General Canadian Politics eh.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
M

member 1013

The federal Liberals have defended their record-busting deficit spending during the pandemic with the rationale that the government is taking on debt so that Canadians won’t have to, a line of reasoning that again surfaced in Monday’s economic update.

But Ottawa continues to dramatically overshoot that mark, with household income data released Tuesday showing that the emergency support programs rolled out to cushion the economic blow of the coronavirus have outstripped the loss in earnings since the end of March. Ottawa is not only shouldering the potential debts of Canadians – it has borrowed tens of billions of dollars to pad their bank accounts.

Statistics Canada data show that primary household income, or private-sector earnings, barely dropped between the first quarter of 2020 and third quarter, falling by just 1 per cent, or $15.2-billion to $1.52-trillion. But transfers from government, which include existing programs such as employment insurance plus new coronavirus-era programs, made up for that drop many times over. Those transfers rose by $103.8-billion from the first quarter to the third quarter, meaning that the government effectively gave households nearly $7 for each dollar of lost private-sector income. Those figures are seasonally adjusted and stated on an annualized basis.

SoupCan

how bout dat
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
The federal Liberals have defended their record-busting deficit spending during the pandemic with the rationale that the government is taking on debt so that Canadians won’t have to, a line of reasoning that again surfaced in Monday’s economic update.

But Ottawa continues to dramatically overshoot that mark, with household income data released Tuesday showing that the emergency support programs rolled out to cushion the economic blow of the coronavirus have outstripped the loss in earnings since the end of March. Ottawa is not only shouldering the potential debts of Canadians – it has borrowed tens of billions of dollars to pad their bank accounts.

Statistics Canada data show that primary household income, or private-sector earnings, barely dropped between the first quarter of 2020 and third quarter, falling by just 1 per cent, or $15.2-billion to $1.52-trillion. But transfers from government, which include existing programs such as employment insurance plus new coronavirus-era programs, made up for that drop many times over. Those transfers rose by $103.8-billion from the first quarter to the third quarter, meaning that the government effectively gave households nearly $7 for each dollar of lost private-sector income. Those figures are seasonally adjusted and stated on an annualized basis.
I find a have to read news articles and people posts a couple times over before commenting. I've read yours a few times now and am just sorta flabbergasted.

It really just makes me ill how far gone our federal government is

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Ok Canadians.

In the spirit of the last 4 years, I'm going to devote 2021 to reading and posting in this thread.

I'll have no idea wtf I'm talking about, but, well, turnabout's fair play.

M

member 1013

Ok Canadians.

In the spirit of the last 4 years, I'm going to devote 2021 to reading and posting in this thread.

I'll have no idea wtf I'm talking about, but, well, turnabout's fair play.
Are you mad we can have expedient elections?

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I find a have to read news articles and people posts a couple times over before commenting. I've read yours a few times now and am just sorta flabbergasted.

It really just makes me ill how far gone our federal government is
So I've read through a number of posts in this thread and have realized several things.

YOU are the target of much of this thread. Not you specifically, but people like you who seem to have had to deal with difficulties and need to be pointed in a direction. This thread started with general grousing and complaining about this and that, to be expected in any country, but don't you think it's odd that there are pages upon pages of posts that are just reposts of "news" articles (mostly memes and blogs, not actual news). This thread turned into a spamming campaign to get people based and it seems to be working.

Trudeau and the libs may suck, but you should ask the most dedicated posters about their annual income before taking their messages at face value. Based on past inquiries, most are in the top bracket or have strong side hustles.

M

member 1013

So I've read through a number of posts in this thread and have realized several things.

YOU are the target of much of this thread. Not you specifically, but people like you who seem to have had to deal with difficulties and need to be pointed in a direction. This thread started with general grousing and complaining about this and that, to be expected in any country, but don't you think it's odd that there are pages upon pages of posts that are just reposts of "news" articles (mostly memes and blogs, not actual news). This thread turned into a spamming campaign to get people based and it seems to be working.

Trudeau and the libs may suck, but you should ask the most dedicated posters about their annual income before taking their messages at face value. Based on past inquiries, most are in the top bracket or have strong side hustles.
I’m poor