General Canadian Politics eh.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 1013

Freeloading Rusty @MC Gusto 4/5 cases are in Toronto and the four immediately adjacent municipalities and 8 percent of the the remaining 1/5 are in a single city called Hamilton.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Freeloading Rusty @MC Gusto 4/5 cases are in Toronto and the four immediately adjacent municipalities and 8 percent of the the remaining 1/5 are in a single city called Hamilton.
Is there much community transmission happening?

The island hasnt had a new case in a month now, I say lock down the ferries until the second wave passes.

Went out to a restaurant for the first time in 3 months today.

M

member 1013

Is there much community transmission happening?

The island hasnt had a new case in a month now, I say lock down the ferries until the second wave passes.

Went out to a restaurant for the first time in 3 months today.
Was it delicious

Yea lots of community transmission locally

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Was it delicious

Yea lots of community transmission locally

Its always delicious when a cute blonde wearing a ...... mask serves you. She had to put in extra effort to earn that tip without being able to flash her pretty smile.

We chose to sit on the empty patio and had it all to ourselves. Food was good and best of all, we didnt have to do the dishes.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
B.C. Premier John Horgan promises changes to Police Act, says calls for defunding ‘simplistic’

“Minister (Mike) Farnworth and I have been talking about policing for some time. It wasn’t just the advent of the frustrations and the challenges that we’ve seen south of the border. We have issues with law enforcement in Canada as well, we’re not immune to this,” Horgan said.

“What we expect law enforcement to do today is quite different from what they were doing 45 years ago.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
So it's about 3 days before C19 symptoms show up, and around here its about 3 days to get test results.

Last Friday: Large protest
5 days later: 1 new case
6 days later: 9 new cases
7 days later: 12 new cases

Thanks JT, you fucking moron.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Come on man, my wife wont do well in jail.... I hope she doesnt come back a lesbane. Fuck me and the kids are worried sick
What a shit show that is eh.

How much will it cost tax payers to prosecute each case? This 8 grand they gave away will turn into 18 grand in costs to tax payers.

SoupCan

how bout dat
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
What do you propose the government do?
I'd like to see them making life easier for people... its 2020, were suppose to be flying in cars and just living the good life instead we are taxed at every corner, underpaid and the cost of everything keeps climbing.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I'd like to see them making life easier for people... its 2020, were suppose to be flying in cars and just living the good life instead we are taxed at every corner, underpaid and the cost of everything keeps climbing.
I meant about the CERB specifically. Some people both want accountability for abuses but also don't want the government involved in recovery procedures, you can't have it both ways.

Regarding your post, the government can't make life easier for everyone. It's not within their capacity. All they can do is pick groups of people they choose to help, and pay for that with money they're taking from groups they choose not to.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016

More CERB abuse.

What a shit show. How did the govt not see this coming?

As I have said from day 1, the govt should have built in more accountability and regulations. Now that they have failed to do so, we can greatly increase the costs to tax payers in an attempt to track down those being dishonest or outright criminal.

During ‘normal’ times, if you were out of work and in need of financial support, you had to wait until your claim was verified and properly processed. What makes someone out of work due to covid any more in need of someone out of work due to layoffs or a lack of work?

Why in the time of Covid, does the govt think Canadians can’t live off less than $1250-$2000 yet precovid those in need got a fraction of that support and are expected to live off it.... and wait to ensure you were actually in need and eligible to receive the benefits or assistance?

Considering what the final bill to tax payers is going to be... the govt should have just sent everyone cheque. Then we wouldn’t be paying thousands of staff (from govt to criminal justice staff) to track down offenders.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Those who apply for income assistance ‘in regular times’ are required to provide a 90 day bank statement to show financial need as well as a shelter form to show they are paying rent or mortgage... At minimum the government should’ve also require this for anyone applying to CERB.

Those who are in significant financial need while they wait on their appointment insurance benefits to kick in seek out funds from income assistance call back once their employment insurance goes through. There’s no reason the government could’ve done the same for CERB... Which would’ve increased accountability and regulations.

SoupCan

how bout dat
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I meant about the CERB specifically. Some people both want accountability for abuses but also don't want the government involved in recovery procedures, you can't have it both ways.

Regarding your post, the government can't make life easier for everyone. It's not within their capacity. All they can do is pick groups of people they choose to help, and pay for that with money they're taking from groups they choose not to.
I dont know a solution, its far beyond me but it feels basically like its a trial and error kinda thing. Hopefully we get it right but to me it just seems like it is creating a divide much like everything.

I applied for EI middle of March because I was told we were going to be down a minimum 2 weeks due to Covid it ended up only being 3 days, I got a CERB payment and I feel like its just going to be a pain in the ass.

I think I'd like to see a UBI, i mean fuck we could all use a little extra money... where would it come from? I dont know either maybe lets start at the top of the list instead of us poor fuckers down here trying to make it work.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I applied for EI middle of March because I was told we were going to be down a minimum 2 weeks due to Covid it ended up only being 3 days, I got a CERB payment and I feel like its just going to be a pain in the ass.
So have you applied for and been receiving both?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
As I have said from day 1, the govt should have built in more accountability and regulations.
There is built in accountability and regulation. People are just trying to make political hay, so instead of focusing on the actual issues with CERB, they're making up issues and complaining about those.

What makes someone out of work due to covid any more in need of someone out of work due to layoffs or a lack of work?
In this instance it's actually the government causing people to be out of work. They decided "We run an economy in which a fuck ton of people live paycheque to paycheque, maybe we should make sure they can put food on their table."

Why in the time of Covid, does the govt think Canadians can’t live off less than $1250-$2000 yet precovid those in need got a fraction of that support and are expected to live off it.... and wait to ensure you were actually in need and eligible to receive the benefits or assistance?
Middle class Canadian households can't live off $2000 a month at anytime. Covid payments are largely the same amounts that EI payments are.

Considering what the final bill to tax payers is going to be... the govt should have just sent everyone cheque.
Fully agree, should've paid everyone in the country 3 grand to stay home for 3 weeks.

Those who apply for income assistance ‘in regular times’ are required to provide a 90 day bank statement to show financial need as well as a shelter form to show they are paying rent or mortgage... At minimum the government should’ve also require this for anyone applying to CERB.
The government system doesn't have the capacity to quickly vet applicants in normal times. When they went to reduced staff and applications went up 1000's of % that system becomes completely untenable. Make the form easy, make it clear to anyone applying that if they aren't eligible they'll be required to pay it back in full at tax time next year, and then get the cheques out as quickly as you can.

Those who are in significant financial need while they wait on their appointment insurance benefits to kick in seek out funds from income assistance call back once their employment insurance goes through. There’s no reason the government could’ve done the same for CERB... Which would’ve increased accountability and regulations.
There is adequate accountability and regulations in place with CERB. It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback, but sadly I know of people, families, who would have been out on the streets if they had to wait for the slow processes of government bureaucracy.

SoupCan

how bout dat
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
So have you applied for and been receiving both?
Well this is what is fucked about the situation. I applied for EI and it usually takes a couple weeks then you get your access code and then you have to file the report every other week. Since we werent laid off for a longer period than expected I planned to not file any reports and let my ei claim go dormant. The goverment rolled out the CERB and I received the first round of payments for that. I had no intention of collecting it I honestly didnt know I had received it until a coworker had asked because he noticed it in his account.

I know there is the choice to return it and that's what I plan on doing it's still in my account i am just not going to return it until this mess is sorted and they come asking.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Well this is what is fucked about the situation. I applied for EI and it usually takes a couple weeks then you get your access code and then you have to file the report every other week. Since we werent laid off for a longer period than expected I planned to not file any reports and let my ei claim go dormant. The goverment rolled out the CERB and I received the first round of payments for that. I had no intention of collecting it I honestly didnt know I had received it until a coworker had asked because he noticed it in his account.

I know there is the choice to return it and that's what I plan on doing it's still in my account i am just not going to return it until this mess is sorted and they come asking.
Hold onto it, file your taxes properly, and pay it back when they ask for it. Just don't spend it, then make a thread next year bitching that you're in trouble for the "free money they gave me!!!". Lol.

SoupCan

how bout dat
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I dont know, I dont have the answers to all or really any of the issues were facing. I just hope that we start to see some significant changes, I'd like our dollar to be worth as much as it was when my parents or grandparents were raising a family. Their dollar back then was almost whole ours is about 53 cents it feels like. It's just enough to keep above water without making any significant savings unless your willing to kill yourself working.

And I mean two jobs or long fucking hours. I've done it all oil rigs, drove truck, logged, now I am complacent in the industry being paid decent and am still having to work weekends and overtime to make ends meet and I am not financially irresponsible. It makes me want to puke seeing people with mortgages like mine, car payments and credit card debt.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Trudeau told people, if they needed support to apply.

Trudeau was asked specifically whether those who apply and receive the CERB will face any consequences beyond having to repay the money next year. He did not respond.

“If you lost your job because of COVID-19, whether you're full time contract or self-employed, this new benefit will be there for you. If you're sick or quarantined looking after someone sick, or at home taking care of your kids. It's there for you. And even if you're still employed but not receiving income because of this crisis, the CERB is there for you, Trudeau said.