General Canadian Politics eh.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Conservatives reviewing election near-miss as Andrew Scheer makes pitch to stay on as leader
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-conservative-2019-federal-election-1.5332912
The Conservative Party of Canada has started the post-mortem process on the 2019 election campaign, trying to work out what went wrong in the weeks leading up to Monday's vote.

In a Facebook live video shot Wednesday afternoon, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer acknowledged his campaign did not go as well as he'd wanted.

"Obviously, we're disappointed in the results, and we were expecting and hopeful for a lot more Canadians supporting our party, especially in some key areas," Scheer said in response to an online question.

"The work to solve those problems has already started. I've already had meetings with some of the key officials that were responsible for the campaign. We're going to have a thorough review, we're going to go through everything and say, 'Look, we made some great progress, but we need to do better next time.'"

While the Conservatives won the popular vote and made overall seat gains, Scheer did not win enough support in Quebec and Ontario to put him over the top.

"It's time to work even harder, pour ourselves into this work over the next few months, and that's exactly what we are going to do," Scheer said.

Scheer's public stay-the-course statements are part of an overall effort to fend off anyone who might be considering challenging his leadership.

Before the election campaign was even over, news reports suggested former Conservative cabinet minister Peter MacKay was being looked at as a possible replacement.

In the wake of the vote, CBC News spoke with multiple Conservative sources on background to gauge the mood of the party, both inside and outside of caucus.

Conservatives throwing 'bombs'
While there is widespread disappointment within the party, the sources CBC News spoke with are generally satisfied that Scheer has done enough to hold on to his job — although some acknowledged he faces serious challenges going forward.

One source said the calls for a change in leadership are coming from "outside the house" and accused impatient Conservatives of trying to "throw bombs into caucus."

"Caucus is going to be solidly behind Andrew," the source predicted.

"At the end of the day, he's probably fine," said a second source, who pointed out the party has invested millions of dollars in promoting Scheer's brand and boosting his name recognition and suggested it would be a waste at this stage for the party to cut its losses and move on.

At the same time, several sources said Scheer's own image turned out to lack appeal for voters in Ontario and Quebec.

The Pride problem
A third source said Scheer's past comments about same-sex marriage and his refusal to participate in LGBT pride events were regularly brought up by voters during the campaign.

In the lead-up to the campaign, the Liberals posted online a clip of a 2005 speech Scheer delivered in the House of Commons opposing same-sex marriage.

While Scheer said during the campaign he would defend equal marriage as defined by law, he dodged questions about whether his personal views on the issue have evolved over time.

Another point that repeatedly came up during the campaign was Scheer's personal position on abortion. Again, Scheer said a Conservative government would not reopen this debate, even as he personally described himself as "pro-life."

The third source said there was no way for Conservatives to spin Scheer's position on these social issues, and it cost them.

'The ceiling is getting further away'
"It's not like the country is going to become less pro-choice, or less supportive of same sex marriage," the source said.

If these concerns are not addressed, the source said, Conservatives will struggle to win more support in Ontario and Quebec.

"What this election showed is that the floor is solid, but the ceiling is getting further away."

Scheer and his inner circle are well aware of the scrutiny they will be under during the election post-mortem, according to a fourth source.

"Any smart political operator will be looking at all of the angles. The people around Scheer, and Scheer himself, will take nothing for granted," the source said.

However, the source added that the party doesn't appear to be looking for another leadership race.

The Quebec problem
The Conservatives CBC News spoke with said Scheer's campaign pitch to Quebec voters was a failure and must be a significant focus of the election campaign review.

Multiple sources say the strategy fell flat, starting with Scheer's performance in the TVA French language debate.

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh and Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet ganged up on Scheer during that debate, hammering away at his positions on social issues and his energy policies.

On top of that, Scheer's struggles with French as his second language were abundantly clear during this performance.

The fourth source said the party also needs to take a close look at how the Conservative appeal to voters in Quebec played in English Canada.

Scheer vowed that a Conservative government would not intervene in the legal challenge against Bill 21 — the Quebec law that bans some public employees from wearing religious symbols while at work — though he said would never introduce anything of that nature at a federal level.

As the Conservatives take a closer look at what happened over the past five weeks, Scheer said he's prepared to hold Prime Minister Trudeau to account.

"The burden is going to be on him to find common ground. It's up to him to reach out to other parties in an attempt to pass legislation," Scheer said in his Facebook video.

"Voters gave him a minority government. We won the most votes. So we will use our position, as the opposition, to stand up for the things Canadians voted for."

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Trudeau extends olive branch to Western Canada, vows to build Trans Mountain despite opposition
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-western-canada-trans-mountain-1.5332365
"We made a decision to move forward on the pipeline because it was in the interest of Canada to do so, because the environment and the economy need to go together. We will be continuing with the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion," he said.

"Albertans and people in Saskatchewan have faced very difficult years over these past few years because of the global commodity prices, because of the challenges they are facing. For a long time they weren't able to get their resources to markets other than the U.S. We are moving forward to solve those challenges."
"I will be reaching out specifically to westerners to hear from them ... to talk about how we can make sure that the concerns, the very real concerns of Albertans, are being addressed and reflected by this government," Trudeau said.

"This is something that I take very seriously, as a responsibility, to ensure that we are moving forward in ways that benefit all Canadians. I will be listening and working with a broad range of people to ensure that happens."

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
someone sprayed a big red CUNT across the weather womans face

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Ezra Levant is a loser who has been sued for liable multiple times. The guy is a clown. I think Trudeau is also a clown but Ezra's clown shoes are larger. To try to defend him as a legit member of the media is a joke.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Ezra Levant is a loser who has been sued for liable multiple times. The guy is a clown. I think Trudeau is also a clown but Ezra's clown shoes are larger. To try to defend him as a legit member of the media is a joke.
That's not how freedom of the press works. 1 out of 1 Canadian courts agree.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
You think everyone who identifies themselves as a media member should be given press access to govt officials and events?
Yes, and again, 1 out of 1 Canadian courts agree.

It's also absurd that you're pretending Ezra Levant is some guy just showing up in a trenchcoat and a fedora with a piece of paper with "press" written on it in the brim. I have 0 use for him, but there's no reason for him to be discounted as a member of the free press anymore than Rosemary Barton pretending to be independent the day after being out with JT's campaign director. Do you honestly not see how the LPC is manipulating the Canadian media to suit their needs? They had the media union running campaign ads for them for fuck's sake.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Yes, and again, 1 out of 1 Canadian courts agree.

It's also absurd that you're pretending Ezra Levant is some guy just showing up in a trenchcoat and a fedora with a piece of paper with "press" written on it in the brim. I have 0 use for him, but there's no reason for him to be discounted as a member of the free press anymore than Rosemary Barton pretending to be independent the day after being out with JT's campaign director. Do you honestly not see how the LPC is manipulating the Canadian media to suit their needs? They had the media union running campaign ads for them for fuck's sake.
I do see how the LPC is manipulating the media to suit their needs but I still say fuck Ezra, the guy is a proven #fakenews peddler. Go as right as anyone wants but dont use douche bags like Ezra to push the cause.

And giving press access to anyone who claims to be media is not feasible. Time is of concern. Time is money.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Green is as fringe as they come, easy to agree upon, regardless of ones views.

But I think a new younger fresh face for the Greens might be a positive thing for their party.

Elizabeth May says she's staying on as leader — for now
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/green-party-priorities-letter-trudeau-1.5333869
Green Party Leader Elizabeth May says she will not stay on as leader of her party for another four years but intends to run again and continue to serve as a Member of Parliament for the B.C. riding of Saanich-Gulf Islands.

"I don't think I will stay on as leader for four more years. I will run again, I hope. As long as my health holds up I'd love to be the Member of Parliament for Saanich-Gulf Islands for another term and I'd love to work with another leader," May said during a news conference at her constituency office Thursday.

"For the near term I think it's very important for the health of the party that I continue as leader."

May said that her future as leader is not a decision that she will take alone. She said she wants to consult with the other two Green MPs who were elected on Monday, Paul Manley, in Nanaimo-Ladysmith, and Jenica Atwin, in Fredericton, first.

May said that in a minority government an election could happen sooner rather than later, complicating her transition out of the leadership, but that it is her intention to leave her role atop the party.

"I think the chances are very slight that I would be leading the Green Party into an election in 2023, if the next election is spring of 2020 I think it's more likely I would be leading the Green Party into that election," she said.