Society Canadian fighter jets intercept Russian bombers in Arctic

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Canadian jets intercept Russian bombers, 1st time since 2014
[
QUOTE]

Canadian fighter jets have intercepted Russian bombers off Canada's northern coast for the first time in more than two years, as relations between Moscow and the West continue to worsen.

Two CF-18s were scrambled on Thursday after North American early-warning air defences spotted two TU-95 Bear bombers approaching Alaskan and Canadian airspace from the west around 7 p.m.

The long-range bombers, which can carry nuclear weapons, were also tracked by U.S. F-22 jets based out of Alaska, said North American Aerospace Defence Command spokeswoman Maj. Jennifer Stadnyk.

Stadnyk said the Russians never entered Canadian or American airspace, and acted "professionally and safely" before returning to their home base.

The incident marked the first time since December 2014 that Canadian fighter jets have been scrambled to intercept Russian military aircraft flying in the Far North.

Russian aircraft spotted four times in four days
It was also the fourth time in as many days that Russian aircraft have been spotted approaching North American airspace. Norad also dispatched F-22s on Monday to track Bear bombers that were flying near Alaska.

Two TU-95s were also spotted near Alaskan airspace on Tuesday while two IL-38 maritime patrol aircraft were tracked on Wednesday, though Norad opted not to scramble fighters in either case.

"We haven't seen this level of activity since July 2015," Stadnyk said, though she added: "It's not unprecedented. What they're doing this week is very similar to what they used to do."

Such Russian bomber flights over the Far North were a regular occurrence between 2012-14, Stadnyk said, before the TU-95s were grounded over safety concerns.

One of the bombers skidded off a runway on June 8, 2015, and caught fire, killing a crew member and injuring several more.

Relations between Russia, U.S. at a 'low point'
The resumption of Russian flights over the Arctic this week comes at a key moment for Russia and the West, whose relationship has reached what U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson recently called "a low point."

Ties between Moscow and Washington have been particularly strained ever since the U.S. launched a cruise-missile strike against Syria, which it blamed for a chemical attack that killed more than 80 people earlier this month.

Relations between Ottawa and Moscow have not been spared, despite the Liberal government's initial plan to re-engage Russia.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called out the Kremlin earlier this month for supporting the Syrian government of president Bashar Assad, who is widely seen by the West as being responsible for the attack.

More than 450 Canadian troops are also preparing to head to Latvia in the next few weeks, where they will lead a NATO force intended to check Russian aggression in eastern Europe.

And Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland remains on a list of individuals banned from visiting Russia, after Canada slapped the country with sanctions for annexing Crimea in 2014.

Steve Saideman, a political science professor at Carleton University's Norman Paterson School of International Affairs, said the Russians could be trying to send a signal to the Trump administration.

But he noted the Russians have been conducting such military flights throughout Europe and Asia for years, "so if it's a message to Trump, what's the message?"

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
M

member 3289

They won't catch us (NORAD) sleeping; that's just not going to happen.

They can get away with that bullshit all they want in Europe, where every country outside of the UK is too weak to properly defend its airspace against Russian aggression, but that shit isn't gonna "fly" in North America.

I'll see myself out.

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
They won't catch us (NORAD) sleeping; that's just not going to happen.

They can get away with that bullshit all they want in Europe, where every country outside of the UK is too weak to properly defend its airspace against Russian aggression, but that shit isn't gonna "fly" in North America.

I'll see myself out.

"Brunelle said signatories are legally obligated to allow surveillance flights under the terms of the treaty, meaning the Russians don’t have to ask permission to undertake such a mission."

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Are we pretending that this was unexpected or out of the ordinary? This is nothing but shameful brinkmanship on the part of our government and media. Its sad to see people eating out of their hand.

Russia conducting aerial surveillance over Canadian military bases

"Such flights aren’t uncommon, with Canada having conducted its own monitoring mission over Russia this past November."
I think its out of the ordinary in that its happening at a time of heightened conflict and distrust on the international scene. In addition to the facts the Russians have been 'buzzing' Alaska's air space all week and Russia recently pulled the plug on some of the safe air space procedures between them and the USA over in Syria. It all ads to the levels of uncertainty of the current times.

The Russians aren't a fan of Canada's little proxy war in Ukraine....I would prefer our military concentrates exclusively on defending Canadian borders and frontiers while staying out of world affairs.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Petro Poroshenko: 'I am thankful to Canada'
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko thanked Canada warmly for its support and called for closer ties between the two countries in a speech to Parliament on Wednesday.

"I am thankful to Canada. Your country was one of the soundest supporters of Ukraine," he said after being greeted by a standing ovation from MPs and senators gathered in the House of Commons.

"Let's look beyond the crisis and war … we need to pay more attention to the bilateral co-operation in such spheres as energy, trade, investment, information, aerospace and many other technologies," Poroshenko added.

Canada and Ukraine also committed to pick up where they'd left off on stalled trade negotiations.

"I hope that both negotiation teams translated our firm signal, the prime minister's and mine, and the next time we will see each other, we will have [a] Ukraine-Canada free trade agreement to sign."

While Poroshenko warmly praised Canada for its support and longstanding relationship, in his speech and in an exclusive interview with Evan Solomon, host of CBC News Network's Power & Politics, he outlined additional requests: expanded loans, intelligence sharing and freer trade.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I think its out of the ordinary in that its happening at a time of heightened conflict and distrust on the international scene. In addition to the facts the Russians have been 'buzzing' Alaska's air space all week and Russia recently pulled the plug on some of the safe air space procedures between them and the USA over in Syria. It all ads to the levels of uncertainty of the current times.
buzzing

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
"It is being conducted under the terms of the Treaty on Open Skies, which Canada, Russia and 32 other countries signed in 1992 to encourage trust and openness about each country’s military capabilities and activities."

Good catch DiSmAnTLeR @DiSmAnTLeR

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
The Russians aren't a fan of Canada's little proxy war in Ukraine....I would prefer our military concentrates exclusively on defending Canadian borders and frontiers while staying out of world affairs.
And Latvia.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
"Brunelle said signatories are legally obligated to allow surveillance flights under the terms of the treaty, meaning the Russians don’t have to ask permission to undertake such a mission."
And they do this surveillance with bombers?

Lol

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Are we pretending that this was unexpected or out of the ordinary? This is nothing but shameful brinkmanship on the part of our government and media. Its sad to see people eating out of their hand.

Russia conducting aerial surveillance over Canadian military bases

"Such flights aren’t uncommon, with Canada having conducted its own monitoring mission over Russia this past November."
This "surveillance" is supposed to be with an unarmed aircraft and a member of Canadian personnel aboard, right?

M

member 1013

Three year old article

?
I knew because I read it three years ago and never forget like 9/11

then I saw the conservative MP being parliamentary secretary to minister of defence

Basically I'm smart and nothing gets by this big juicy brain

Although they probe NORAD and NATO airspaces constantly

But why post an article from 2014

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
And they do this surveillance with bombers?

Lol

"The five-day mission started Tuesday and involves an unarmed Russian aircraft flying to different parts of the country to take photos of Canadian Forces bases and other military installations."

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
This "surveillance" is supposed to be with an unarmed aircraft and a member of Canadian personnel aboard, right?

Where does it state in the article that I posted that they didn't use an unarmed aircraft, or are you going on the info contained in the OP's story which is from 2014?