General Canadian Politics eh.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Omar Khadr seeks Canadian passport to travel, permission to speak to sister
Former Guantanamo Bay detainee Omar Khadr wants to be granted a Canadian passport to travel to Saudi Arabia and permission to speak to his controversial sister.

Khadr, who is now 32, will be back in the Court of Queen's Bench in Edmonton Thursday to apply for changes to his bail conditions which were imposed while he appeals war crime convictions by a U.S. military commission.

An affidavit by Khadr filed with the court says the impact of his bail conditions are mainly psychological — a daily reminder of what he went through.

"I feel like the indefinite and potentially endless detention that I suffered in Guantanamo Bay is continuing," he wrote. "I hope that there will be some end to this process, but there is none in sight."

Khadr spent years in U.S. detention at Guantanamo Bay after he was caught when he was 15 and accused of tossing a grenade that killed special forces soldier Christopher Speer at a militant compound in Afghanistan in 2002.

He says in his affidavit that he would like to be able to speak on the phone or over Skype to his sister, Zaynab Khadr. He is also asking to perform the Hajj, a pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, which is a mandatory religious duty for Muslims once in their lifetime.

"For this reason, I would like to apply for a Canadian passport," he says in the document.

Zaynab Khadr has spoken in favour of al-Qaeda and was investigated in Canada more than a decade ago for helping the
terrorist network, but she was never charged.

My sister Zaynab is not presently in Canada," Khadr said in the document. "She is living with her husband and family. As far as I am aware, she is not in any sort of trouble."

The rules of Khadr's bail allow him to meet with her but only in the presence of his bail supervisor or one of his lawyers.

Permission to leave Alberta
Khadr also needs permission to travel outside Alberta, and has made several trips to Toronto both to visit his family and deal with a civil lawsuit there to enforce a judgment granted against him in Utah.

In his affidavit, Khadr said he has been volunteering with an organization that helps refugees integrate into the community and has earned his high school diploma.

Khadr said he is happily married and was accepted into a nursing program, but has been unable to devote himself to study due to his legal issues.

"My reintegration into the community has been filled with happiness and not bitterness," he wrote. "I have no anger towards anyone and I have been getting on with my life. I have made many friends, and I am proud and happy to be a Canadian citizen living in Canada.

"I have not gotten into any trouble of any kind with the authorities."

His case has ignited sharp and divisive debate among Canadians over terrorism, human rights and the rule of law since the summer of 2017 when it was revealed the federal government had settled a lawsuit filed by him for a reported $10.5 million.

The payout followed a ruling by Canada's Supreme Court in 2010 that Khadr's charter rights were violated at Guantanamo and that Canadian officials contributed to that violation.
Feels like he is still in Guantanamo Bay...

Bitch please!

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Feels like he is still in Guantanamo Bay...

Bitch please!
I wonder how he thinks he'd qualify for a passport. There's no way he can pass a background check. There's an even slimmer chance he isn't on all of the no fly lists.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
I'm just an unfrozen caveman, but I'm pretty sure knowing about it ahead of time and allowing it to happen is a form of involvement.
He means that Canada isn't responsible or involved in the reason for her arrest but they are honoring the treaty to extradite if America coughs up the reasonable evidence beans that she's guilty of the charge.

However colluding with Huawei is a mistake. You see the back alley tactics they are using over not getting what they want, asking you to break the law and you don''t think that they will have access to sensitive information about your infastructure obtained through Huawei's ventures abroad you are seriously so desperate for this cash that you will do it knowing they are tapping you and it's sad.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
He means that Canada isn't responsible or involved in the reason for her arrest but they are honoring the treaty to extradite if America coughs up the reasonable evidence beans that she's guilty of the charge.
And they could have given the Chinese the heads up or just ignored the request. They chose to let it happen.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
It's a form of involvement. He knew about it and let it go down in his backyard. He's denying involvement because he's afraid of the commie blowback.
My English is challenged but even I understood this to mean to Canadians that the Canadian government isn't involved in the reason she was detained, they're just obeying the law in regard to it and not that he is trying to sooth the Chinese government. It's already apparent that unless Canada ignores the treaty and let her go that they are going to get blowback.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
It's already apparent that unless Canada ignores the treaty
Which they could have done and have chosen not to. They also could have let her go through the airport without detaining her. They chose to comply with the wishes of the Americans. That is the definition of involvement.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
Which they could have done and have chosen not to. They also could have let her go through the airport without detaining her. They chose to comply with the wishes of the Americans. That is the definition of involvement.
They could just choose to ignore it?
It's a law and the Americans knew that the Canadians knew.

So you think that the prime minister can tell rcmp to ignore the extradition law and let her go and nothing would happen?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
They could just choose to ignore it?
It's a law and the Americans knew that the Canadians knew.

So you think that the prime minister can tell rcmp to ignore the extradition law and let her go and nothing would happen?
I can't pretend to know, but more than likely the outcome would have been nothing. Like the U.S. pissing allover the trade agreements.

Whether or not they could have? Yes, they absolutely could have done it and dealt with the consequences.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
I can't pretend to know, but more than likely the outcome would have been nothing. Like the U.S. pissing allover the trade agreements.

Whether or not they could have? Yes, they absolutely could have done it and dealt with the consequences.
To me this makes no sense how him assuring he wasn't involved is tucking to Chinese fear. He is saying he is not interfering so that the rule of law will be certain if the extradition is valid which is the correct thing to do. He's saying he is not influencing process. The one thing Trudeau is actually good at is following the law. If he was tucking he would have not obeyed the treaty. Clearly he's not tucking.

Trudeau could try to help Meng/China out later but not by ignoring the order which would result in not only the United States getting angry but literally all the allies thinking you are not for democracy but aligned with China.

AFTER she is arrested and AFTER the outcome of the extradition order by Supreme court, it's still up to the minister of justice to approve the extradition. It is here that Trudeau could wield influence if he wanted to but likely wont because if evidence is so great that Meng did something wrong court hearings become publicly accessible and everybody would know he didn't follow the law.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
Historically though, Canada has been all too eager to extradite people so I don't see Trudy doing this.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
To me this makes no sense how him assuring he wasn't involved is tucking to Chinese fear. He is saying he is not interfering so that the rule of law will be certain if the extradition is valid which is the correct thing to do. He's saying he is not influencing process. The one thing Trudeau is actually good at is following the law. If he was tucking he would have not obeyed the treaty. Clearly he's not tucking
Not influencing the process is itself a form of action.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
He did not get involved therefore he's involved?
Correct. It's like of your kids going to walk in front of a moving car and you don't bother to warn them. By not warning them of something you knew would happen you're allowing it to happen.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
Correct. It's like of your kids going to walk in front of a moving car and you don't bother to warn them. By not warning them of something you knew would happen you're allowing it to happen.
She was in China, you expected Trudeau to find her in China and tell her if she flies into Canada they are going to arrest her for for extradition?

It's against the law for him to do that and an invasion of privacy for him to track her down using government resources while she's in another country and also inappropriate to allocate resources and manpower to tip off a foreign alledges "criminal".