General Canadian Politics eh.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Exactly, so your whole soap box rant about having black friends seems a little silly now doesn't it.
I didn't have a soapbox rant. I made a statement that wasn't specifically directed at you. Rather than just saying "I think he's a dogshit leader" You instead went through your "Why I'm not racist-resume" followed by "and I think he's a dogshit leader." I thought it sounded funny and pointed that out. Anything inferred beyond that is your own creation.

FYI: I don't know (or care) what race/gender/ethnicity/religion you or anyone you know is. So it'd be pretty difficult for me to be centering you out as a racist.

Freeloading Rusty

Here comes Rover, sniffin’ at your ass
Jan 11, 2016
I didn't have a soapbox rant. I made a statement that wasn't specifically directed at you. Rather than just saying "I think he's a dogshit leader" You instead went through your "Why I'm not racist-resume" followed by "and I think he's a dogshit leader." I thought it sounded funny and pointed that out. Anything inferred beyond that is your own creation.

FYI: I don't know (or care) what race/gender/ethnicity/religion you or anyone you know is. So it'd be pretty difficult for me to be centering you out as a racist.
Anyone who reads back through the comments will be able to make their own opinion on your comments and their intentions. We dont need your revisionist history.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Anyone who reads back through the comments will be able to make their own opinion on your comments and their intentions. We dont need your revisionist history.
I suspect you telling someone to go fuck themselves and accusing them of being on a rant will likely be the standouts.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Yes, it will stand out, along with your attempt at the ' I have black friends' quote.

For context:
Maybe, maybe not. I don't really care one way or the other. Your criticisms of a person should stand on their own merit without a need to qualify why they aren't race or religiously based. It's extremely odd to me that you felt the need to do that, and as I've said several times now, I found it funny. If you're really bent out of shape over it, I don't know what to tell you.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Your criticisms of a person should stand on their own merit without a need to qualify why they aren't race or religiously based. It's extremely odd to me that you felt the need to do that, and as I've said several times now, I found it funny. If you're really bent out of shape over it, I don't know what to tell you.
You brought race into the discussion when you insinuated NDP supporters fault Signh based off his ethnic background and cultural attire as opposed to what he brings to the party.

NDP'ers are looking for every excuse they can to not have to throw their support behind the turban wearing, brown guy come election day.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
'Justice hasn't had its last say': Survivors of the Quebec City mosque shooting in their own words
Survivors of the Quebec City mosque shooting, and loved ones of those who were slain, expressed frustration and confusion on Friday after gunman Alexandre Bissonnette was sentenced to 40 years in prison without the possibility of parole.

"This person who killed six, left 17 orphans, he's being given the chance to walk in society again," said Said El-Amari, who was shot twice by Bissonnette at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre on Jan. 29, 2017.

The Crown had asked for Bissonnette's parole ineligibility periods to be served consecutively, for a total of 150 years, which would have been the longest prison sentence in Canadian history.

As it is, Bissonnette will be eligible for parole when he is 67.

"[The children] will have to show up again, to try to keep this assassin inside," El-Amari, a father of four, said. He was visibly angry and struggled to maintain his composure when speaking with reporters at the courthouse.

He said it sent the message that "a Canadian Muslim is worth less than another Canadian."

Said El-Amari was shot twice by gunman Alexandre Bissonnette. (Maxime Corneau/Radio-Canada)
"For the three RCMP officers who were killed in cold blood in New Brunswick, justice was swift," he said, noting that the gunman in that case, Justin Bourque, was sentenced to 75 years without parole.

"There was never any question of if he'd re-enter society."

El-Amari will be 82 when Bissonnette is up for parole and expects he'll have to "live this pain again."

Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre Imam Hassan Guillet called the sentence "creative," noting that Superior Court Justice François Huot had "insisted on the hateful character of this criminal act."

"[Bissonnette] came to kill these people for the only reason that they were Muslim," he said.

As he read the sentence, Huot said Bissonnette's "crimes were truly motivated by race, and a visceral hatred toward Muslim immigrants."

For Guillet, the sentence is a missed opportunity to send a message to anyone inciting hatred online or elsewhere.

Mosque co-founder Boufeldja Benabdallah said the whole Muslim community is disappointed and surprised by the judge's decision.

He asks Quebecers to understand what it feels like for members of the Muslim community right now.

"I hope, that this disappointment transfers into something productive," he said.

Mosque co-founder Boufeldja Benabdallah said the judge's sentence was a surprise to the community. (Maxime Corneau/Radio-Canada)
Aymen Derbali, who was left tetraplegic after being struck by seven bullets in the shooting, said he had "wanted the sentence to match the crime." He was surprised.

"We would have liked justice to have been served for all the victims," he said.

Mohamed Labidi, the former president of the mosque, said the community rejects the judge's decision.

"We have faith in justice. Justice hasn't had its last say," Labidi said.

Megda and Amir Belkacemi, whose father Khaled Belkacemi was killed in the shooting, thanked the RCMP, provincial police and Quebec City police for doing "a remarkable job."

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Jody Wilson-Raybould became thorn in Liberals’ side before SNC-Lavalin case
As the frigid air of an Ottawa winter howled outside in January 2013, Jody Wilson-Raybould stood at the centre of a mass of national media, trying to be a peacemaker as First Nations chiefs from across the country battled over how to secure a meeting with the sitting government on their terms.

Some wanted to reject a meeting with prime minister Stephen Harper, because they felt their talks should be directly with the crown, or its representative in Canada, Gov. Gen. David Johnston.

Wilson-Raybould was the British Columbia regional chief for the Assembly of First Nations, and she was going to build the bridge between the chiefs, and then between the chiefs and a government many felt was hostile to Indigenous issues.

When the meeting with Harper finally happened, she would later say, she realized change was going to be easier if she was on the inside. So she ran for the Liberals in the 2015 election and won in a downtown Vancouver riding.

Shortly afterward Prime Minister Justin Trudeau would name her Canada’s justice minister.

Fast forward six years, and in the frigid air of another Ottawa January, Wilson-Raybould was grim as she faced the reality that three years after getting one of the highest portfolios in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s cabinet, she was being demoted.

With the enthusiasm of a child being asked to apologize for stealing a cookie, she delivered the agreed-upon line, that moving from Justice to Veterans Affairs was not a negative, that there was “no world” in which serving Canada’s veterans had a downside.

But the reality is she wasn’t being moved because she was universally loved and doing a bang-up job.

She was being moved because she had become a thorn in the side of the cabinet, someone insiders say was difficult to get along with, known to berate fellow cabinet ministers openly at the table, and who others felt they had trouble trusting.

Less than a month later, Wilson-Raybould is at the centre of one of the biggest storms to hit the Trudeau government: allegations the prime minister or his aides pressured her to help Quebec corporate giant SNC-Lavalin avoid a criminal prosecution, and demoted her at least partly because she wouldn’t co-operate.

Trudeau has flatly denied the allegations.

Several Liberals approached Friday said they were confident the story came from Wilson-Raybould herself.

“She’s always sort of been in it for herself,” said one insider who didn’t want to be identified. “It’s never been about the government or the cabinet. Everything is very Jody-centric.”

The fear of reprisal for speaking about anything to do with the situation was running so high Friday most Liberals approached flatly refused.

Treasury Board President Jane Philpott, said to be one of Wilson-Raybould’s closest friends and allies in cabinet, was not available. One former senior staffer said it was too uncomfortable to talk about.

Those who did spoke of a woman who went through staff at a breakneck pace (she has had four chiefs of staff in three-and-a-half years), and only showed up to meetings when she felt like it.

“I think I saw her at Indigenous caucus just once,” said one Liberal.

But there is another view of her from outside government that is far more flattering, a description of a woman who is exceptionally smart and exceptionally driven.

Born into a political family, her father, Chief Bill Wilson, once told Pierre Trudeau, father of Justin, that his daughters were going to be prime ministers one day. Her relationship with her father is sometimes troubled, and one Indigenous source said it is “impossible to talk about Jody without talking about her dad.”

Bill Wilson, who issued words of support for his daughter on social media this week, helped get Indigenous title to land and treaty rights enshrined in the Constitution.

Wilson-Raybould does leave a significant legacy as justice minister. She shepherded two of the biggest changes to Canadian social policy in a generation: physician-assisted dying and legalized marijuana.

“She’s very serious, she’s very credible,” said Sheila North, former grand chief of the Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak, the northern Manitoba chiefs’ organization.

She is bare-legs-in-minus-30-C-windchill tough – that’s how she publicly accepted her new job outside Rideau Hall – a former B.C. Crown prosecutor who is assertive and knows her own mind. Any criticism of Wilson-Raybould for sticking up for her convictions, said North, is rooted in sexism.

“Someone who is very strong and assertive, when it’s a male, it’s not even considered anything that’s negative,” she said.

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
Why do you respect him?
Because he hasnt done anything to lose my respect.

Isnt that the way it works, you show someone respect until they lose that respect?

A lawyer and leader of a Federal party by the age of 40. Must be doing something right.

M

member 1013

Because he hasnt done anything to lose my respect.

Isnt that the way it works, you show someone respect until they lose that respect?

A lawyer and leader of a Federal party by the age of 40. Must be doing something right.
I don’t respect any politician until they earn it.

I’m hard as fuck like the roc pile

Freeloading Rusty

Jan 11, 2016
No one here really cares I don’t think. I am in construction and at the office we all just laughed cause SNC-LAVALIN is super corrupt and so is JT Money.
Isnt everything in Quebec corrupted by organized crime?