Society Canadian faces 10-year term for spray painting ancient Thai wall

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
A Briton and Canadian face up to 10 years in prison on charges of spraying paint on an ancient wall in northern Thailand, police said Friday.

Security camera footage purportedly showed Furlong Lee and Canadian Brittney Lorretta Katherine Schneider, both 23, spraying a message on the walls of the Tha Pae Gate in the northern province of Chiang Mai at around 4 a.m. Thursday.

Pol Col. Teerasak Sriprasert, chief of the Chiang Mai police, said that the tourists are in custody and have been charged with vandalizing registered ancient artifacts, which carries a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a million baht (US$30,650) fine.

Teerasak said the pair admitted spraying the message out of drunken revelry. He said that Lee, who is from Liverpool, admitted that he wrote "Scouser Lee" on the wall while Schneider told police that she wrote the letter "B" underneath it.

The 13th century Tha Pae Gate is part of an ancient wall that forms a square around Chiang Mai's inner city.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Good
Unlike westerners, thais are proud of their history and culture.
You don’t go mocking their culture. Nope.

10 years is harsh but the Matt Serra in me says good.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Good
Unlike westerners, thais are proud of their history and culture.
You don’t go mocking their culture. Nope.

10 years is harsh but the Matt Serra in me says good.

GadDamn farangs with no respect for people's culture & history. Anyone surprised tis a scouser? Nope.

M

member 3289

I imagine this has everything to do with the disastrous decision to legalize weed

M

member 1013

I don't see it mentioned in the article but probably from Ontario
This is everything we know about the jailed Canadian tourist in Thailand

Her family is from Grande Prairie, Alberta and she works for WestJet in Alberta.

Bruv I already illustrated Ontario’s extremely low crime rate especially compared to other provinces. We are not rapscallians from the Western provinces that go visit places and swim naked in their shark tanks after assaulting dudes or vandalize ancient historical constructions.

BrunoMcGyver

Bruno no dey carry last
Dec 30, 2015
Seems at first hand a bit excessive. But I`ve been to CM and have spent a lot of time near Thapae Gate. This is valued history for the Thais in this area and for those of us coming into their land we owe them the courtesy of respecting them and their property.

We expect those coming into our lands to do the same - and rightfully so. That must be reciprocated.

M

member 1013

This is obviously from your "use a word you don't understand from a thesaurus once a day" work book.
It is sourced from my word of the day calendar, you cretinous churl! Such a scallywag. I will neither tolerate nor broker this tomfoolery from you, knave. I have never owned a book in my life.

Heart emoji

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
Seems at first hand a bit excessive. But I`ve been to CM and have spent a lot of time near Thapae Gate. This is valued history for the Thais in this area and for those of us coming into their land we owe them the courtesy of respecting them and their property.

We expect those coming into our lands to do the same - and rightfully so. That must be reciprocated.
Doesn't matter what land you're in, you disrespect historic architecture you deserve a fucking slap.