General Canadian Politics eh.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I would argue it would it was slimier for the Liberals as opposed to the NDP.

Greens and NDP values align much more than Greens and Liberals.
I'd have to defer to your knowledge of BC specific policies. If we were talking federal politics, they'd be equally slimy.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I think even the Fed NDP is more closely aligned with the Greens as opposed to the Liberals, no?
Depends on which day you ask. Until the last election the Greens were anti abortion, but I can assure you that no one who votes Liberal or NDP wants any part of that scene.

The strength of a minority government is that bills only get passed if the entire government actually agrees with them. These coalition governments have parties trading pieces of their platform in favor of others. The big issue with that is when it happens to be an issue important to you that they use as trade bait. Having said that, you're going to get 12 months of bickering like children until one party feels they have enough polling strength to win a majority at which point they'll do a non-confidence vote and you'll be back at the polls. If I were to bet on it, it'll be the NDP.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
Depends on which day you ask. Until the last election the Greens were anti abortion, but I can assure you that no one who votes Liberal or NDP wants any part of that scene.

The strength of a minority government is that bills only get passed if the entire government actually agrees with them. These coalition governments have parties trading pieces of their platform in favor of others. The big issue with that is when it happens to be an issue important to you that they use as trade bait. Having said that, you're going to get 12 months of bickering like children until one party feels they have enough polling strength to win a majority at which point they'll do a non-confidence vote and you'll be back at the polls. If I were to bet on it, it'll be the NDP.

NDP and Greens have enough mutual agreements on issues to keep them in power for more than 12 months.

The only party that wants and can afford another election in the next 12 months is the Liberals with all their 'corporate' donations.

The NDP and Green will want to collaborate enough to get a large amount of policies and legislation through before another election happens as they want to prove to BC residents they are a viable option.

I think, if this partnership passes the initial tests of confidence, they will be able to hold power longer than 12 months.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
NDP and Greens have enough mutual agreements on issues to keep them in power for more than 12 months.

The only party that wants and can afford another election in the next 12 months is the Liberals with all their 'corporate' donations.

The NDP and Green will want to collaborate enough to get a large amount of policies and legislation through before another election happens as they want to prove to BC residents they are a viable option.

I think, if this partnership passes the initial tests of confidence, they will be able to hold power longer than 12 months.

That's exactly what was said when the Liberals had their federal minority government. Obviously modifying the parties in question accordingly.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Cons fucked up big time, Scheer is Harper Jr. Max would have given Trudeau a good run, but now Trudeau is guaranteed victory.

Aw well, it's great for me. I work in government so Trudeau's big government, spend happy ways will keep beer in my fridge.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Go back to the pro wrestling board and let adults talk politics, dummy.
Trudeau won a majority on the promises he's already broken and the millennial voter is becoming increasingly disappointed in him. The shine has come off of the new car, we'll be looking at a minority government come 2019. Don't regurgitate things you read in the Red Star to people who know better. Let me guess "Scheer won because of Social Conservatives" too?

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
Trudeau won a majority on the promises he's already broken and the millennial voter is becoming increasingly disappointed in him. The shine has come off of the new car, we'll be looking at a minority government come 2019. Don't regurgitate things you read in the Red Star to people who know better. Let me guess "Scheer won because of Social Conservatives" too?
Trudeau makes a heel turn by calling out Canadians, saying if they don't like the broken promises they can kiss his rich ass. Starts carrying a mirror with him to the ring so he can comb his hair in the middle of matches. Maxime Bernier jumps into the ring to help Scheer but instead lays out Scheer with a steel chair to help Trudeau maintain the majority government.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Trudeau makes a heel turn by calling out Canadians, saying if they don't like the broken promises they can kiss his rich ass. Starts carrying a mirror with him to the ring so he can comb his hair in the middle of matches. Maxime Bernier jumps into the ring to help Scheer but instead lays out Scheer with a steel chair to help Trudeau maintain the majority government.
I think if he started wearing more capes, gloves and hats his ratings would soar.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Christy Clark to stay on as B.C. premier — for now
Under a transfer of power, Liberal leader says she would stay on as leader of Opposition
Christy Clark has announced she intends to try to stay on as British Columbia's premier, despite the province's NDP and Green Party leaders making a pact that would give the New Democrats the support of a majority of the MLAs in the legislature.

But she also admitted she was likely to lose a confidence vote — and if so, would resign as premier.

"Our province is at a really historic moment. This is a moment that comes with responsibilities," Clark said.

"We have reviewed the constitutional advice and the historic precedents ... and we will live up to those responsibilities we have. We have a duty to meet the House and to test its confidence ... and I intend to do that in very short order."

Under the power-sharing agreement reached yesterday, that is likely to result in the Liberals losing a confidence vote.

If she loses that vote, Clark said she would be happy to serve as leader of the opposition.

"I am happy to take on ... should the government fail the test of confidence in the House, as seems likely, I would be given the role of leader of opposition, and I would be ready and willing to take that job on."
However, Clark said she didn't want to speculate as to what Lt.-Gov. Judith Guichon would ask NDP Leader John Horgan to do.

"That's up to the Lieutenant-Governor," she said. "The Lieutenant-Governor's decision would be, should my government not meet the test of confidence in the House ... she would ask, I think, the NDP, as the party that has the second-largest number of seats, whether they can govern.

"But she will make that decision."

Clark's announcement came 30 minutes before the NDP and Green Party were to announce the details of their pact.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
NDP-Green alliance to focus on electoral reform, stopping Kinder Morgan and banning big money
British Columbia's NDP and Green parties have signed a detailed agreement outlining how they will work together in government for the next four years. The 10-page accord outlines dozens of policy issues that two sides will work on.

Both parties have pledged to work to stop the federally approved $7.4-billion Kinder Morgan pipeline project that would triple the amount of bitumen moved from just north of Edmonton to B.C.'s coast.

"[We would] immediately employ every tool available to the new government to stop the expansion of the Kinder Morgan pipeline, the seven-fold increase in tanker traffic on our coast, and the transportation of raw bitumen through our province," the agreement said.

The pact will only come into effect if Premier Christy Clark resigns, or if the Liberals are defeated in a confidence motion in the legislature.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Anyone from Portland here? Didnt they recently establish the same... How is it working out?
Not sure how much that would apply seeing as its a completely different economy. Having said that when the minister of labor was interviewed yesterday he was asked why they hadn't done any cost benefit analysis studies. He said "well, we did and nowhere have we seen for sure that it will have a negative impact" the interviewer asked again and pointed out "I'm not asking if you lbe studied whether it will be negative. I asked if you've studied that it will be positive" Turns out they haven't.

The people this sucks for are people who are currently earning 14 and 15 bucks an hour. Because there's no 2 or 3 dollar and hour raise coming their way to compensate for the raise no skill workers are getting. Years of hard work just given away.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Not sure how much that would apply seeing as its a completely different economy. Having said that when the minister of labor was interviewed yesterday he was asked why they hadn't done any cost benefit analysis studies. He said "well, we did and nowhere have we seen for sure that it will have a negative impact" the interviewer asked again and pointed out "I'm not asking if you lbe studied whether it will be negative. I asked if you've studied that it will be positive" Turns out they haven't.

The people this sucks for are people who are currently earning 14 and 15 bucks an hour. Because there's no 2 or 3 dollar and hour raise coming their way to compensate for the raise no skill workers are getting. Years of hard work just given away.

It will definitely be hard on small business owners.

Servers will make bank at $15 per hour plus tips.

I agree, those making around 15 per hour and worked hard to get ahead will be getting shorted. Although I guess, if they dont like their jobs, they can now go find an easier or more appealing one for the same wage.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Although I guess, if they dont like their jobs, they can now go find an easier or more appealing one for the same wage.
Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of equating job difficulty with financial compensation?

Servers likely won't see a substantial wage increase as theyre already paid below minimum wage.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
That's the same as in BC, if you serve alcohol, you get paid under minimum wage.
I figured.

That's a big part of the criticism. About 10% of Ontarians make minimum wage (highest in the country) So realistically, not that many people. The other thing to consider is that most minimum wage positions are part time, rather than full. I've had 8 employment positions in my working life, and I've only earned minimum wage once. Not only does my personal experience suggest minimum wage isn't that common an issue, but the statistics back it up. Now those jobs that I used to strive to move up to making a buck or 2 are either going to cease to exist (which seems more likely) or they'll still be that little bit better wage wise, which completely negates the benefit of upping minimum wage to begin with.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Canada 'deeply disappointed' by U.S. withdrawal from Paris climate deal, Trudeau says
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has spoken with Donald Trump and expressed his disappointment with the U.S. president's decision to pull out of the Paris climate change agreement.

According to a statement released by the Prime Minister's Office, the two leaders spoke after Trump made his announcement about withdrawing from the deal earlier Thursday. They also discussed trade relations between the two countries, according to the statement.

The Prime Minister's Office released a statement from Trudeau reacting to the U.S. decision to abandon the global climate deal.

"We are deeply disappointed that the United States federal government has decided to withdraw from the Paris agreement," Trudeau said in the statement. "Canada is unwavering in our commitment to fight climate change and support clean economic growth. Canadians know we need to take decisive and collective action to tackle the many harsh realities of our changing climate."

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
^ I wonder if Trudeau called Trump on his cell phone?

But for real, it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall and listen in on these conversations.