General Canadian Politics eh.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SoupCan

how bout dat
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
BC NDP offering 1000 whole bucks to people who qualify if re-elected.... I like being paid to vote, makes me feel all tingly in my fun bits

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
BC NDP offering 1000 whole bucks to people who qualify if re-elected.... I like being paid to vote, makes me feel all tingly in my fun bits
At least they aren't pretending to be ethical about their power grab anymore.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
$1000 per family with incomes under 125k as a part of the economic stimulus plan.

500 per single person.

Our family will not qualify for the thousand dollars but I can’t shit on the NDP for trying to help the working man.

Last edited:
M

member 1013

$1000 per family with incomes under 125k as a part of the economic stimulus plan.

500 per single person.

Our family will not qualify for the thousand dollars but I can’t shit on the NDP for trying to help the working man.
Can I have some of your money?

SoupCan

how bout dat
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I'm just happy to see both parties in BC trying to buy votes, so we have the bidding I hear a 1000 can I get 1500?

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
A B.C. research project gave homeless people $7,500 each — the results were 'beautifully surprising'
Participants found housing faster, boosted food security and reduced spending on substances, study found
The results of a B.C. research project that gave thousands of dollars to homeless people are in and, according to one researcher, could challenge stereotypes about people "living on the margins."

The New Leaf project is a joint study started in 2018 by Foundations for Social Change, a Vancouver-based charitable organization, and the University of British Columbia. After giving homeless Lower Mainland residents cash payments of $7,500, researchers checked on them over a year to see how they were faring.

All 115 participants, ranging in age between 19 and 64, had been homeless for at least six months and were not struggling with serious substance use or mental health issues. Of those, 50 people were chosen at random to be given the cash, while the others formed a control group that did not receive any money.

What researchers found after 12 months, she said, was "beautifully surprising."

Budget breakdown
Not only did those who received the money spend fewer days homeless than those in the control group, they had also moved into stable housing after an average of three months, compared to those in the control group, who took an average of five months.

Those who received the money also managed it well over the course of a year.

"We saw people retain over $1,000 for 12 months, which is remarkable in the Lower Mainland," said Williams.

On average, cash recipients spent 52 per cent of their money on food and rent, 15 per cent on other items such as medications and bills, and 16 per cent on clothes and transportation.

month. In comparison, spending on alcohol, cigarettes and drugs went down, on average, by 39 per cent.

Too often people dismiss the idea of giving homeless people money because they assume it will be mismanaged, Williams said.

"It challenges stereotypes we have here in the West about how to help people living on the margins," she said.