General Canadian Politics eh.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Depends who you ask. The small time farmers who aren't allowed a market share, or the Americans who pay about half of what we do will tell you without question. The people currently benefiting from supply management will tell you it's what makes dairy affordable. Having said that, other places do fine without it. Only one way to find out, but $3.50 for a liter of milk is getting to be a bit much.
But the grocery stores have us conditioned to pay $3.50 for the milk. Unless you are going to go down the farm lane and buy your milk, you're still going to pay the same price at the grocery store. What is it, 80-90% of the Canadian grocery market is controlled by 2 companies?

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Canadians are fucking retarded when it comes to federal politics we have more than 2 major parties yet the knowitalls always advocate for the same two and then people throw up their arms like it's a big fucking surprise that nothing ever changes except that more laws are passed yearly.
Fucking idiots.
Which other party do you advocate for?

Which other party do you think has a realistic chance of getting into power in Canada?

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
But the grocery stores have us conditioned to pay $3.50 for the milk.
There's very little markup on dairy. The price is dictated by the distributors.

Unless you are going to go down the farm lane and buy your milk, you're still going to pay the same price at the grocery store.
Not an option for those who are lactose intolerant like my wife.

What is it, 80-90% of the Canadian grocery market is controlled by 2 companies?
Correct, and largely because of supply chain management. Where other countries protect their farmers by subsidizing, Canadian industries are protected by not allowing competitors into the market.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
What other make work projects you referring to with the RCMP?
If I were to go back off the top of my head I'd start with them using paid informants to fill their Italian internment camps. More recently there's the creation of terrorists and over the past year the relentless pursuit of their disarmament agenda. Don't forget the 30 years of covering up sexual assaults (which is still occurring)

The organization is too large, with a reach too overbearing for them to not believe we live in a police state. The current government letting them do whatever they want is a rather terrifying proposition. Unless they're acting on behalf of the government, but what they're doing now they've also done under other parties.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
If I were to go back off the top of my head I'd start with them using paid informants to fill their Italian internment camps. More recently there's the creation of terrorists and over the past year the relentless pursuit of their disarmament agenda. Don't forget the 30 years of covering up sexual assaults (which is still occurring)

The organization is too large, with a reach too overbearing for them to not believe we live in a police state. The current government letting them do whatever they want is a rather terrifying proposition. Unless they're acting on behalf of the government, but what they're doing now they've also done under other parties.
Some good points there.

The creation of terrorists makes me immediately think of Nuttall and Korody, what a shit show waste of money that was.

The history of sexual assaults are the elephant in the room but I don't think they could be considered make work projects unless your counting the investigations into them.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
The history of sexual assaults are the elephant in the room but I don't think they could be considered make work projects unless your counting the investigations into them.
If you look back you'll find that the RCMP didn't want female members to begin with. If you keep that in mind when looking at how it has all played out it becomes obvious.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
If you look back you'll find that the RCMP didn't want female members to begin with. If you keep that in mind when looking at how it has all played out it becomes obvious.
RCMP didn't want female members, fire fighters didn't want female members, military didn't want female members... It was typical of the times.

But I see the point you are making about it being a boys club and the normalization of the harassment of female members.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
RCMP didn't want female members, fire fighters didn't want female members, military didn't want female members... It was typical of the times.
but only one of those organizations has spent the entire time since then creating a toxic work environment with everyone in the organization (in this case right to the top) covering up the behavior. The military isn't much better, but last I checked generals and defense ministers aren't in on a cover up about it.

Which other party do you advocate for?

Which other party do you think has a realistic chance of getting into power in Canada?
Someone once told me that the definition of crazy is to keep doing the same thing and expecting different consequences. I would advocate voting for the person in your riding who has the best track record of voting on bills which favour you. If that is a wash and you aren't happy with the decisions of the last government then explore different options. I would not advocate playing red team vs. blue team.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Canadians are fucking retarded when it comes to federal politics we have more than 2 major parties yet the knowitalls always advocate for the same two and then people throw up their arms like it's a big fucking surprise that nothing ever changes except that more laws are passed yearly.
Fucking idiots.
It's hard to pick someone outside of the big 2 though. NDP are a joke, Green Party is a joke, Tim Moen with the Libertarian Party is a joke. It's hard to find a serious contender outside of those big 2.

The sooner we get Trudeau out of there, the better.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
It's hard to pick someone outside of the big 2 though. NDP are a joke, Green Party is a joke, Tim Moen with the Libertarian Party is a joke. It's hard to find a serious contender outside of those big 2.

People kept saying this in regards to provincial politics and the recent election in BC.

Green is a joke, NDP is a joke..

Well it turns out, Green might hold significant power in BC through the possibility of a minority govt with the greens holding the balance of power.

You say the NDP are a joke because of what? It's just something people repeat but give little thought to imo. However, I don't advocate voting for them, just NOT getting caught up in the stupid two-party dominated shit fest that never moves the ball down the field.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
You say the NDP are a joke because of what? It's just something people repeat but give little thought to imo. However, I don't advocate voting for them, just NOT getting caught up in the stupid two-party dominated shit fest that never moves the ball down the field.
They're a joke federally, Mulcair is an epic failure.

Mad Max will move the ball down the field. Smaller government, more freedom. The Liberal party likes big government, big spending and the NDP would be even worse. Soon we'll be paying to post-secondary under these cocksuckers.

They're a joke federally, Mulcair is an epic failure.

Mad Max will move the ball down the field. Smaller government, more freedom. The Liberal party likes big government, big spending and the NDP would be even worse. Soon we'll be paying to post-secondary under these cocksuckers.
Does the Conservative Party have a history of reducing government size and scope of operations? I don't know much about Bernier but he already has ties to shady characters from what I have heard.
What specifically about Mulcair do you deem a failure?
But, you see that's the FUCKING PROBLEM with having such discussions. One doesn't vote for a leader in Canada. We should be voting in MPs and expecting them to represent their constituents. The system is not functioning like it should and that's part of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Temporary foreign worker program prone to abuse, Auditor General says

Canada's temporary foreign workers program is rife with oversight problems that appear to have allowed lower-paid international workers to take jobs that out-of-work Canadians could fill, the federal auditor general says.

Some companies have effectively built a business model on the program that could be having unintended consequences that the government doesn't know about, including wage suppression or discouraging capital investment and innovation, said Michael Ferguson's report on the program, part of a fresh batch of federal audits tabled Tuesday.

Ferguson's report says the government approved applications for temporary foreign workers even when employers had not demonstrated reasonable efforts to train existing employees or hire unemployed Canadians, including those from under-represented groups, such as First Nations.

Nor did officials effectively crack down on companies that were found to have run afoul of the rules; few on-site inspections or face-to-face interviews with the foreign workers themselves were conducted, the audit found. Even when corrective action was recommended, it took months for all the necessary approvals.

Ferguson is calling for better oversight of the program and more pushback from federal officials to ensure companies applying to hire temporary foreign workers are doing so for the right reasons.

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
Someone once told me that the definition of crazy is to keep doing the same thing and expecting different consequences. I would advocate voting for the person in your riding who has the best track record of voting on bills which favour you. If that is a wash and you aren't happy with the decisions of the last government then explore different options. I would not advocate playing red team vs. blue team.

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016

And if people keep thinking like this... It will never change

It's time to realize this red vs blue game is to keep us focused on that and not who is the best for the position

People will be people I guess

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Yeah good for them, we'll see how that works out :D
It's already worked out great for the Greens. They increased the number of seats they control... And significantly increased their control of power & exposure to the general public (if it stays a minority after the recount and absentee count).

Gay For Longo

*insert Matt Serra meme
Jan 22, 2016
Does the Conservative Party have a history of reducing government size and scope of operations? I don't know much about Bernier but he already has ties to shady characters from what I have heard.
But, you see that's the FUCKING PROBLEM with having such discussions. One doesn't vote for a leader in Canada. We should be voting in MPs and expecting them to represent their constituents. The system is not functioning like it should and that's part of the problem.
get the fuck out of my brain homie

Some companies have effectively built a business model on the program that could be having unintended consequences that the government doesn't know about,
Yeah, I'm sure the people who greenlit that one, had never imagined or intended that businesses would use foreign workers to benefit the top of the pyramid at the expense of those on the bottom.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
What specifically about Mulcair do I deem a failure? Did you see the 2015 election? How many seats did they lose again? NDP crashed and burned under his leadership.

I'm not going by the history of the Conservative party because Stephen Harper was an out of touch cunt and I'm glad he's gone.