Sci/Tech Can you upsample a DVD for a 4K TV while ripping?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
What's up, nerds?

I've been figuring out how to rip my DVD collection to a hard drive to play on the smart TVs, but it turns out DVDs are pretty small resolution-wise. I've been using Handbrake which has tons of 4K settings, but will it improve quality to rip a DVD that's essentially 480p at 170p or 1080p?

Belobog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't think it would be the best option. Your source or display device is going to upscale to the native resolution of the screen anyways. Storing the video in a permanently upscaled format is just going to take up more storage space.

On a large screen, DVD resolution is going to look terrible compared to high quality streams from Netflix/Google Play/etc. no matter what you do.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I don't think it would be the best option. Your source or display device is going to upscale to the native resolution of the screen anyways. Storing the video in a permanently upscaled format is just going to take up more storage space.

On a large screen, DVD resolution is going to look terrible compared to high quality streams from Netflix/Google Play/etc. no matter what you do.
Ah, thanks!

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
But actually what fake Splinty said. The copy you own is already at it's absolute best. Stretching the image / data you have to a larger resolution will actually make the quality a lot shitter. If you own a DVD the best quality you are gonna get is DVD.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Ripping a dvd collection lol. Sell your DVDs and download hd versions of the movies. Blowing up SD is a losing battle

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Ripping a dvd collection lol. Sell your DVDs and download hd versions of the movies. Blowing up SD is a losing battle
Tbh I have a hard drive I've not used in over 5 years (somewhere) it has a TB of movies on it. It's been six years since I've plugged the fucker in which says to me in this day and age you are better off using the high quality streaming services available.

My brother buys a fuck ton of Blu Ray movies. I dunno why. I've seen all the film's he's got and I never purchased any of them

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
the optical resolution of capture sets the ceiling on visual acuity.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
That's why I asked.

I torrented like a bastard until about a month ago when Comcast sent me a letter. I need to get a VPN before I start doing that again.
Private Internet Access is cheap, and easy to set up. And you can set it so only qB uses it.

SongExotic2

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That's why I asked.

I torrented like a bastard until about a month ago when Comcast sent me a letter. I need to get a VPN before I start doing that again.
You get 5 warning shots
Tell them to fuck off

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Imagine you have a printed photo on A4, Could you take that same print and fit it onto A3... well yes you could but it would look all ripped and shitty.

You cant upscale something without having the data. DVD's were that size because of the capacity.

Buy new ones. Easier/better. Look at your hourly rate and work out how long you waste trying to do it, then buy Blu Rays with the resulting number