as close to boutique as you're going to get in a mass produced guitar. Generally their stuff, although beautiful, doesn't really do it for me. But I've been lusting after a Silver Sky in Polar Blue for quite sometime now.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
PRS makes beautiful guitars that are about as close to boutique as you're going to get in a mass produced guitar. Generally their stuff, although beautiful, doesn't really do it for me. But I've been lusting after a Silver Sky in Polar Blue for quite sometime now.
They’re great looking guitars, and they do feel good in your hands.

I like them, but probably more than I need to spend on a first electric. Maybe if it takes, I could upgrade. My problem is that every time I’m right on the edge of buying a Tele and amp, life gets hectic and I don’t touch a guitar for a few weeks. Then it’s like, we’ll glad I didn’t spend a bunch of money to not use it. But I’m sure if I actually do it I’d be more motivated to make the time.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I wanted to hate it, but I've had the chance to look at one, and they really are a great axe. They did a great job of keeping the vintage touches like the neck carve and the tone of the pickups, but also modernized it.

Apparently Fender was cool with neck carves and pickups, but otherwise wanted the Strat to stay a Strat. Which I get, but it wasn't what he wanted.
I did too, not liking Mayer's music all that much. But it's a good looking axe.

Forgot to mention, I used to live in Annapolis.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
They’re great looking guitars, and they do feel good in your hands.

I like them, but probably more than I need to spend on a first electric. Maybe if it takes, I could upgrade. My problem is that every time I’m right on the edge of buying a Tele and amp, life gets hectic and I don’t touch a guitar for a few weeks. Then it’s like, we’ll glad I didn’t spend a bunch of money to not use it. But I’m sure if I actually do it I’d be more motivated to make the time.
They don't go bad. They look cool hanging on a wall, and if you buy something with a strong brand name, they don't lose value.*

*I don't know enough about PRS' to say for certain that they don't lose value, but Fender's and Gibson's have strong resale.

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
Speaker to Animals @Pak protector

The wall:

View attachment 47435

Current pedalboard (Yes, it's on top of a Rubbermaid bin. Makes it easier to mess with the knobs while I'm playing):

View attachment 47436
Very nice.
I like the replica bumble bee. Little Guitars!
I love the sound of my Fender Hot Rod amp (the clean channel, the overdrive is shit), but can't play out anymore, so I'm gonna replace it with a smaller modeling amp.
Which means my pedals probably retire. Ah well.

Got a favorite effect that is always in your chain?
Mine is an envelope follower, I just love that circuit.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Very nice.
I like the replica bumble bee. Little Guitars!
I love the sound of my Fender Hot Rod amp (the clean channel, the overdrive is shit), but can't play out anymore, so I'm gonna replace it with a smaller modeling amp.
Which means my pedals probably retire. Ah well.

Got a favorite effect that is always in your chain?
Mine is an envelope follower, I just love that circuit.
I have 2 amps, and exclusively play in my basement. They're both Fender Twin Reverbs. Volume doesn't drastically change the sound of them because they were designed to be super clean. So I play them at low volumes and let my pedals alter the tone as I see fit.

I think the only circuit that hasn't left my board since I got it is a RAT. I've got a bunch of different RATs, but I've always had at least one of them on my board. The circuit is just so good, from low gain light overdrive, to fuzz they really do it all. As long as I have built in reverb I could probably just get by with one of those and be happy otherwise. Of course variety is the spice of life so why limit one's self? I'm a big fan of low-mid gain overdrives and pretty much always have one of those on my board. Don't let the naysayers fool you, the Klon circuit is everything it's cracked up to be. Now, is what it does for you? Maybe, maybe not, but it definitely does what it's advertised to do. If you're wondering what that thing is, it's to create conditioning in the signal to cause the amp to get into natural overdrive regardless of volume.
Lately I've been dicking around with compressors quite a bit. That snappy, squishy sound is a lot of fun to mess around with.

Got any pictures of your various pedals?

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
I have 2 amps, and exclusively play in my basement. They're both Fender Twin Reverbs. Volume doesn't drastically change the sound of them because they were designed to be super clean. So I play them at low volumes and let my pedals alter the tone as I see fit.

I think the only circuit that hasn't left my board since I got it is a RAT. I've got a bunch of different RATs, but I've always had at least one of them on my board. The circuit is just so good, from low gain light overdrive, to fuzz they really do it all. As long as I have built in reverb I could probably just get by with one of those and be happy otherwise. Of course variety is the spice of life so why limit one's self? I'm a big fan of low-mid gain overdrives and pretty much always have one of those on my board. Don't let the naysayers fool you, the Klon circuit is everything it's cracked up to be. Now, is what it does for you? Maybe, maybe not, but it definitely does what it's advertised to do. If you're wondering what that thing is, it's to create conditioning in the signal to cause the amp to get into natural overdrive regardless of volume.
Lately I've been dicking around with compressors quite a bit. That snappy, squishy sound is a lot of fun to mess around with.

Got any pictures of your various pedals?
They're all cheapos now.
Basement playing, I use mostly Boss pedals.
Korg Pitch Black>DS-1>AW-3 Dynamic Wah> DD-7 digital delay>tc electronic Ditto Looper x2.

I had a EHX B-3 organ pedal, and it was cool at first, very fun. But then it developed an issue, and EHX quality control and sales assistance were so garbage I hate their products.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
They're all cheapos now.
Basement playing, I use mostly Boss pedals.
Korg Pitch Black>DS-1>AW-3 Dynamic Wah> DD-7 digital delay>tc electronic Ditto Looper x2.

I had a EHX B-3 organ pedal, and it was cool at first, very fun. But then it developed an issue, and EHX quality control and sales assistance were so garbage I hate their products.
How do you find the AW-3 compared to an actual wah pedal?

Speaker to Animals

encephalopathetic
May 16, 2021
How do you find the AW-3 compared to an actual wah pedal?
No comparison. The "touch wah" has limited parameters, and mostly what truly effects the sound is picking dynamics, you get that wuck wucka wuck sound. It's the low cost introduction to what a follower can really do.
Jerry Garcia turned me onto that effect, and his was cream of the crop.
I tended to put my actual wah on one setting when in use, so it really didn't bed to be there.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Look up Pete Dankelson. Young fella, 21 years old, been through 35 surgeries for goldenhar syndrome, but just killing it.

View: https://youtu.be/JPGKUBCazkw

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Hauler @Hauler

The wife and I are going to see Billy Strings tonight. At the Moody Theater, which is an iconic Austin venue and one of my favorites to go to. It's where they film the Austin City Limits show that airs on PBS, but I'm not sure if this one is a taping or not (tons of shows there, but only select ones are recorded for the show).

Looking forward to some live music, it's been weird the last couple of years.

Last edited:

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Hauler @Hauler

The wife and I are going to see Billy Strings tonight. At the Moody Theater, which is an iconic Austin venue and one of my favorites to go to. It's where they film the Austin City Limits show that airs on PBS, but I'm not sure if this one is a taping or not (tons of shows there, but only select ones are recorded for the show).

Looking forward to some live music, it's been weird the last couple of years.
He is crazy good.
Super jealous bro.

Have fun! Let me know how the show was.